View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: X
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:57 pm 
My SBE runs a 37" Toshiba Regza LCD tv. I had to create my own modelines for xorg.conf and I have hdtv playback working with libmpeg/xblit. High speed motion (sports) is quite choppy and I'd like to fix it.

What I'm not understanding is that I have a dual core 3.0ghz box. This should be more than enough power to do anything. What I'm finding is that Xorg spikes to over 200%+ cpu while mythfrontend hovers around 60-70%. (Other threads I've opened hadn't mentioned this! Additional investigation uncovered it.)

So I'd like to know if an incorrect modeline would have any bearing on picture quality. To me the answer is YES! of course. But I can't see a bad modeline sucking up so many cpu cycles.

I've also read that standard PCI cards aren't the best choice for playback. So I may go to my onboard VGA port or pickup a PCIx16 card. Any input on this would be welcome!

Thanks, Abs

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:28 am 
I wish I could offer a competent solution to what shouldn't be a problem for your hardware, but I haven't experienced anything like it.

The 6200 Nvidia card should do the trick, I use one to drive a 1080 display.

There's been a lot of threads about 'use events' in the 5.5 and 6 versions, but they are salted around in different categories, so require a bunch of searching.

Meanwhile see if this reading helps any:

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ght=nvidia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:09 am 
Here is an extremely long thread about getting a PCI card to work with xvmc and without. The end result being that it just never produced satisfactory playback. Spiking xorg is mentioned there, too.
http://www.knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtop ... highlight=

Definitely try the onboard stuff before spending money (unless money is no object :) ), It might work fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:37 pm 
Abby

I would recommend trying out the onboard video, go into your bios and make sure that it's devoted 512mb of your memory to onboard video. That way you can make sure you have giving it a good try out..

Hopefully that works out for you.

Since your MSI board has pci slots and not a 16x pci-e slot you can't use a Pci-e card Graphics Card :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:29 pm 
Actually my mobo does have a pci x16 slot and I've seen some 7200GS chipsets which are $28 - $45 and may be worth it. Anyone's opinion on that would be welcome.

Thanks, Abs

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:38 pm 
Go with an nVidia chip that supports VDPAU (8xxx or 9xxx) and you should be happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:15 pm 
I agree with Nharris

In April 2009 I upgraded BE/FE to Abit AN78GS motherboard with AMD Dual Core 5050E Processor. It's an 8200 chipset and so far so good. Works excellent with Knoppmyth 5.5. I really like being able to use on-board graphics. At the time I also experimented with 9400GT but I didn't see any real improvement so I put the card in the closet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:31 pm 
Thanks. I'm going to keep playing with my setup for now to see why my cpu is getting shredded but if I get real frustrated I'll buy the 8xxx or 9xxx.

Abs

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:10 pm 
Abby

Before you go out and get any more hardware try this...

Hook up Onboard Video and set Bios to 512mb for onboard video

Then go into myth
- Utilities Setup - Setup - Tv Settings - Playback - Next -Next
Make sure "Current Video Playback Profile" = Normal

How does it look with top? What processes are big users of cpu time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:25 pm 
Racer >> Thanks. Yes, I am going to do this before buying more stuff. The bios will allow a max of only 256meg so I allocated max.

Now I get "unsupported video signal" from the tv... hmmmm The splash screen came up but not the frontend. Coming into the box via ssh shows mythfrontend up and happily not realizing that the tv is spewing chunks... investigating further...

edit: Using nvidia-xconfig I now have video on the regza, need to adjust its size before moving on. More details to follow. Thanks.

edit2: The initial X window is stuck at 4:3 dimensions. Need to figure this issue out. But the frontend is running in a window within X at 16:9 and output is very smooth tho a little grainy.

edit3: the 4:3 dimensions on the screen are a function of the tv, not the pc. After some zzzzz's I'm going to actually (sit down) read the pdf manual. Yes, read. I know it's a four letter word, my apologies.

Thanks, Abs

Abby

Last edited by abigailsweetashoney on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:30 am 
I think the native resolution on you tv is 1360x768. That's what I would shoot for :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:11 am 
Sounds like your TV is very similar to mine. Perhaps my adventures in X will be helpful. Have a look here:

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20464

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:53 am 
Thanks for the additional tips, especially the R6 tips. I'm staying with R5.5 for a little while longer.

My tv's manual says that 1024x768 is the max supported resolution and others are unsupported. Note that it didn't say they won't work just that they're unsupported.

So... I can either continue futzing around with the tv's vga port or convert to hdmi from the pc's vga out with an adapter--not sure if this is possible but I'm sure cables are available. It does seem strange that if the hdmi and svideo ports on the tv can handle 1366xwhatever that the vga port can't. Any comments here are welcome.

Thanks, Abs

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:31 am 
Ah, I overlooked the fact that you were using a VGA cable which is still an analog signal. I've never messed with the VGA input on my TV. In fact I don't even know if it works or what resolutions it supports. I wouldn't find it too hard to believe that the VGA input only supports a subset of the resolutions that the digital inputs support but I'm obviously not an expert on this.

You might have an easier time getting a card that supports DVI output and using a DVI to HDMI cable. Of course that is "throwing money at the problem" but it may be worth it to go digital.

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:08 pm 
Yes it looks like vga output isn't going to give me 16:9 at any resolution. While the onboard card provides beautiful output (compared to the GeForce 6200 POS) I will most likely have to buy a card with dvi output anyway.

Thanks. Abs

Abby

Go to page 1, 2  Next