View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:21 pm 
Is there a guide, or can someone give an idea, how much storage the different HDTV resolutions (540/720/1080i/p) will consume, say, per hour?

I am planning a new machine, and would like to allow for at least 100 hours of storage - if I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:22 pm 
My "rule of thumb" was 10gb per hour for hi-def broadcasts. But not everything digital is hi-def. Cutting commercials will shrink your storage requirements, and if you transcode or convert to Xvid then you'll use even less space. If you don't like to downgrade the video quality, and record mostly hidef, then a 750gb or 1tb disk is what you'll need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:42 pm 
Using the "standard" settings (without changing anything after install), I was getting 12gb/hr for 1080 and 8gb/hr for 720 recordings. Analog is about 4gb/hr.

I was recording 2/3 of my stuff in HD and managed to keep two 200gb drives in lvm (400gb total) about half full all of the time. I would say that on average my wife and I were always about a week behind in our viewings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:47 pm 
mogator88 wrote:
My "rule of thumb" was 10gb per hour for hi-def broadcasts. But not everything digital is hi-def. Cutting commercials will shrink your storage requirements, and if you transcode or convert to Xvid then you'll use even less space. If you don't like to downgrade the video quality, and record mostly hidef, then a 750gb or 1tb disk is what you'll need.

Yes, I don't want to downgrade quality. 1TB was my first guess, so that's a good guide. thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:50 pm 
ik632 wrote:
Using the "standard" settings (without changing anything after install), I was getting 12gb/hr for 1080 and 8gb/hr for 720 recordings. Analog is about 4gb/hr.

I was recording 2/3 of my stuff in HD and managed to keep two 200gb drives in lvm (400gb total) about half full all of the time. I would say that on average my wife and I were always about a week behind in our viewings.

Viewing habits can be different, for example, my current setup has 500GB and all SD (4GB per hour max), and it seems just about right for the way I watch. It helps me estimate what I need though, so thanks.