View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:57 am 
Hi, I've been using MythTV for a few years now to do analog capture, and I'm setting up a new myth box to do just QAM capture. The one thing I'm confused about is how to make the SchedulesDirect data line up with the QAM channels that get tuned in. I thought this page would have the answer:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Ad ... uner_Cards

However, right at the top it says, "Note: MythTV as of 0.20 has an easier to use method, however the below info may still be useful if the builtin channel scanner fails to find your channels. Instead of hacking the database you should scan for channels in mythtv-setup and then use the frontend channel editor, 'E' in LiveTV mode, to edit the channels."

I've done that, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do once I'm in the channel editor. What exactly do I change? I've found someone on the internet who seems to have the same setup I have and it looks like they may have figured it out, but they don't seem to describe what to do (unless I'm missing something):

http://fuhm.net/boston_rcn_channels.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:31 pm 
See http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13887 for starters. You'll need a 'broadcast' lineup at SD, then scan for channels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:17 pm 
slowtolearn wrote:
See http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13887 for starters. You'll need a 'broadcast' lineup at SD, then scan for channels.

Hmm, I checked out that thread, and I'm not sure it applies to what I'm trying to do, since I'm going the pure QAM route. I've already scanned for channels, and MythTV found them all.

In fact, this confuses me even more: "This setup (SDTV and HDTV) requires 2 lineups @ Zap2It, as punditguy said. One for your analog or digital cable channels feeding the PVR-x50, the other is "Local Broadcast Listings - Antenna" to cover your HDTV." How do any antenna listings cover things like The Food Network HD and National Geographic HD and ESPN2 HD? I'm not going to be capturing anything but QAM, so my thinking has been that I just need to use the Digital RCN cable lineup from SchedulesDirect and then remap all 98 or so channels I get over QAM to the appropriate equivalents on Digital RCN cable.

For instance, channel 77-2 (or 77#2 as MythTV calls it), is the Food Network in HD. Now normally that's channel 181 as far as SchedulesDirect knows. Maybe I can use the Channel Editor in MythTV to get the 'Digital' RCN schedule listings to correlate to the QAM frequencies that MythTV has already tuned in?

SD channel frequencies don't correlate to QAM frequencies any better than digital cable box channel numbers do, so I don't see how SD schedule data can help me, but maybe I'm missing something...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:44 pm 
You'll need to identify which channel is what network (77-2 = Food Network, etc.) and set the XLMTV ID for each in the Channel Editor. You can find the XMLTV ID by hovering your mouse cursor over the channel in question on SD's site. Your lineups on SD don't know anything about what is being offered via QAM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:37 pm 
slowtolearn wrote:
You'll need to identify which channel is what network (77-2 = Food Network, etc.) and set the XLMTV ID for each in the Channel Editor. You can find the XMLTV ID by hovering your mouse cursor over the channel in question on SD's site. Your lineups on SD don't know anything about what is being offered via QAM.

Aha! That's the key piece of information I've been looking for. Thanks so much!

So, has anyone thought of some sort of community/group effort to create a repository of mappings? Seems kind of absurd that every person who goes the QAM route has to repeat the same tedious remapping. There's got to be a better way...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:17 am 
There's also an option on the Schedules Direct website to run a report of your lineup. This report contains the XMLTV ID, which saves a lot of time versus using the hover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:47 am 
The main problem with recording the QAM feeds is that the cable companies love to change the channel mappings periodically. This usually requires going into the mythtv-setup and rescanning some frequencies to account for the changes. It took me a couple of days to get my QAM feeds corrected when my comcast provider added the local Fox station in HD.

Silicon Dust has a page on their site that lists channels for different cities.

EPIA M1000 - 512MB, 40GB HD, Streamzap
KnoppMyth Folding Team Stats

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:35 pm 
Im in boston too and was thinking of getting a new HDTV card for the RCN QAM. Just wondering which card you ended up with and how you like it so far...

nray wrote:
Hi, I've been using MythTV for a few years now to do analog capture, and I'm setting up a new myth box to do just QAM capture. The one thing I'm confused about is how to make the SchedulesDirect data line up with the QAM channels that get tuned in. I thought this page would have the answer:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Ad ... uner_Cards

However, right at the top it says, "Note: MythTV as of 0.20 has an easier to use method, however the below info may still be useful if the builtin channel scanner fails to find your channels. Instead of hacking the database you should scan for channels in mythtv-setup and then use the frontend channel editor, 'E' in LiveTV mode, to edit the channels."

I've done that, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do once I'm in the channel editor. What exactly do I change? I've found someone on the internet who seems to have the same setup I have and it looks like they may have figured it out, but they don't seem to describe what to do (unless I'm missing something):

http://fuhm.net/boston_rcn_channels.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:02 pm 
Irishcream wrote:
Im in boston too and was thinking of getting a new HDTV card for the RCN QAM. Just wondering which card you ended up with and how you like it so far...

I got the AVerTV HD A180:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/AVerTV_HD_A180

It seems to work just fine in the limited testing I've done so far (scanned for channels, flipped through them to see how they came in). SD capture is not supported on this card in Linux, so all it will do is ATSC/QAM in Linux, and with that it seems to do a fine job (at least as good as the built-in QAM tuner in my TV).

I chose it because it was one of the first QAM cards after the pcHDTV cards that was supported by Linux, and it's relatively inexpensive ($50 after rebate at Newegg right now):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100021