View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:29 am 
Hello,

I have been working on getting my program guide sorted correctly in this thread: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13391. However, now that I think I have figured out why the guide sort is all off, I decided to ask in the DTV forum specifically to see if anyone else has run into this issue.

Some background: I have two tuner cards in my system. A PVR-150 and a AirStar HD5000. Both are connected to my basic cable line. The PVR-150 picks up all of the basic cable analog channels. While the HD5000 picks up the QAM256 digital channels (of which only the OTA network channels are unencrypted).

The problem as I have been able to determine is that in MythTV, but not MythWeb, the program guide is sorted using the "atsc major_chan" and "atsc_minor_chan" fields in the "channels" table. The problem occurs when those fields are "0" which they have to be on the QAM256 channels. Once I have even one channel that has those two fields filled in with 0's, the entire channel sort order is messed up (for an example of the sorting check out the above listed thread).

I have tried completely deleting and recreating the entire tuner configuration, but have the same results once I have completed configuring the HD5000. One other person has posted in that thread complaining of the same problem. However, I'm sure that someone else out there, much smarter than I am, has had this problem and resolved it. As Modemboy stated in the other thread, the channels are sorted properly in MythWeb and the Channel Editor, but not in the program guide for some reason.

Is there anything else we can do to get the channels sorted by number properly?

LinHES 8.4
HDHR3
BioStar A770, AMD X2 4050e, 2GB RAM
GigaByte GeForce 8400, Chaintech AV710
USB-UIRT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:16 am 
Perhaps Mythweb is using a different sorting algorithm, or is sorting on Channel Number.
Not knowing much about how the US setup works and how you get your EPGs, so this may be a silly question, but, what happens if you renumber the Channel Numbers to more sensible values, say 111 for 11.1?

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:49 am 
Well,

I'm also not sure where this numbering scheme came from, but it does have it's benefits since channel 11.1 is the digital version of the broadcast channel 11. With this numbering scheme, the two channels would be next to each other in the guide, making it easier to see between the two.

Though the actual number or text in the "channum" field doesn't seem to matter much when it comes to the sort order in the frontend program guide. I have tried various numbering schemes there, and it never makes much of a difference. That was what had me so stumped. It wasn't until I figured out that the frontend program guide seems to use the "atsc_major_chan" and "atsc_minor_chan" fields to do the program guide sorting that things started to make even a little sense.

Of course, the "atsc_xxxxx_chan" fields are only editable directly in the database, not via the channel editor.

I guess I am hoping that there is some setting buried somewhere that would change what fields in the database the program guide uses to do its sort. I alreayd know about the option in "Settings -> TV Settings -> General" to change the "Channel ordering" by either "channel number" or "channel name". It is when selecting "channel number" that the program guide is sorted all crazy-like. If I pick "channel name" the program guide is sorted correctly by station callsign. However, I would really like it to be sorted correctly by channel number.

As we have mentioned, the listings are sorted correctly in MythWeb and in the Channel Editor. They are just don't seem to be sorted correctly in the Program Guide (either while watching live TV or when scheduling a recording using the guide.)

LinHES 8.4
HDHR3
USB-UIRT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:41 am 
I've had the same problem with my QAM channels - I've even tried editing the atsc_major/minor_chan in the DB and that sorted them right, but then most of them didn't tune! Apparently those fields aren't just for sorting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:53 am 
Yep, same issue I had. Glad to hear of some other reports of the same problem. Guess someone should submit a bug ticket for Myth.

LinHES 8.4
HDHR3
USB-UIRT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:16 am 
Yeah, I think it is safe to say this is clearly a bug that needs to be worked out. It becomes more apparent now that it is common to have multiple tuner types. I am running PVR-250's, an Air2PC and an HD HomeRun. I can collapse the Air2PC and HDHomeRun channels on top of each other by giving them the same number and call sign, but the order still ends up being driven by one or the others major/minor.
It seems like a simple order by on the query.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:49 pm 
I wonder if this issue will be taken care of during the 0.21 update? I tried to read the release notes, but my eyes started crossing. Not sure if it's in that list or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:13 pm 
Seems fixed in 0.21-fixes for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:31 pm 
Did you do anything special to get this to work in .21? Mine is part right and part not so much.

LVM: 120 GB PATA & 320 GB SATA
1GB DDR2
PVR500
DVico Fusion Express
Pioneer DVR-111D
RC6 Remote