View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:52 pm 
Greetings list,

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Tier 1 forum, but since there are limited postings about hardware for HDTV frontends, thought I would post here in HDTV. One hardware issue so far is that the motherboard comes with gigabit ethernet which is not recognized (Marvell 88E8001) -- there goes a PCI slot for now. The video is amazing, though the sound is choppy both for live TV (1080i) and for playback of recorded (1080i) streams whenever the video image is not simple (eg movie credits on black background) or has much motion -- I've yet to dig through the forum for various suggestions I know I've seen before, though. I also don't know yet whether the BIOS will cooperate with nvram-wakeup. The Apollo version of the FX 5200 came with a small fan rather than the large heat sink I was expecting, but the retail Intel CPU fan is definitely the loudest fan in the box, which I dont think will be a problem.

Kudos to Cecil and Dale for helping make MythTV more accessible to a wider audience than otherwise possible!

Follow-up: Utilities/Settings -> Settings -> TV -> Playback -> libmpeg2 (enable) significantly improves audio, now with discernable, but less objectionable, hesitation every few seconds.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:57 pm 
open wrote:
The Apollo version of the FX 5200 came with a small fan rather than the large heat sink I was expecting

Nuts. :shock: I just ordered one of the identical Rosewill ones (the pictures of the cards are so identical, down to the printed stock barcode stickers, that it's pretty clear Rosewill makes them for Apollo) with the intent of getting a fanless card for my HDTV upgrade box. Getting one with a fan would kind of suck (or maybe blow, or maybe both, ...). I spent extra $ in a few strategic places to minimize noise and would hate to have it undone by a design change to the video card. :x

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:44 pm 
open wrote:
One hardware issue so far is that the motherboard comes with gigabit ethernet which is not recognized (Marvell 88E8001) -- there goes a PCI slot for now.

Try the following command to see if you can get the built-in NIC to work.

Code:
modprobe sk98lin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:55 am 
That is not it. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:39 am 
Hi,
If you just set up a HD-3000, please take the poll and record your experiences, good and bad. This forum *IS* the documentation so we all benefit if you will tell us what works, what does not, and how you got your system working properly.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

http://www.mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewto ... highlight=