View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:09 pm 
I was playing around with my 1080i modelines today. I have been running 540p for a long time, but I haven't been able to get 1080i working without jitter. So after reading the changelog, I saw some performance improvements, so I upgraded to the latest nvidia driver.

The jitter is gone!!! Yeah, but unfortunetly now my screen is shifted so much to the right that the left wraps back around on itself. Theres a split about halfway down the middle of the screen I see the left half of the screen on the right side and the right half of the screen on the left side. even stranger, if I play a tv show, the screen is correct, except for a wide black vertical band right in the center of the picture.

This isn't an emergency, my 540p modeline still works, but I was wondering if anybody has seen this, better yet if anybody knows how to fix this.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:21 pm 
Unfortunately, I seem to recall reading here and on the mythtv lists at gossamer that other people were having the same issues with 1080i on recent nvidia drivers.

I'd start doing searches over at gossamer...

-brendan

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:53 pm 
Try this thread:

http://gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/128311

[EDIT: whoops, it was an offtopic post to that thread. i'd search there for nvidia and 1080i as I mentioned before...]

-brendan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:37 pm 
yes this is a known problem with the new drivers that apparently only affects the 1080i resolution. Nvidia knows about it the first reference I saw about it was on this forum with a link to the thread on the nvidia forums, but until they release an update everyone is just SOL for 1080i

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:19 pm 
Just go back to the 6629 version of the nvidia driver. It works fine. I posted that message on myth-dev (I knew it was OT but I wanted to see if any devs bit. They didn't.) I' posted it on the nvidia forum and got nuthin on it. Hopefully someone will notice and fix it in the next version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:22 pm 
well I think the problem is many people get TONS of flicker with the older drivers in 1080i, I know I did. I dealt with it for a while and when moving to the new version just decided to go with 720p and keep the new drivers. Though I really would like to go back to 1080i if I could get rid of the flicker, as it more or less eliminates any interlacing artifacts, and I can turn off deinterlace when using 1080i.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:41 am 
Xsecrets is correct. The old drivers flicker, jitter, bounce up and down, whatever you want to call it. I can watch programs and not notice it very much, but when I'm in the menus, it makes my eyes go batty pretty quick.

I was thinking along the same lines as Xsecrets, if I can go to 1080i, I don't have to de-interlace and I am in my TV's native resolution. No conversions. No resolution conversion artifacts, less cpu power, cooler my box runs, etc...

I use 540p instead of 720p because I actually think it looks better, but that my just be my own bias. I used to switch back to 480p just to watch DVD's, again because I thought it lookled better, but that's to much a pain in the ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:35 am 
I guess I'm just a dreamer, but is anyone else hoping they will someday get the xrandr support working properly so I can watch ntsc stuff at 480i/p 720p at 720p and 1080i at 1080i and the menu at whatever resolution works best. That would be wonderfull. right now the xrandr support does change the resolution, but doesn't seem to pick up the right resolution from the video stream, so it just always changes to your default.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:19 pm 
Xsecrets wrote:
I guess I'm just a dreamer, but is anyone else hoping they will someday get the xrandr support working properly so I can watch ntsc stuff at 480i/p 720p at 720p and 1080i at 1080i and the menu at whatever resolution works best. That would be wonderfull. right now the xrandr support does change the resolution, but doesn't seem to pick up the right resolution from the video stream, so it just always changes to your default.

I'm not sure if this is completely offtopic or not (apologize in advance if so):

Using VGA-out, to a front projector, is there any reason not to choose the highest refresh rate available (e.g. 76Hz) vs. 60Hz or 72Hz? I only ask this because I'd been reading about interlace/progressive conversion, as well as re-conversion of 3:2 pulldown to progressive. The article seemed to imply that you really want to make sure your output device is well matched to your source material, even after conversion.

I may be missing a critical part of why this might not be the case for native progressive displays such as a projector...

-brendan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:01 am 
Xsecrets wrote:
well I think the problem is many people get TONS of flicker with the older drivers in 1080i, I know I did.

How interesting. I use ONLY the 1080i modeline with my RPTV set and I see no flicker at all during playback of HDTV programs. The only flicker I see is if I exit mythfrontend and look at windows and menus, but you'd expect that on an interlaced display. I'm using the 6629 driver and the VGA output, as my TV set has a VGA input connector.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:23 am 
Quote:
The only flicker I see is if I exit mythfrontend and look at windows and menus, but you'd expect that on an interlaced display.

I think your expectations are two low. As I originally wrote, with the newest driver the flicker is gone. I guess I see no reason why static text shouldn't be as rock steady with or without interlacing. My TV is upconverting my 540p to 1080i and I see no flicker. On my SDTV, the menu screen text does not jump up and down, it is a bit fuzzier, and the edges of letters have a kind of rainbow effect.

I suspect the problem in the older drivers is that they are not doing interlacing correctly. Possibly reversing the order of the half frames. What I see in the menu screens is the whole screen shifting up and down by one line.

I just wonder if terminology is to blame here. I guess flicker is more like a stroboscope effect. What's a good word for the screen bouncing up and down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:38 am 
Yes I know what you are talking about I am using vga -> component converter and when I was using 6629 drivers at 1080i the video was perfect, but the mythtv menu's would jump. was very annoying, and I'm glad I don't get epileptic sesures

Xsecrets