View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: pcHD-3000, signal woes
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:55 am 
Well, I had hoped that an upgrade to R5A15.1 would magically solve the problem. Alas, this is not the case.

The tests with this card were performed both before and after I made the ivtv-related changes to get my non-hdtv card to work.

Using the dvb/dtv driver and scanning using mythtv-setup, I do get signal lock on about 10 stations (the rest give "failed to tune") but the signal is still very low, and I still get a timeout on those. At this point in the process, when it locks on a signal, it is searching for digital data giving information about the various subchannels/streams, yes?

If I go back to the (Advanced?) screen, I do see a list of 10 ATSC stations, but they are all listed by frequency (e.g. 498000000). I take it that means that a signal was detected, but it wasn't possible to pull data out of them?

I tried an external antenna, different cables and a couple of different amps. I get the same behavior.

I also tried swapping out the dvb/dtv drivers for the bttv-based ones so that I can use the dtvscan/dtvsignal tools. In that case, I got no results...

Any ideas?

-brendan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:19 pm 
are you sure you were scanning properly using the dtvsignal utility. I've found the bttv drivers are much more stable than the dtv one.

when you are using dtvsignal you have to scan using the frequency not the channel. for instance here one of my channels is 2 ,but you scan using the frequency which is 27. you can find the frequencies on antenaweb.org

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:34 am 
I am using the DVB setup and it works pretty well. I did notice that atmospheric conditions play a big role as to what I can pickup with the cheap desktop antenna I have. I am contemplating getting a big one and mounting it in the attic when all is said and done.

I did try the ATSC drivers without much luck (though I didn't know exactly what I was doing so that could have something to do with it :D)

I can't remember what the program I used to scan the DVB signal but I believe it output in hex and I couldn't figure out if I was getting a better signal or a worse signal when adjusting my antenna.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:10 am 
that's one of the problems with the dvb drivers the utilities like azap and such just spit out a bunch of numbers that are not easily discernable and if you got lock or not. the atsc drivers had a utility called dtvsignal that would actually give you a nice interfaces that showed you a line and a % so you could easily see what signal strength you had and allow you to easily adjust your antenna accordingly.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:32 am 
Unfortunately, I've never been able to get dtvscan nor dtvsignal to show me anything interesting under R5A12 or R5A15.1 (in the latter case after swapping modules around).

I'm starting to suspect my HD3000 is defective, or I live in an HDTV dead zone. Grn.

-brendan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:00 am 
I had this exact same problem. Someone suggested I buy a new motherboard and power supply. This seemed ridiculous to me, but I gave it a shot. Sure enough my reception went from 40% to 80% on all the stations. Getting an amplified antenna brought me up to 90% and now it's basically flawless.

Ty