View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:21 pm 
Hi all,

First off many thanks to Cesman & team for making Knoppmyth!!

I was a linux noob before this but now my status is linux noob + .01%

I am running R5A12 recording HDTV from my comcast motorola 6200 via firewire (and changing channels too!)

Mainly I've been recording 24 which is on Fox @ 720P.

After it records, it does the commflag routine for about 1hr( And finishes sucessfully)
When I go to view it after this, I am unable to get it to skip commercials. I tried loading the cutlist, but there is none.
I have it setup to auto-skip.
Then I thought I have to transcode it, so I did that, made a mess of the audio for some reason and the commercials were still there.

So I am wondering if anyone else has been successful skipping commercials with a similar setup.

Also, while watching 24, for some reason it thinks the show is 2 hours long and while I was trying to Fast Forward through commercials I got stuck in an awful loop about 30 minutes in where i kept seeing some poor monkeys stuck with the Simple Life girls ;-) everytime it hit a certain point it would jump back about 20 minutes...I was able to get past this using the 'U' key to speed up play 3x.

Are these issues with HDTV only...I guess I should try recording some SDTV(it would still be via firewire)

Thanks,

Rich

PS: I have a HD3000 on order...hopefully I can get QAM working on my local channels since my Myth boxes are in the dungeon(basement)

Last edited by RichP on Thu May 05, 2005 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:29 pm 
I'd suggest checking your db for errors. The only time I've personally seem issues w/ skipping is when my db was corrupted.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:11 pm 
also sounds like the commflag didn't finish properly, on my setup while it's running commflag it shows as 2hr, but once it's done it drops back down to 1hr.

Commflag runs just fine on my hdtv from ota hdtv3000 I don't have firewire stb, so never used that. And I have used commflag on 24 worked great.

P.S. Also if you could do a walkthrough on getting firewire recording and channel change working on knoppmyth that would be great. I haven't seen anything specific to knoppmyth about this. and the information seems quite scattered. The wiki would be a great place for something like that.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:41 pm 
When I said 2hr...I meant the OSD while playing the recording (after the commflag has finished.) The dollar sign icon shows up in the Watch Recordings main screen and in the recording description it said commflag:Yes.

Where should I check for commflag errors? I am going to record American Idol tonight so I can test with that.

I had the commflag set for all methods...is that what you use for 24?

As for the firewire walkthrough wiki...I would be glad to to take this on. I will do it when I rebuild my boxes...probably this Saturday...this time I will take detailed notes. I think the channel changing took more time (6200ch) because of a few weird permission problems which I'll have to figure out again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:48 pm 
yes I use all methods for 24, and I realize exatcly where you are talking about saying 2hr. What I was saying is if I start watching 24 right after it records while commflag is running I see 2hr, however if I watch it then next day after commflag is done I only see one hour, just like if I start it while it's recording I see 1hr. what's will really throw you for a loop is starting it say 30 min in you see 1hr for the first 30 min, untill the recording finishes and commflag starts, then the next time you pause or fast forward it says 2hr. but before and after commflag I always see the correct amount of time. it only doubles for me during commflag.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:52 pm 
A search of the forum would yield...

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:25 pm 
Thanx, I read that post and checked the tables...everything is ok, nothing needs fixing.

I was running the backend as root from CTRL-ALT- F1, so now I am running in an X window as mythtv user to see if that makes a difference.

Unrelated, but while I was in there I made the changes for the Zap2It to run every 2 days randomly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:05 pm 
I see what you are saying. I am about to start recording American Idol and I will wait till after its done with the commflag before watching to see what the time looks like.

So sorry if this is a stupid question...but after the commflag is done, do I have to transcode before watching to skip commercials or should it just work if I have Auto-skip enabled?

Thanks,

Rich

Xsecrets wrote:
yes I use all methods for 24, and I realize exatcly where you are talking about saying 2hr. What I was saying is if I start watching 24 right after it records while commflag is running I see 2hr, however if I watch it then next day after commflag is done I only see one hour, just like if I start it while it's recording I see 1hr. what's will really throw you for a loop is starting it say 30 min in you see 1hr for the first 30 min, untill the recording finishes and commflag starts, then the next time you pause or fast forward it says 2hr. but before and after commflag I always see the correct amount of time. it only doubles for me during commflag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:16 pm 
If you have autoskip enabled it should "just work" but you might not like what it "just does" the commflag is not always 100% accurate. I usually turn off the autoskip and use the buttons to skip commercials that way if it's off I can easilly go back, or forward to compensate.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:41 pm 
Ok, got it narrowed down...the commercials are flagged properly and autoskipped when viewed on my backend but not on when viewed my frontend.

I am going to go through all my setup options again and make sure both machines are talking properly.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:26 am 
Sorry for the late update.

I missed this while setting up my frontend:

1. Edit /etc/mysql/my.cnf and comment out 'skip-networking'.

Before: skip-networking
After: # skip-networking

Thanx for everyone's help...I can now skip commercials!!!!

Soon I will upgrade to R5A15, put in my new 250GB HD, take detailed notes and do a Firewire/Motorola 6200 wiki.