View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:31 pm 
Hi There,

I have an EPIA MII12000 KnoppMyth box.
I am trying to figure out how to hook it up to my LCD TV.
The TV is 16x9 - 1366x768 and offers a variety of scaling options.

The confusion comes when I try to figure out the best resolutions to run the X display and the encoder, myth (overscan, GUI size, TV playback settings) and the TV scaling option.

The EPIA comes with a CLE266 chip for decoding MPEG2.
It can only run the X display at a certain set of resolutions - namely the standard VESA ones plus a small set of 'unusual' ones (scroll down to see the list).

Only two of these are close to 16x9 - 848x480 and 856x480. (Note: When I try to enable them, I get an error on timing? I am using Svideo, but I originally set up the KnoppMyth box with a 17" LCD 4:3 computer monitor, so I suspect the timings are only for that).

What is affecting me is issues with scaling at TWO places: one at myth/xine, the other at the TV. The latter is interesting - my TV offers Fill, Panoramic, Normal, 16x9 (+stretch), 15x9 (+stretch). Myth offers a similar list. The end result is currently that people look either a little thin or a little fat.

My question is long:
IF you are using an EPIA mobo with a 16x9 LCD panel via s-video, can you tell me the following:
- What modelines are you using?
- What does your XF86Config-4 look like?
- What options to mythtv GUI and TV playback are you using?
- What options to Xine are you using?
- If you have an LCD panel, what scaling options are you using there?

I have considered buying an RGBHV (Computer) to component video converter and run component to the panel. Has anyone tried that and can recommen a converter?

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:15 pm 
I don't think you can get 16x9 w/ SVideo. I'd suggest asking your query on the Unichrome mailing list.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:11 am 
I have an NVidia GeForce 5200 and a 30" Widescreen LCD Flat Panel. Unforunately, I use the LCD's DVI input for my workstation, so I need to use the component video input on the LCD for my mythbox

When I boot, the nvidia card correctly enables the Component Video out (Note for others, the S-Video jack must NOT be connected for it to detect the Component Video connection.)

I just did an upgrade to R5A15 and the latest (at time of writing: 7664) nvidia drivers.

Everything works great (ish) with the VESA drivers. However, after installing the nvidia drivers and changing the driver name in XF86Config-4, the output is heavily tinted purple and I have found no way of getting it to work at least as well as the VESA driver.

Has anyone else experienced (and hopefully resolved) this problem?

Also, when try to get to a console with Ctrl+F1 (or even stopping gdm) the normal text mode just shows blocks of green instead of readable characters.

Ultimately, I'd like to try to get 1280x768 (native) working, but I'd need ModeLines for the PowerSpec LCD. Also, 1280x768 may not be supported over Component Video, maybe only from DVI.

Thoughts?

TIA,
MikeE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:48 pm 
memswiler wrote:
Thoughts?
What does this have to do with the original post that started this thread?

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!