View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: BenQ PB6100 and HD
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:41 pm 
We're moving and the projector is going to get hooked up to the new Myth box when I build it. The question I have for you guys is how should the video be optimized for the projector. The projector is 800x600 native and has d-sub, svideo, and regular video input. I plan to use the d-sub input.

The confusion arises because I have hooked the projector to my HD tuner from the cable company and it displays 1080p (the osd says that it's displaying at 1920x1080 which I know it's not doing really, but it's processing the image and showing it). This is through a d-sub to component adapter hooked to the component out on the tuner. When using s-video it only projects in basic analog mode.

I have used my myth boxen (none at this time but I'm upgrading) to display HD on my regular TV using the default tv settings in the install (800x600) from what I can tell. HD just gives black bars top and bottom but looks great regardless. I assume that the video card is processing the HD and down-converting it to 800x600.

So, my question is: should I just set the video to 800x600 and let the projector do it's thing or should I monkey and try to get it to project in 1080p using the d-sub connection from the PC?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:58 pm 
Just set the Myth box to the native resolution of the projector.

Britney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:45 pm 
I think i have this projector, a PB6xxx anyway. I use the VGA out, but then again i only show SD as i have a heat machine prescott processor!

I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to X settings, so i just "upgrade" my KM boxen with the projector plugged in, and it works sweet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:37 pm 
The old box (Athlon XP 3200+) worked fine watching recorded HD shows at 800x600 but I wanted to check to see if there would be any advantage to pushing the higher resolution. I know it's easier to run the projector at it's native resolution but I was afraid some of the HD purists would get mad at me for downscaling :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:40 pm 
hi again, i only record/watch SD as i didn't think there was any point if the native resolution of the projector was not HD ready. Is this thinking incorrect?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:50 pm 
Some will say that the higher res images look better. The only problem with the PB series from BenQ is that they don't have any video processing built in (they have a little, but nothing that's worth using). They are great projectors if you run them at any of the predefined resolutions they are built for (usually native and 1080/720 hd).

Either resolution works pretty well, but when we use the powerful video cards in our systems, all video processing that we need is handled by the computer and the projector just needs to reproduce the image. I think I've pretty much convinced myself to let the card do the scaling and then run the projector at native resolution to get the sharpest image out it possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:53 pm 
so you managed to answer your own question, and mine aswell.... nice work :)

I might give you intention a go also, see if my eyes can tell the difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:07 pm 
My eyes aren't all that great so I have to go by what my wife and friends tell me (I had inter-ocular lens implants 2 years ago to fix the old ones but now I have glare off the edge of the lenses when it's dark and I have a bright image in front of me). This means that even with the great projector, I have to keep a minimum of light on in the periphery so that my eyes have adequate contrast. It's actually a trick that they do in the movie theaters to make the screen look better (the mood lighting helps to let your eyes see more levels of dark).