View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:52 pm 
So I've got all sorts of crazy questions of what can I and can't I do with MythTV.
If you've got an answer to just one or two of these, take a stab at it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Can I hook it up to my Cox DVR, a Motorola 6412 w/Pioneer Echo software, _via firewire_ and use it to receive unprotected video? Protected video types? Change channels?

2. I have a 1080p @60fps capable multisync VGA CRT. (Yes, no joke. They're cheap!) Will MythTV support/upscale/convert/output to that video mode?

2a. Does MythTV lock onto a resolution, or can it vary the output resolution based on the image source (720p, 1080i), or is it my choice?

2b. My choice on the fly? Via config files and restart? Built-in GUI menu?

3. Can I have input from my Cox DVR, ATSC antenna (for local digital channels Cox doesn't carry), and yet another source like Dish Network, all running at once? (I'd really like to merge sources and have multiple providers integrated together). [This question is more about integrating totally different channel providers than anything.]

4. I have a Sony KD34XBR960 television, which accepts firewire (i.Link) input. Can MythTV output to a _display_ via firewire? Or under certain/special circumstances? Or just a plain video stream without overlays and menus?

5. Does MythTV readily interface with any of the major video on demand or commercial movie download / streaming services? Example: Cinemanow, Movielink.

6. Any PC hardware solution now or on the horizion to interface and work with a cablecard on QAM input? Potential for MythTV support?

7. Is there a good page with reference configurations (both hardware choices and video input and output choices) that do a decent job of showing what MythTV is and is not capable of?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:06 pm 
jmccorm wrote:
So I've got all sorts of crazy questions of what can I and can't I do with MythTV.
If you've got an answer to just one or two of these, take a stab at it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Can I hook it up to my Cox DVR, a Motorola 6412 w/Pioneer Echo software, _via firewire_ and use it to receive unprotected video? Protected video types? Change channels?

firewire works on 62xx boxes not sure about 64xx of course any encrypted video will be a no go.
Quote:
2. I have a 1080p @60fps capable multisync VGA CRT. (Yes, no joke. They're cheap!) Will MythTV support/upscale/convert/output to that video mode?

I would imagine so I don't have anything that will display that resolution, but I have run 720p and 1080i and everything converted just fine.
Quote:
2a. Does MythTV lock onto a resolution, or can it vary the output resolution based on the image source (720p, 1080i), or is it my choice?

well it supposedly has xrandr support to do exactly what you want, but from my experience it doesn't work the way it's supposed to just yet.
Quote:
2b. My choice on the fly? Via config files and restart? Built-in GUI menu?

there are settings in the menu's to allow it to change on the fly from what it sees in the video stream, but like I said it doesn't appear to be parsing the resolution properly from the stream right now.
Quote:
3. Can I have input from my Cox DVR, ATSC antenna (for local digital channels Cox doesn't carry), and yet another source like Dish Network, all running at once? (I'd really like to merge sources and have multiple providers integrated together). [This question is more about integrating totally different channel providers than anything.]

yes it can be done but it gets a bit messy.
Quote:
4. I have a Sony KD34XBR960 television, which accepts firewire (i.Link) input. Can MythTV output to a _display_ via firewire? Or under certain/special circumstances? Or just a plain video stream without overlays and menus?

I haven't heard anything about firewire output, so not likely.
Quote:
5. Does MythTV readily interface with any of the major video on demand or commercial movie download / streaming services? Example: Cinemanow, Movielink.

no and this will most likely be the very last thing mythtv ever gets and I have my doubts if it ever will for obvious evil MPAA DRM reasons.
Quote:
6. Any PC hardware solution now or on the horizion to interface and work with a cablecard on QAM input? Potential for MythTV support?

there are two hdtv cards that currently work with unencrypted QAM. as for cablecard or encrypted QAM I wouldn't hold my breath. Snowballs chance ring a bell?
Quote:
7. Is there a good page with reference configurations (both hardware choices and video input and output choices) that do a decent job of showing what MythTV is and is not capable of?

not that I know of.

Xsecrets