All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:28 pm 
Xsecrets wrote:
what cable provider do you have?

Have comcast here in nashville,and they do not send the plip information, so mythtv won't enter the channels from the scan.

We have Time Warner here in Raleigh. I was able to get about 6 channels over the regular cable line. The weird thing is that all the HD channels had their SD counterpart as a sub channel. The channels showed up as 111 (for 11.1) and 112 (for 11.2) but if I tried to change them to 11_1 or 11.1 I could not tune the channel. I had to leave the channel designation as the long number without the separator.

Today I'm having trouble tuning any HD channels over the air because the weather is bad (at least that's what I think the problem is).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:15 pm 
yes channel numbers like 11-1 or 11_1 won't work it's a known issue with myth not sure if they are working on it or not the mythtv dev list would be the place to find that out.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:25 pm 
w00t!
I think it's almost time for me to try out HD3K and QAM! after I move all my movies off the main box. hehehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:43 pm 
well good luck. hopefully you have a decent cable provider. If not and you figure out how to get a pat/pmt scan working let me know so I can enjoy the benifits of qam.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:43 pm 
ceenvee703 wrote:
    1: stop mythbackend (important! virtually not mentioned anywhere!)
    2: run mythtv-setup
    3: clear channels and capture cards
    4: in Card Setup, set up HD3000 as a DVB card. It should recognize that you have a HD3000
    5: in Video Source, create a name and download the OTA HD listings from Zap2It that you set up ahead of time (the URL above seems to imply this step is not necessary)
    6: in Input Connection, connect Zap2It channel setup to DVB card (likewise, not sure this is necessary but I did it)
    7: go into channel editor (is that the name?), do a full channel scan, get the channels that your card can receive (Note that the URL above says to create the ATSC channels first, then scan for just those channels. Might be a cleaner way of doing it.)
    8: Now the fun part. Pretend to edit each listing from Zap2It (select the listing and press Enter) and jot down the XMLTVID number. Then enter that number in the ACTUAL channel that the card scanned. If you don't do this the programming info won't show up for the actual scanned channel
    9: quit mythtv-setup
    10: start mythbackend back up again
    11: run mythfilldatabase, I guess

You can also do that xmlid modification via webmin if you have it running. There's also a script by Human that is attempting to automate this procedure.

Yes indeed! In fact, it's included as of R5A15 if people would like to try it in lieu of step 8. Just run DVB_fixer.sh as root. It will run mythfilldatabase for you by default, but if you've already run mythfilldatabase, invoke DVB_fixer.sh with the -nofill parameter.

It's had limited testing, but it seems to work :) It also makes a backup of your relevant tables before it alters them, so if something goes very very wrong, you can not only undo it, but you can send me the before/after table data so I can inspect it.

I would like to have more people test it so that it can eventually be put inline with the other KnoppMyth installation scripts so people don't even have to worry about it anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:42 am 
I'm going to switch over my installation this weekend to the actual drive it's going to be on so I will try this script this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:16 pm 
THANKS HUMAN!

I replaced step 8 with your script and it worked like a charm. I'm lovin the HD!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:31 am 
Red5 wrote:
THANKS HUMAN!

I replaced step 8 with your script and it worked like a charm. I'm lovin the HD!

You're very welcome! Please encourage other users to use the script, too. Once I get enough feedback, I'll create/alter a relevant HOWTO on the wiki so that people use the script by default and the manual process only as a fallback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:59 am 
OK, I've read this discussion several times and I still don't know. Is mythtv/knoppmyth capable of using the pchdtv 3000 NTSC tuner? I just got the pchdtv as a second tuner and I wanted to be prepared because I will probably switch to digital in a few months. However, for the time being I'd really like to just use it as a secondary NTSC tuner working with my pvr-350.

Does anybody have a setup like this working? I'd really like any help.

Thanks
-> Fritz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:09 am 
I heard one person who claimed they had ntsc capture working well on in, but I've never had any luck.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:08 am 
Xsecrets wrote:
I heard one person who claimed they had ntsc capture working well on in, but I've never had any luck.

When I had mine scan for channels using the OTA antenna I was able to pick up the regular analog channels (with the digital channels); I don't know if this counts though. Are analog channels over the air considered NTSC eventhough Myth is setup to treat the signal as ATSC? I'm still learning all of the terminology so please correct me where I'm wrong.

My problem now is that I moved the PC from my office to the living room and now I need to rescan for channels and reorient the anteanna. I'm still debating about getting an attic mount and running the line down to the living room for the hd3000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:58 am 
If you are talking about how some channels broadcast standard def along with their high def stuff no this is not ntsc it is just another stream in the atsc signal.

Xsecrets

Post subject: Channel numbers
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:01 am 
So when my channels are populated from zap2it labs, the numbers are 4_1, 4_2, 4_3, 4_4, 6_1, 6_2, etc.

I scan for channels, then run Humans script. I check the channel listing and the numbers are still 4_1, 4_2, etc. However before I run the script, the channels are 41, 42, etc. So will the 4_1, 4_2, etc. channels work? Or will I need to go through all the channels and change them backto 41, 42, 43, etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:47 am 
channel numbers with a dash - or underscore _ will work fine for recording, just not livetv, at least unless something has changed. I haven't been following development too closely lately.

Xsecrets

Post subject: Re: Channel numbers
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:59 am 
TheRooster wrote:
So when my channels are populated from zap2it labs, the numbers are 4_1, 4_2, 4_3, 4_4, 6_1, 6_2, etc.

I scan for channels, then run Humans script. I check the channel listing and the numbers are still 4_1, 4_2, etc. However before I run the script, the channels are 41, 42, etc. So will the 4_1, 4_2, etc. channels work? Or will I need to go through all the channels and change them backto 41, 42, 43, etc?

One of the things done by DVB_fixer.sh is to make all the rows use the zap2it-style channel numbers. Scanned channel XY is the same as zap2it channel X_Y. The script uses the X_Y naming scheme for all rows in the channel table. However:

Xsecrets wrote:
channel numbers with a dash - or underscore _ will work fine for recording, just not livetv, at least unless something has changed.

Maybe I should make it use the XY naming scheme in this case? I vaguely recall that if I have the script use the XY naming scheme, a new download of zap2it data will cause double entries in the channel table, one for each channel: X_Y and XY. So maybe it's not as simple as just switching it.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next