View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:08 pm 
In my push forward to come up with an economical myth solution I have been trying to find a non branded (Cheap) tuner card.

I have tried many cards in the past and have always found I either had to but an expensive branded product or older products which weren't comonly available.

I Found the above card which is commonly availble and cheap but did not work (out of the box) with either R5 or R6. I was looking for a PCI solution to avoid USB problems, this card is what I believe they call a bristol a usb device built onto a PCI card with a usb controller built in.

I did some digging around and found the firmware and placed it in the /lib/firmware

The Firmware can be found at http://www.otit.fi/~crope/v4l-dvb/af9015/af9015_firmware_cutter/firmware_files/4.95.0/dvb-usb-af9015.fw

Having loaded the firmware the device is detected as single tuner the firmware dosnt get loaded into the second tuner.

I added a line in /etc/modprobe.d to enable the second tuner, this is no longer needed as recompiling dvb-v4l seems to load the second tuner automaticaly.

The easiest way to get the card to work is to recompile v4l-dvb. using the following steps (This is R6)

Code:
su
pacman -Sy base-devel
pacman -Sy mercurial
hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb
cd v4l-dvb
make
make install
cd /lib/firmware
wget http://www.otit.fi/~crope/v4l-dvb/af9015/af9015_firmware_cutter/firmware_files/4.95.0/dvb-usb-af9015.fw
reboot

You will need to do a cold boot to get the firmware to load into both devices. I have noticed a couple of times that the second device isnt recognised on a warm boot I will do some more tests and see if I can find a solution.

I am currently testing this is my live box. I tried it in my test box using multirec and recorded 8 programs simultaniously.(4 from each tuner). Whilst playing back another program using vdpau on an asus AT3N7A-I atom/ION board. The CPU never got over 25% with 1gb of ram. I think I may of found my perfect setop box solution.

What I wanted to know is if I do a pacman update will I need to do a make install again or is the current version of v4l-dvb in the linhes update the latest version ??

Asus P5GS
Samsung 750G Sata HDD
8400 512m Video Card
2 * jetway DVB-t
1 * Haupage DVB-S2 Card
Samsung Sata 16x DVDRW
2048M Ram
1 * Netop Ion 330