View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:09 pm 
The subject says it all. Read more about it here. While the R5 alpha has support for the pcHDTV, this new card requires DVB CVS, which isn't in the alpha.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:55 pm 
cesman wrote:
The subject says it all. Read more about it here. While the R5 alpha has support for the pcHDTV, this new card requires DVB CVS, which isn't in the alpha.

Two questions, one for you (if I may), one to all:

1. Is there work "planned" to include this card in R5 during a later build?
2. Hardware-wise, how does this compare to the PCHDTV HD3000 card?

-brendan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:55 pm 
Anyone can ask me questions...

1. Yes (if it isn't too much trouble compiling DVB CVS, etc.).
2. I don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:49 pm 
2) I believe someone on the irc channel is installing both cards for comparison, and is supposed to write some stuff up.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:23 am 
1. Getting the driver working was a pain. Most likely it won't make it into R5, unless I get a patch to make it work w/o disabling everything.
2. While the card did get a stronger signal than the pcHDTV, I wasn't able to pickup more station with it than with the pcHDTV. At this point, I would not say that it is better than the pcHDTV.

The good news is we do have another option! The best I can offer when R5 are released is simple instructions on getting the card working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:04 am 
cesman wrote:
The good news is we do have another option! The best I can offer when R5 are released is simple instructions on getting the card working.

That's more than expected. thanks!

-brendan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:46 am 
also supposedly it uses less system CPU than the pchdtv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:29 am 
So I've been trying to get this air2pc card working on my system. Here's how lspci sees it:

0000:01:09.0 Network controller: Techsan Electronics Co Ltd B2C2 FlexCopII DVB c
hip / Technisat SkyStar2 DVB card (rev 02)
Subsystem: Techsan Electronics Co Ltd B2C2 FlexCopII DVB chip / Technisa
t SkyStar2 DVB card
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Step
ping- SERR- FastB2B-
Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort-
<MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 32
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 10
Region 0: Memory at ee000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Region 1: I/O ports at 9400 [size=32]

My system is based on KnoppMyth v4r4 which has been bast... err umm improved. It has the 2.6.10 kernel, I got the cvs dvb-kernel a couple of days ago and did the makelinks thing, then ensured that the skystar2 and dvb-core were to be built and that all seemed to go swimmingly.

However, everytime I attempt to modprobe skystar2, my system hangs up tight without so much as a backtrace, panic etc. in the logs. It hangs so tight a power cycle is called for.

note this system is a nvidia nforce2 based system with a pvr350 and a pvr250. CPU is Athlon 2400.

Any ideas? Any way I can coax more info during these hangs?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:34 am 
did you patch the dvb drivers? the last I heard even cvs did not have the proper driver in it and required a patch. there is a page somewhere with a pretty good walkthrough on it. you may want to hop on irc #knoppmyth channel on irc.freenode.org sometime. the guy who wrote the driver is in there sometimes.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:59 am 
From what I've seen in fora etc. it should be necessary to just use the makelinks in cvs
dvb kernel and make config, make etc. No patches needed.

However, this card also crashes windows 2000 in a different system so I am exchanging it for another. I'll post my results when the exchange comes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:10 am 
Thought I'd post an update here on the AIR2PC card.

I got it working! With a CVS from a couple of days ago (say 27 Jan 2005) it is no longer necessary to patch mythtv after getting CVS. CVS now includes the DVB mythtv patches.

You still have to patch the 2.6.10 kernel with dvb-kernel. From what I've read, a lot of people had trouble with 2.6.9, so I wouldn't get anything younger than 2.6.10. But the patch is easy (makelinks then turn on the skystar2 module in menuconfig as well as the nxt2002 frontend under dvb frontends and do a normal kernel and modules compile and install)

I used the MAKEDEV-DVB.sh script to create the /dev/dvb entries copied the dvb-fe-nxt2002.fw firmware to /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware and rebooted.

Did a modprobe skystar2 once I was up again and this time, I got results! So I got the dvb-apps package from www.linuxtv.org and compiled up azap. The make_atsc_chanconf.pl script didn't work for me, so I took a look at the provided us-Raleigh-Durham file and the script and built one for Chicago by hand:
Code:
WPWR:695000000:8VSB:0:0
WSNS:659000000:8VSB:0:0
WYCC:515000000:8VSB:0:0
WTTW:671000000:8VSB:0:0
WLS:701000000:8VSB:0:0
WMAQ:563000000:8VSB:0:0
WJYS:605000000:8VSB:0:0
WGBO:707000000:8VSB:0:0
WGN:503000000:8VSB:0:0
WXFT:743000000:8VSB:0:0
WFLD:575000000:8VSB:0:0
WCIU:551000000:8VSB:0:0
WCPX:647000000:8VSB:0:0
WBBM:063000000:8VSB:0:0
WYIN:491000000:8VSB:0:0

Then I tried out azap, and starting getting firmware loading errors in the log.

nxt2002: no firmware upload (timeout or file not found?)

Installed the latest version of hotplug, still same problem. Finally installed udev and for whatever reason, this fixed that problem though the boot after installing udev might have done it too.

The nice thing is with udev, there's no longer a need to modprobe the driver, it automatically comes up on boot without having to update the /etc/modules file.

Now I could do azap and with that proved I could lock onto most of my digital channels so I got the latest CVS of mythtv and built and installed,
then used /usr/local/src/mythtv/setup and cleared my card config, then re-added my 2 MPEG2 cards and added a DVB card. It automatically found the card as adapter0 and identified it as ATSC, so the DiSEqC and input options are not changeable. This card only has a single input. I did however go into Advanced Configuration/Recording Options and select the
Open DVB card on demand option. This was because in the early hours of testing I was modprobing and rmmoding and if this isn't checked, the skystar2 module can't be unloaded while mythbackend is running.

Setup a video source next for it specifying us-bcast. In Input connections, selected the new video source for the DVBInput.

Go to Channel Editor and select Advanced. Select New Transport and add every digital channel obtained from www.antennaweb.org. Ensure that ATSC is selected as the standard on all of them. The broadcast channel is the "real" frequency, Modulation should be set to 8VSB. Once they'll all been added, hit 'esc' to go back to the Channel Editor first screen. Now choose Scan for channels and use the Scan Type to Existing Transport Scan and select one of the transport channels previously added. Leave the next screen at the default settings and hit enter. If it can get and keep a lock, channels should be added. Keep doing this till all the transports have been tried.

Current issues:

I was recording a 1 hour HD show (1080i) with this card and a 1 hour show with my PVR350 card simultaneously and they both stopped recording at the 56 minute mark. mythbackend had died without any error message or any other indicator of failure in any of the logs. I'm going to try tonight to record another hour of hi-def without an y other recording activity to see if it happens again. I also got the latest, latest CVS which had a number of changes in it.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:40 pm 
update: I have de-installed udev (as it appears to be a performance sucking vampire) and my air2pc is still working, so installing udev wasn't relevant. Additionally, I had indeed changed a config file to load skystar2 so udev wasn't involved there either.

I have setup my nvidia 5200fx card and with the new nvidia drivers and with nvidia-settings, got it pretty close to the PVR350 out I had.

I'm not using XVMC yet, is it worth it? I'm not going out TVout but rather to a vga to tv converter box.

So with my nvidia card I can now watch live tv with my air2pc card. By using the libmpeg2 video decoder, my 2000Mhz AthlonXP <AthlonXP2400> is able to play it with 80-90% of CPU as long as I do nothing else on the mythbox, I can watch 1080i programming without much stuttering. Obviously I'm not getting the whole picture on my 27" TV and the ocnverter box must be doing some scaling or something. I'm surprised it works at all.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:04 pm 
aovermy wrote:
I have setup my nvidia 5200fx card and with the new nvidia drivers and with nvidia-settings, got it pretty close to the PVR350 out I had.

I'm not using XVMC yet, is it worth it? I'm not going out TVout but rather to a vga to tv converter box.

The US distributor of the Air2PC card has said that it has an onboard MPEG-2 decoder. I found this link here that says how to get DVB-based MPEG decoders working with Mplayer: http://web.njit.edu/all_topics/Prog_Lan ... o.html#dvb

So perhaps it's an option to use the onboard decoder and send the video out your video card?

aovermy wrote:
Obviously I'm not getting the whole picture on my 27" TV and the ocnverter box must be doing some scaling or something. I'm surprised it works at all.
Amy

Is it the Audio Authority 9A60 or the Key Digital KD-VTCA3? Do you think it's your modeline? I'm guessing you already read the relevant HOWTO, but I'll include a link just in case: http://knoppmythwiki.homelinux.org/inde ... SetupHowTo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:11 pm 
I'm using the GrandTec Ultra XP pro. I suspect my worst problem is that I don't have a HDTV!! (yet) I am, however, seriously impressed with the clarity of the picture for something coming from an antenna. I now look forward to actually buying a HD set. I think I've solved my display issue by playing with the aspect ratio.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:38 pm 
aovermy wrote:
I'm using the GrandTec Ultra XP pro. I suspect my worst problem is that I don't have a HDTV!! (yet) I am, however, seriously impressed with the clarity of the picture for something coming from an antenna. I now look forward to actually buying a HD set.

FYI, the GrandTec Ultra XP Pro only does 480i resolution, so you'll be outputting standard-def resolution to your HDTV. (The product page: http://www.grandtec.com/HDTV.htm )

The converters I mentioned above will do 1080i, which will get the most use out of a high-resolution HDTV.

aovermy wrote:
I think I've solved my display issue by playing with the aspect ratio.
Amy

Cool. If you get a chance to try using the Air2PC's MPEG-2 decoder, let us know how it affects your CPU usage on playback.

Go to page 1, 2  Next