View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:01 am 
The OTA DTV stations are beginning to advertise that a rescan of your digital channels will be necessary after analog cutoff. This hasn't been much explained, but it appears that they intend to drop the channel numbers which were based on the old analog channel numbers (ie: 5.1, 8. 1) for the actual digital channel numbers (41, 9).

How will Schedules Direct and the Mythtv guide cope with this ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:31 am 
In my area, some of the channels are moving assigned frequencies after the February DTV switch. I am going to do the channel scan in mythtv-setup. Then get the line-ups new channels running mythtfilldatabase with the refresh-all option:

Code:
mythfilldatabase --refresh-all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:57 pm 
Site Admin
I really don't think SD and MythTV will have anything to do as the guide data is already there. As novellahub stated, scan and refresh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:01 am 
novellahub wrote:
In my area, some of the channels are moving assigned frequencies after the February DTV switch. I am going to do the channel scan in mythtv-setup. Then get the line-ups new channels running mythtfilldatabase with the refresh-all option:

Code:

I noticed recently that three PBS OTA stations in my area were not tunable by my HDHR anymore. There were a couple of cable channels that my HDHR could no longer tune as well (Tuner 1 is cable, Tuner 0 is OTA).

I rescanned both Tuners and found that there were many more cable channels scanned than before.

So, what's changed? Many of these "new" channels are tunable by my PVR-250, so they were not encrypted. Why suddenly can my HDHR "see" these channels? (most of them are reported as nonsense channel numbers (i.e., 103#3, etc)).

It's not much fun "decrypting" the channel information so that the channel guide looks...well, more professional...and I know I'm not alone in my feelings about this, so I'll shut up about it and hope that the correct channel information is someday included in the broadcast signal...someday...

I'm thinking that preparing for the "deactivation" of my PVR-250 would be prudent.

Am I barking up the right tree or what?

I'd rather use my HDHR than the PVR-250 as the picture quality is much better, so I have no complaints if my PVR-250 gets retired.

Anybody else seeing this?

-sTv

Drives: 500Gb IDE; IDE DVD-RW
Mobo: eMachines
Tuners (Analog): PVR-250
Tuners (Digital): DCT-6200 Motorola Cable Box, HDHomeRun (OTA + cable)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:58 am 
novellahub wrote:

Code:

Is there a way I could assign this command to a button in the Mythtv GUI - so my non-Linux friends can activate the command without my help?

The channel rescan process, with a forced mythfilldatabase at the end was just needed on Feb.18 because some of the digital channels in Minneapolis changed channel numbers at midnight on Feb.17-Feb.18.
The same process is going to be necessary again when we come the final anlog-off date in June, when Minneapolis DTV stations are going to change frequency, channel number, etc.

Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:35 pm 
neutron68 wrote:
Is there a way I could assign this command to a button in the Mythtv GUI

Of course!

Code:
$ diff /usr/share/mythtv/tv_schedule.xml /home/mythtv/.mythtv/tv_schedule.xml
279a280,291
>     <button>
>        <type>TV_REFRESH</type>
>        <text>Update Listings</text>
>        <action>EXEC xterm -fn *18* -e mythfilldatabase --refresh-all</action>
>     </button>

>     <button>
>        <type>TV_RESCHED</type>
>        <text>Re-schedule</text>
>        <action>EXEC mythbackend --resched</action>
>     </button>
>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:40 pm 
From my understanding, the original channel numbers will remain so that folks can go to their favorite just as before which is the reason for the mapping process. With the digital they now may have more options as in the original analog transmission it was a single station. Switching to digital allows that same bandwidth to carry more than a single stream of data so there could be possible 4 streams. ie, .1 .2 .3 .4

With the total shutdown of the analog transmitter, some stations will be coming back on air with the same channel assignment only now with a digital signal. I believe for those situations a rescan would be advisable as while the station was running both the analog & digital, the digital would have been on a different temporary channel which could be someone elses future digital carrier when the switch over is completed.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:12 pm 
Code:
$ diff /usr/share/mythtv/tv_schedule.xml /home/mythtv/.mythtv/tv_schedule.xml
279a280,291
>     <button>
>     </button>

>     <button>
>     </button>
>
Hi Nigel. Thanks for stepping forward with a method. I'm not sure what to do with this, however.

