View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:38 am 
manicmike wrote:
The next version of KM won't have my Perl script, though (my setup scripts choose Shepherd as the oztivo default).
The reason is this: My script totally relies on oztivo's people telling me when they change something (which they don't) and there is no redundancy. You have the choice, but I'll be sticking with Shepherd for now.
Mike

Wise move Mike, redundancy is a great feature of shepherd, my tv guide info is kinda mission critical, I have come to rely on it for what's on the box.

Hey, just on another bug, did you get caught out when daylight savings ended a week later? I applied the timezome tzdata update but PHP has internal daylight savings data (gets the timezone from the system). This caused mythweb to function one hour earlier (mythfrontend was fine). Hope there is a fix because daylight savings starts 3 week earlier this coming October.

Cheers,

deMyth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:12 am 
deMyth wrote:
Hey, just on another bug, did you get caught out when daylight savings ended a week later? I applied the timezome tzdata update but PHP has internal daylight savings data (gets the timezone from the system). This caused mythweb to function one hour earlier (mythfrontend was fine). Hope there is a fix because daylight savings starts 3 week earlier this coming

No. The tzdata update fixed it for me. I didn't notice any discrepancy with mythweb (then again I don't use it that often).

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:28 am 
manicmike wrote:
deMyth wrote:
funny how a broken tv grabber script brings script hackers out of the woodwork.

Yes, truly hilarious! :-)

I fixed my script to use wget rather than curl. Also, the fix mentioned earlier only allows the retrieval of the channel listing. I applied the wget mod for the data also.

The new script is at http://www.better-access.com/KM/tv_grab_au
The diff is as above, but append .diff

I tested it, and it works quite well. The next version of KM won't have my Perl script, though (my setup scripts choose Shepherd as the oztivo default).
The reason is this: My script totally relies on oztivo's people telling me when they change something (which they don't) and there is no redundancy. You have the choice, but I'll be sticking with Shepherd for now.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike!

I'll give it a test tonight and see how it goes.

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:41 am 
manicmike wrote:
The new script is at http://www.better-access.com/KM/tv_grab_au
The diff is as above, but append .diff

I tested it, and it works quite well. The next version of KM won't have my Perl script, though (my setup scripts choose Shepherd as the oztivo default).

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Gave it a shot, appears ok so far. Couple of errors when ran

Useless use of array element in void context at /usr/bin/tv_grab_au line 320.
Useless use of private variable in void context at /usr/bin/tv_grab_au line 320.
Useless use of array element in void context at /usr/bin/tv_grab_au line 322.
Useless use of private variable in void context at /usr/bin/tv_grab_au line 322.

Appears to be loading guide data without issues though.

Once again thanks for the update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:45 pm 
re: Shepherd - I had to change the crontab to a script because it doesn't fire in order if the grabbing session takes too long...

# nano /home/mythtv/getlistings.pl

#!/bin/sh
# run shepherd grabber as per crontab
/home/mythtv/.shepherd/shepherd
# run mythfilldatabase to build it for mythtv
/usr/bin/mythfilldatabase --file 1 -1 /home/mythtv/.shepherd/output.xmltv
/usr/bin/mythfilldatabase --file 2 -1 /home/mythtv/.shepherd/output.xmltv

Next ad the auto script to run some time each day - Mine is 4pm so change yours to something else.

# nano /etc/crontab

# run shepherd grabber at 4:01pm every day
01 16 * * * mythtv /home/mythtv/getlistings.pl

I've updated my howto :)

Cheers

Bj

Frontend3:Centrino in cubby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:45 pm 
I managed to get Shepherd working easily by just following Bj's changeover method but not using cron. I wanted to avoid cron because my machine sleeps most of the time and only wakes when I turn it on or by ACPI to record something. If the time did not correspond to the cron time, mythfilldatabase would be not run.

Instead I followed the method given in the Shepherd installation web. I created a symbolic link from tv_grab_au to shepherd by executing the following code as root.
Code:
ln -s /home/mythtv/.shepherd/shepherd /usr/bin/tv_grab_au

Now every time mythfilldatabase runs so too does shepherd. mythfilldatabase runs as dictated by the MythTV setup.

I also disabled a lot of the unnecessary features of shepherd (imdb, tvdb, hdtv) and some of the more obscure grabbers. It took me a while to find how to do this so I will share my findings. The code I used
Code:
~/.shepherd/tv_grab_au --disable imdb_augment_data

It will then respond with the list of grabbers and databases and whether they are disabled. I just kept repeating the process changing the last part of the line to whatever I wanted disabled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:04 pm 
nicom wrote:
I managed to get Shepherd working easily by just following Bj's changeover method but not using cron. I wanted to avoid cron because my machine sleeps most of the time and only wakes when I turn it on or by ACPI to record something. If the time did not correspond to the cron time, mythfilldatabase would be not run.

Instead I followed the method given in the Shepherd installation web. I created a symbolic link from tv_grab_au to shepherd by executing the following code as root.
Code:
ln -s /home/mythtv/.shepherd/shepherd /usr/bin/tv_grab_au

Now every time mythfilldatabase runs so too does shepherd. mythfilldatabase runs as dictated by the MythTV setup.

I could never get that to work. I just tried it again on a fresh build, and it still won't run mythfilldatabase as per mythtv-setup. Anything special you need to do here? I would rather not use cron, but had no choice as the built in session running thing just won't work for me?!

Cheers

Bj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:06 am 
Quote:
I could never get that to work. I just tried it again on a fresh build, and it still won't run mythfilldatabase as per mythtv-setup. Anything special you need to do here?
My knowledge of this is pretty poor but the only reason I can think it went wrong is that the link did not work because the file /usr/bin/tv_grab_au already existed. You need to get rid of the original file (I renamed it tv_grab_au.bak) and then use the link command.

You can check to see if the it is linked by
Code:
ls -l /usr/bin/tv_grab_au
It should list the file with an "l" as the first character and show the target file at the end of the line.

I have it working on my working KM machine and a mythbuntu test machine I am playing with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:12 am 
Thanks for the reply, and yes it's linked properly and runs on it's own as tv_grab_au manually - as in mythfill runs shepherd etc from the tv_grab_au link, but it just doesn't do it automagically like it's been told to by the frontend settings... This has never worked for me under any build since R5E30. :roll:

Must be something I've overlooked again... cron will have to do it till I sort that out...

Code:
# echo "# Run Mythfilldatabase each day at 4:20pm" >> /etc/crontab
# echo "20 16 * * * mythtv /usr/bin/mythfilldatabase --quiet" >> /etc/crontab

Cheers

Bj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:29 pm 
Hi bj,

Could be stating the obvious here, but isnt there a time window setting on the backend (or frontend) that determines when the mythfilldatabase runs?

The other thing that comes to mind is that you may not have "informed" mythtv that you are using australian sources (ie. mythfilldatabase from mythtv doesnt know to call tv_grab_au). I believe this setting is also in the backend?

Hope that helps,

Nathan

Cooling: Zalman cu?,
Display: Benq xx projector

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:41 pm 
I've got Shepherd to work with my mythtv setup however I'm having a little trouble getting the HD channels going for my region (71 - Southern NSW).

The HD channels work OK but my region has WIN instead of Nine. I can specify NineHD (which is available for my region) but that obviously isn't WINHD which comes from Canberra.

I managed to get Southern Cross HD (Ten) working by modifying channels.conf and taking a guess and appending HD to the source however that didn't work for WIN.

Is there a list of all the possible sources or perhaps someone might know which one I could use for WINHD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:44 pm 
I had that problem, mine was calling tv_grab_oztivo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:38 am 
nmcaullay wrote:
Hi bj,

Could be stating the obvious here, but isnt there a time window setting on the backend (or frontend) that determines when the mythfilldatabase runs?

The other thing that comes to mind is that you may not have "informed" mythtv that you are using australian sources (ie. mythfilldatabase from mythtv doesnt know to call tv_grab_au). I believe this setting is also in the backend?

Hope that helps,

Nathan

I've check it, and if I run mythfilldatabase manually from the terminal $ as mythtv it will call tv_grab_au which I symlinked to shepherd. That part seems fine, as the data fills out perfectly. The bit that doesn't work is time window setting part. I gather the numbers you select for the window are 24hr times as in mine is set for 4 and 6 which should be 4am and 6am? Other than that I can't see why it doesn't work?!

Thanks

Bj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:03 am 
Hi bj,
unless you have been testing it between 4am and 6am, i would suggest the time window is the problem. Unless you leave it on overnight that is... or are up watching uefa champions league!

If the machine is indeed on at those times, does the system info (in the frontend) suggest mythfilldatabase has run?

Cheers,

Nathan

Cooling: Zalman cu?,
Display: Benq xx projector

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:11 pm 
nmcaullay wrote:
If the machine is indeed on at those times, does the system info (in the frontend) suggest mythfilldatabase has run?

No it only shows the last manual one I'd run. My Backend machine runs all the time 24/7 because I have remote frontends hanging off it, and FEs don't work without a server :) . Is there any other way to set the mythfill run times other than the GUI? I'd like to be able to "check" that it has indeed done what the GUI is set for.

Cheers

Bj

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next