View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Widescreen Help
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:23 pm 
I've read countless forum topics, yet I still can't get something to work as I would expect it to. Maybe I'm missing something, please help if you can:

I have a 47" 1080p LCD (Vizio GV47L)

I hook it up to my old trusty FX 5200. I edit my knoppmyth settings to the modelines suggested. Vizio thinks its running at 1360x768. I think nvidia thinks the same. Everything works, but there are two black bars on both sides of the screen.

Shouldn't those go away on because my PC should be outputting 16:9?

I can choose "wide" on the remote, but that simply stretches my content making people look fat, etc....

My wide screen content (capture HD tv) looks wide screen, but it has boxes on the top,bottom, and the sides. What a waste of screen real-estate.

I'm using the RGB output. Accroding to the TV manual, using the HDMI input (via an DVI - HDMI cable) is not best for PC because "the HDMI input is for HD Video and will only support 640X480 at 60hz from a PC. Use the RGB input for a greater selection of PC formats."

Any tips on utilizing my screen to its fullest?

(edit: I can get "close" to what I think it should be by using the dvi cable to HDMI input. HDMI input gives me more than just "normal" and "wide". It gives me ZOOM. This is good, however, it crops off quite a bit of the top and bottom of the image. Its perfect for letterboxed and some HD content, but live TV and the myth itself loses quite a bit of the top and bottom of the image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:36 pm 
look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Interesting lines from mine:

Code:
(II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1280 x 720

This is what your virtual screen size is - should match your TV.

Code:
(II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
(II) NVIDIA(0):     "ATSC-720-60p"

What modelines are valid? You may have more.

Code:
(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "ATSC-720-60p"

This is the actual modeline that is is using. It may switch around, if you have multiple modelines, for use by the desktop vs. HD playback, or 1080i vs. 720p vs. 480p.
Anyway, this tells you what nVidia THINKS it's sending to the TV.

Post subject: close to solved
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:29 am 
:D

Ok, the following probably is dumb, but I figured something out.

1st: If you use a wide aspect ratio, you have to set the TV to wide setting or things get squished. So, Myth was fullscreen at 1360x768 all along. In Myth Gallery, I uploaded a picture of a square, and the aspect was as expected. So all good there.

2nd: My videos that are played by mplayer are stretched if the TV is in wide mode. So, if I switch to normal mode, the aspect is correct, but there is black bars all the way around... No good. So, I dug around the mplayer manual and tried a few things. Finally, all I did was add: "-monitorpixelaspect 1" in the player settings line and everything now works as expected. Looks like I'm going strong with 720p RGB (VGA) output that looks really great. No overscanning, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:29 am 
Just a couple notes on your TV, 1360x768 is the max supported over the VGA connection for some reason. DVI -> HDMI is the way to go, it DOES support 1920x1080 that way, regardless what the manual says. Its more of a CYA on their part if people can't get things working right a PC. I set one up (on windows so I can't help much in KM) and it looks AWESOME at 1920x1080. Trick is going to be finding the right timings.

Good luck with it, its a nice TV!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:47 am 
Well, you're definitely right. I hooked the TV to Windows XP with the same video card. Using NVIDIA's tool, I easily set 1080p via DVI->HDMI and it did look really good. However, I don't yet have any 1080p content, so does it really make a difference, yet?

Also, why is it not working in Myth following the timings for the TV that are posted in the Wiki (and elsewhere)... It says unsupported mode! I support Linux in many ways. Usually I find it easier than Windows... But when something does not work, the tinkering is maddening!

I suspect that maybe I need to upgrade to the latest NVIDIA driver or something like that... I imagine I will eventually get 1080p via hdmi working......

goofnrox wrote:
Just a couple notes on your TV, 1360x768 is the max supported over the VGA connection for some reason. DVI -> HDMI is the way to go, it DOES support 1920x1080 that way, regardless what the manual says. Its more of a CYA on their part if people can't get things working right a PC. I set one up (on windows so I can't help much in KM) and it looks AWESOME at 1920x1080. Trick is going to be finding the right timings.

Good luck with it, its a nice TV!