View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:35 pm 
My local PBS station until recently broadcast SDTV 4:3 shows as actual 4:3. Now for no apparent reason they've switched to instead use 16:9 with side boxes. So kiddie shows now appear on our 4:3 analog TV as if they have a wide black frame around a smaller image. Of course my son complains until I fix it every time.

So I tried 16:9 Zoom mode. This makes the 4:3 show fit my TV perfectly again. The problem is, at regular intervals across the screen vertically, it blanks out thin horizontal bands. It's like watching TV through cheap window blinds. I don't know if that's what other people call "tearing" but the term sounds about right. It's especially noticeable with animated shows.

4:3 Zoom mode fixes that problem. Unfortunately it also cuts off part of the picture! My son doesn't care, but it really bothers me.

Can someone please tell me what could be happening and how to really fix it? The hardware should be more than fast enough. It's an Asus M2NPV-VM, dual athlon 64, 1 GB RAM, and built-in NVIDIA 6150 video.

I know the real solution is to buy a widescreen HDTV monitor. But I'm holding out until 1080p is less expensive. 8)

Also: When using nuvexport, how hard is it to crop out the silly side boxes? I haven't actually tried yet, but someone else on this forum must have done it already...

Post subject: Tearing video
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:48 am 
I had a problem with tearing before and found that I had to set my PVR150 to capture at 720 X 480 instead of 480 X 480.

That fixed it immediately for any new recordings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:15 am 
I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind but, here is a solution to cropping the sides off for archiving to dvd: Conv letterbox HD to full screen for Archiving dvd (Solved)

myth19kirt is right about capture resolutions. For more on the subject see #4 under "known issues" in tjc's R5F27 Hints - Please read before installing!
Ziggy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:58 pm 
Interesting... This is recorded from off-the-air digital television using a KWorld tuner though. What goes into the file is what came from the antenna.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:57 pm 
Well, you never said what your tuner card was, or what version of KM you are using, or what type of output you are driving your TV with, so what were we to think?

Have you tried turning xvmv on and off? Tried Bob 2X deinterlacing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:18 pm 
I kinda assumed it was obvious that I was talking about a digital tuner. I mean, this is the DTV section of the forum, and I mentioned how the station changed aspect ratios...

My machine has a pair of KWorld ATSC tuners. It runs the latest official KnoppMyth version. The TV monitor gets its signal from the analog TV output on my Asus motherboard. I've tried various options for playback, but I don't remember which. I'll try your suggestions and let you know what happens.

For the nuvexport side-bars question, I still haven't quite worked out how to do it. But someone else asked a few years ago, so I'm not the only one who needs to know. http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10378

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:22 am 
I ran a test on nuvexport just a couple days ago and I recall
that it does have a crop option, but it only goes as high as
maybe 10% which would not be enough for you.

nuvexport is a perl script, so you may be able to hack it to
allow up to say 50% instead of 10% once you have run it once
and thus know what prompt text to search for...

The perl scripts you would need to hack are found in directories
under /usr/local/share/nuvexport

BTW, it was understandable that you were talking HD, but
sometimes we all skim over questions when offering advice... :oops:

Good luck
Cliff

Older dual core 3.4ghz Intel CPU
Asus P5PE-VM Motherboard
2 GB RAM
1 TB LVM2
VirtualBox
Samba

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:49 pm 
jzigmyth wrote:
Tried Bob 2X deinterlacing?

That worked! Thanks!

Bob 2X solved the original problem, but with terrible motion blur. Setting it to "kernel" deinterlacing had good results. I haven't tried any of the other deinterlacing options yet, but this might be good enough.

So: Watching a 4:3 show embedded in a 16:9 signal on a 4:3 TV -- turn on kernel deinterlacing and change playback to 16:9 Zoom mode. Now I just need to figure out how to make the aspect ratio change automatic and only when needed.

I'm pretty good with perl, so I'll dig through nuvexport later.