View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:21 pm 
Are there some updated install instructions for HD cards in mythtv-setup? I haven't been in there for months and things have changed with R5E50.

Step number 4. Input connections sometimes gives me just;

[DVB:0] (DVBInput) -> source

other times it adds under that (isn't consistant)

-> [V4L:/dev/video0] (television) -> (none)
-> [V4L:/dev/video0] (composite1) -> (none)
-> [V4L:/dev/video0] (S-Video) -> (none)

I've tried several different combinations of setting up listings just for the DVB:0 and for the (television). I suppose my problem is I don't know what the difference is between them. It usually comes back with an error when I exit mythtv-setup that the starting channel is 5-1, which is right, but it doesn't like it.

I'm getting the "can't find the backend" error as well, but I can watch live tv with listings and view the schedule. But now I can't..... I've seen some fixes for this but they haven't worked for me. The backend just dropped while watching live tv.

The Card is a PCHDTV-3000 and just watching broadcast TV. nothing special.

Jorin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:53 am 
I've been using the DVB card type (why doesn't the pcHDTV type work!?!) with my pcHDTV3000 and those seem to work for getting HD channels in coordination with my zap2it account.

Card detection works.
Scanning works.

The question I have for everyone is:

Should I be able to watch digital TV (SD or HD) on a box with an
nVideo chipset (GeForce 400 MX) using a pcHDTV card with a
850MHz P3 w/512MB of ram?

I can tune in - but the playback is SLOoooowwwwwww....

I see a lot of "prebuffering messages" and 'top' definitely says the CPU is loaded (3.xx avg load!)

I get the feeling software MPEG is in use. I've even fiddled with the XvMC
settings in Mythtv -> Setup -> Tv -> playback.

-Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:15 am 
A P3 850 is WAY to slow for HD. The rule of thumb is you need about 3 GHz or equivalent for HD. With only 850 MHz XVMC isn't going to help you either.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but decoding and displaying HD requires some serious horsepower!

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:20 am 
Thanks for the info...

Not to sound stupid... I thought it should have worked since the HD is supposedly being passed straight the the nVidia's hardware MPEG decoder. The CPU's only supposed to be setting up PCI transactions.. (if at all)

That's why I've tried to make sure I'm using nVidia hardware for display (when it's not a PVR-x50)...

Feel free to dispell this misconception for me if that's the case...

In any case, my main box is a 3GHz Dual Core (of which Core #2 Knopp still doesn't play with well. Something got broken in the kernal between R5A15 and R5D1 - I'll be testing for that too once I get my R5D1 backed up... which is also failing. :P )

The 850MHz box was just a test system to see if R5E50 fixed the HDTV problems of previous...

-Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:06 pm 
bkamen wrote:
Not to sound stupid... I thought it should have worked since the HD is supposedly being passed straight the the nVidia's hardware MPEG decoder. The CPU's only supposed to be setting up PCI transactions.. (if at all)

That's why I've tried to make sure I'm using nVidia hardware for display (when it's not a PVR-x50)...
For recording HDTV content a lesser CPU shouldn't have much trouble, but playback requires much more horsepower. You should be fine with your 3Ghz rig for HDTV...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:42 pm 
yea, my question was more of informational purposes since the 850MHz rig was just to test R5E50..

Again, thanks for the replies from everyone.

:D

I'm NOT insane! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:49 am 
I just tried recording ota HD with a celeron 600 and a pcHDTV hd-3000 and it worked to record the hd. I couldn't play back on that box, but I could watch it on my main Myth box with an Athlon XP 3200 512mb ram and an Nvidia 6200LE. I'm using R5D1 on the boxes right now and I'm switching over to R5E50 this afternoon. For what it's worth, with the 6200LE I don't use XvMC and I get fine playback under HD.