I see the new button names and the code to perform the actions. That makes sense.
Then, I see a diff command (which I've never used before ) and 2 different file names listed - add this button code to BOTH of the files? And where in the files does it get added?

I need a little clarification, if you have time.

Thanks,
Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:05 pm 
diff compares two files and shows how they differ. In this case it's telling you that after line 279, 11 lines (280-291) were inserted (the '>' in the first column) with the contents shown.

What you should do is copy the file from /usr/share/mythtv:
Code:
cp /usr/share/mythtv/tv_schedule.xml /home/mythtv/.mythth/tv_schedule.xml

Then add the 11 lines shown. If you're moderately clever you can do it via cut and paste from a browser to a shell session (edit the file with nano).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:08 pm 
The diff isn't quite ready to use as a patch (I should've used diff -u). I assumed you would just edit the file and add those lines near the end, but yes, I can clarify. As the mythtv user (i.e. start an xterm with Alt-X),

Step 1: Create a patch file
Code:
cat >/tmp/sched.patch
--- /usr/share/mythtv/tv_schedule.xml   2008-07-02 14:05:15.000000000 +1000
+++ /home/mythtv/.mythtv/tv_schedule.xml        2009-01-16 23:32:18.000000000 +1100
279a280,291
>     <button>
>     </button>
>
>     <button>
>     </button>
>
and press control-D. Note that the last line has a space and newline after the >

Step 2: Make a copy of the existing Scheduling menu:
Code:
cp /usr/share/mythtv/tv_schedule.xml /home/mythtv/.mythtv/tv_schedule.xml

Step 3: Add those sections in:
Code:
cd /home/mythtv/.mythtv
patch tv_schedule.xml </tmp/sched.patch

Step 4: Restart the frontend, go into the TV -> Schedule Recordings menu, and try the button.

If you have problems with the patch, I can put the patch file up somewhere on the Wiki. I will need to know what version of the menus you have, though (e.g. mythbackend --version)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:54 am 
neutron68 wrote:
novellahub wrote:

Code:

The channel rescan process, with a forced mythfilldatabase at the end was just needed on Feb.18 because some of the digital channels in Minneapolis changed channel numbers at midnight on Feb.17-Feb.18.
The same process is going to be necessary again when we come the final anlog-off date in June, when Minneapolis DTV stations are going to change frequency, channel number, etc.
Eric

On a separate note on those PBS stations changing, I have reported the lineup changes to Schedule Direct. They replied and said the lineup change is being sent Tribune. So far schedules direct still has the old listing lineups of the KTCA 17 set that does not exist anymore. I was able to scan for the new channels but they are associated still with the old channels.

Post subject: got it
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:25 pm 
Thanks very much for the lessons, everyone. :D

nigelpearson wrote:
I assumed you would just edit the file and add those lines near the end

Yes, that's what I plan to do. I fully understand that process - including copying text from this forum and pasting it into an SSH (putty) window, with the nano editor running.

Now that you've explained the diff command and process, the process does make sense to me. However, in this particular situation, it seems like a lot of steps to perform just to insert 10 lines of text. So, I'll print and file this knowledge in my Knoppmyth 3-ring binder for future reference.

addition:

I just started the edit process and looked for the 2 files mentioned and discovered that there was no /home/mythtv/.mythtv/tv_schedule.xml file. Should there be? I have R5.5 installed with auto upgrade.

After adding the edits to the /usr/share/mythtv/tv_schedule.xml file and saving the file, the desired menu options are available to me in the Mythth GUI menus. I guess this is the file that matters, of the 2 mentioned?

Thanks again,
Eric

Post subject: Re: got it
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:32 pm 
neutron68 wrote:
I just started the edit process and looked for the 2 files mentioned and discovered that there was no /home/mythtv/.mythtv/tv_schedule.xml file.

Step 2, Eric :)

Having a local copy of any menu changes you make means that it will keep working between backup/upgrade cycles of KnoppMyth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:58 pm 
Step 3 is profit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:42 pm 
Thanks for the info! You guys helped me a lot.

Two of our channels (by an amazing coincidence the two channels that broadcast about 90% of the shows we watch) stopped working. Rumor was that they are neighbors physically so they share a common power supply and it went out... But it turned out to just be a rescan thing.

Our local PBS station now suggests to "rescan monthly". :shock: