View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:14 pm 
It looks like the big thing at CES this year was 1080p HDTV. My take on HDTV is that it seems to still be evolving. I dont want to purchase a 1080i, or 780p card until there is more a standard, especially if 1080p is going to become popular.
My take is that even with this new law in July about the recording flag someone will most likely come up with firmware hack for some cards, or as PVR is growing, that customers will demand it removed. Especially with MS getting involved more into that area. It seems that MS has trying to find other avenues to replace thier dwindling OS market share and XBox and MediaPC, mobile devices are where they are focusing on. (Rather than fixing their source code for current products!).
I don't know that much about HDTV, etc, but am I right in thinking that? Not knowing much about the technology, I am guessing that the cards out now would not be able to use the 1080p? Looking for others input before I go this route...

MicroAtx Case
2 PVR250's w/remote
eVGA e-GeForce mx4000 (64 Ram with Tv/Out (Svideo))
Lite-on DVD cd-rw combo
120 GB Western Digital

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:20 pm 
Quote:
Not knowing much about the technology, I am guessing that the cards out now would not be able to use the 1080p?

I hope I'm understanding things correctly, but as far as the card is concerned, what it gets over the air is just data: it could be anything from 480i to 1080p. It doesn't care; it just gets it and dumps it to disk.

It's the playback that's the issue... and actually, since it wouldn't have to be deinterlaced, 1080p might not be bad playback-wise (?).

There is also the issue of the broadcasters actually broadcasting 1080p. I think right now most are broadcasting 720p or 1080i. No idea how long it will take them to switch to 1080p, or what their incentive is for doing so.

Here's an interesting thread on 1080p I found on a quick Google search:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/9682.html

No idea if the info is correct or not, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:31 pm 
the reason that 1080p was not made a part of the standard to begin with is bandwith. it takes alot more bandwidth for 1080p than 1080i. 1080p will not become part of the standard in the imediate future, and even when it does it most likely won't take of too quickly, because very few things will be able to display it. Most hdtv's these days won't even do 1080i much less 1080p.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:51 pm 
Quote:
My take is that even with this new law in July about the recording flag someone will most likely come up with firmware hack for some cards, or as PVR is growing, that customers will demand it removed. Especially with MS getting involved more into that area. It seems that MS has trying to find other avenues to replace thier dwindling OS market share and XBox and MediaPC, mobile devices are where they are focusing on. (Rather than fixing their source code for current products!).

While I'd agree that Microsoft is looking for ways to bolster their eroding market share, expecting them to do something consumer friendly as a result is naive at best. Can you say "embrace and pervert" (MS's answer to standards)? How about "proprietary solution" (what MS thrives on)? Or "customer lock in" (what MS longs for)? The only standards pressure MS would put on content providers is to use a MS proprietary content (IP) management scheme so that they (meaning MS) can achieve maximum customer lock in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:02 am 
I would not recommand sitting on the sidelines and hoping that someone sells cards after the deadline which are non-compliant. I think it's just as likely that non-broadcast-flag cards will NOT be sold after the cutoff date and you'll find yourself without any resources with which to build your HDTV KnoppMyth box.

Don't sweat over 1080p vs. other display technologies. The only reason you're seeing 1080p is because the kinds of displays made (LCD, DLP, LCoS, etc.) are "progressive" by nature. They can do 1080p just as easily as 1080i with their technology. It's unlikely that broadcasters will embrace 1080p (over 1080i) because of the enormous increase in bandwidth compared to the difference in display quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:33 pm 
Site Admin
tjc wrote:
While I'd agree that Microsoft is looking for ways to bolster their eroding market share, expecting them to do something consumer friendly as a result is naive at best. Can you say "embrace and pervert" (MS's answer to standards)? How about "proprietary solution" (what MS thrives on)? Or "customer lock in" (what MS longs for)? The only standards pressure MS would put on content providers is to use a MS proprietary content (IP) management scheme so that they (meaning MS) can achieve maximum customer lock in.
Couldn't have stated it better myself. The broadcast is just another form of DRM. If MS had it thier way, the computer motherboard on up would be DRM'ed. Don't wait act now and support the EFF.