View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:13 pm 
I'm currently using my MythTV with a VGA output to my Toshiba 42" widescreen plasma (using the VGA connection). The manual for th TV says that video modes supported are UP to 1024 x 768 on the VGA input. This seems to be confirmed by the Myth box as it "detects" the monitor up to that resolution.

Two questions:

1) When i watch on VGA ouput (even at 16:9 mode) it still only takes up maybe 1/2 of the screen. Do I/Should I mess with the modes or something at this point to get it "right"?

or

2) Do I just get myself a DVI to HDMI convert, plug in the DVI output on the Nvidia card and HDMI to the tv? (There's a big old warning in the TV manual to NOT connect a pc to anything OTHER than the VGA input, but not sure if that's because it'll toast something or because it just won't work--I honestly fail to see why it wouldn't work and NOT harm anything). Anyway, if I plug it into the DVI connection at this point will it "auto-detect" the propery screen size and resolution or must I modify these settings myself?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:00 pm 
I have a similar setup but am using a VGA to component adapter (so that I can define my modelines). I also use a DVI to HDMI connection on another one of my frontend machines and it works better that the VGA connection. And yes it should be plug and go...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:32 pm 
Great, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:57 pm 
Just in case you decide to go with DVI to HDMI and it isn't "plug and go" (mine wasn't) I've written up a little info on how I got it all working here:

http://www.mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewto ... highlight=

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:45 pm 
Well it's sort of plug and go.

Good news is that now I get "full" wide screen at 720p on my Toshiba whereas with VGA it was "stuck" at a 4:3 mode (you could wide screen it, but it wouldn't go the full width of the TV).

The bad news is that when I boot up the system, it gives me a partial screen (where it loads the text Linux stuff). I cannot see the entire screen, so here's what I CAN decipher:

passed an undefined modenumber
Press Return to see video modes

somethinghere (can't read it): cols x rows
some number (can't read it): 80x25
some number 80x50

and so on.

So I'm unable to even use a terminal prompt (I see nothing).

Also, for some strange reason now, when I FF or Rewind at anything other than 3x (like if I pick 5x) the picture gets all pixelated, breaks up, and literally stops FF or RW after about 5 seconds. This is on playback of a previously recorded show.

Makes it difficult to FF through a commercial when you can only do 5 seconds a time (I can try the "skip" but that does it in 1 minute increments and then I have to Rewind 5 seconds a time).

Does NOT do this on VGA mode, for some reason.