View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: 0.17 and HDTV
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:17 pm 
There appear to be some usability issues with the pcHDTV cards and 0.17. The new release is set up so that it won't "delete" a show from the database if it can't find a matching file on the filesystem. This was done to protect users from remote-mounted directory disasters where myth could have deleted shows if a remote drive was off line.

Unfortunately, it is a very common problem to have an aborted recording on an HDTV myth box which leaves no file on the filesystem. The database won't delete the metadata for the show until you create a file entry with the right name in /myth/tv. This has to be done manually from the message in the backend log, because that's the only clue what filename it's looking for.

There are hints this is fixed in CVS, but I'm trying to debug R5 so I'm not loading CVS. It has become painlfully apparent that "releases" in myth don't have any guarantee of working correctly, and as we suspected they don't to a lot of testing before declaring a code base "released." It is a different philosophy that I am accustomed to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:23 pm 
yeah it would be nice if they froze development at some point and called it a beta for a month or so to catch the bugs fixed then then declared a release and moved on with development, but I guess that's all up to Issac.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:34 pm 
Axel suggested something like this a few weeks back on the dev mailing list... Issac wouldn't got for it.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:32 pm 
Here is Isaacs reasoning.

If people wont test CVS code then the best way to get more testing would be more frequent releases. As ESR says "release early, release often."
Whenever there are long gaps between releases there will be a build up of bugs that don't show up on developers machines or usage patterns. When a release is eventually made users will discover most of these bugs all at once, giving the software a reputation for bugginess.
Hopefully Isaac will stick to the hinted at plan of making another release next month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:16 pm 
WOW that is a very disappointing attitude from the project lead, but I pretty much expected it from Isaac. It's just that with that mentality you will never have a stable release, although I suppose you could look at it another way and say new development will never stop. I understand if he can't support two development trees, and I certainly don't have any coding talent, but it would be nice if he could separate the trees and let someone else manage the release tree while he does the fun stuff and works on the development branch. Oh well just babbling to myself here and dreaming of a perfect world. :lol:

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:19 am 
Brad Templeton had the most cogent and well-reasoned positions. The more of his messages I read the more he impresses me.