View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:15 am 
I am currently in the middle of testing HD on second mythbox. Well tonight I went and scanned Comcast's network for channels. I got some interesting data for the digital channels.

Code:
E3_1 WB

Thats what I got for the WBBMDT out of Chicago. It looks like that Comcast is starting to put some channel data in with the channels.

I am wondering if anyone else has seen this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:01 am 
I haven't done a channel scan recently, but I've read that they have been making some changes lately. They've started encrypting all the HD channels, except the OTA rebroadcasts. For a while I was able to tune ESPN, TNT, and Disc HD through QAM, but now they're encrypted. Maybe they finally figured out how to include the station ids in the streams.

EPIA M1000 - 512MB, 40GB HD, Streamzap
KnoppMyth Folding Team Stats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:29 am 
That sucks that they encrypted those channels I watch discovery a lot. Oh well I haven't had the chance to go throught all the channels to see what I have in my area yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:05 am 
I use Comcast in the California bay area. I get the station ID info for 2 of the digital channels in my area, out of a total of ~50 digital channels.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:53 pm 
cameraready wrote:
I haven't done a channel scan recently, but I've read that they have been making some changes lately. They've started encrypting all the HD channels, except the OTA rebroadcasts. For a while I was able to tune ESPN, TNT, and Disc HD through QAM, but now they're encrypted. Maybe they finally figured out how to include the station ids in the streams.

If this is true, then it foils my dastardly plan to install an HDHomeRun. So much for progress...:evil:

-sTv

Drives: 500Gb IDE; IDE DVD-RW
Mobo: eMachines
Tuners (Analog): PVR-250
Tuners (Digital): DCT-6200 Motorola Cable Box, HDHomeRun (OTA + cable)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:14 pm 
Isn't the answer going to be a tuner that supports the use of a cablecard? That way you can obtain the cablecard from your local service provider and then successfully tune all the premium channels you've subscribed to.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:36 pm 
marc.aronson wrote:
Isn't the answer going to be a tuner that supports the use of a cablecard?
Marc

Never gonna happen for linux unfortunately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:29 am 
ATI is the one that is releasing that tuner. We all know how bad ATI is at providing linux driver support. Maybe we will get lucky and someone like air2pc will create one. Right now I am not holding my breath.

What I really don't like is the fact that Comcast is encrypting channels that are included in standard cable package. I for one would like to have all 75 channels that I get + HD channels unencyrpted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:56 am 
azrael wrote:
ATI is the one that is releasing that tuner. We all know how bad ATI is at providing linux driver support. Maybe we will get lucky and someone like air2pc will create one.

It's not a function of bad Linux support or not. It's that the cable companies will only allow their encrypted recordings to be put onto a system that is locked down, so their customers can't get those recordings off the system. That's why the ATI tuner with Cable Card support will only work on Vista, and only on pre-built pre-certified ("OCUR-enabled") systems.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070109-8576.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:05 am 
I guess they won't be selling too many of those to PVR hobbists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:11 pm 
Given where the industry is going, I think it would be in our best interests if mythtv actually supported a way to honor the various protection flags. I realize that this is not a popular view, but my gut-check is that the cable companies will continue to add the legitimate IP-protection mechanisms they feel are necessary to protect their revenue streams.

Of course, given the open-source nature of mythtv, perhaps that is not doable in a way that would pass certificaiton, since anyone could modify the sources to remove the protection.

It will be interesting to see how this evolves...

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:14 pm 
I think the biggest hurdle is they currently require certification of the actual hardware by CableLabs. And it costs money, like at least $10,000, I think more like $50,000. So unless we all agree to run the exact same hardware and find a way for linux to work with it there is no way possible.