View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Antenna Suggestion
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:18 am 
I just ordered an HD 3000 and I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for an antenna? According to antennaweb.org I need a small multi-direction antenna. Also will I need anything else, or will the antenna include everything to connect to the card? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:35 pm 
I have a DVB-T card (Aussie Land) and I have spoken to my local TV guy and it helps if you have the right sort of ariel (attached to the house) but the coax you use is also important. Here in Australia it is called RG-6 with F-Type connectors for joiners (screw on).

That is what has been suggested to me, but as of yet I am still to implement it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:04 pm 
If you're willing to do some reading, I found the presentation at

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ISSUES/erecting_antenna.html

to be practical, pretty thorough, and unbiased. It's a fair amount of reading, but he explains the major issues in terms with which most people on this list should have little difficulty, and has links to suppliers to give a starting point for comparison shopping. (In the interest of full disclosure, I have yet to install an antenna, but intend to at some point after further digging/study -- right now I receive a few channels well, a couple others poorly, and at least a few not at all, at least according to antennaweb, using a little UHF loop.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:26 pm 
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?c ... id=15-2160

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:54 am 
ces, I tryed one of these weeks ago and surprisingly it was very poor compared to amplified loop or zenith branded indoor log periodic. It was so bad mounted temporarily on my shed, that I brought out the loop to check if the rg-6 cable was bad The loop was much better. No defects were found, and known good baluns were tried. IMHO this is either shoddy design or just an older design mostly peaked for lower UHF channels. Analog tv comparisons showed the same differences in reception.
Try the radioshack dual bow-tie set top if you are in a good area as I am. I remember when these were advertised for the new mandatory UHF tvs and were labled color-ready. Now they say HDTV ready. Usually special order, 15.00 or so and can do a good job of ghost cancelling.
The only advantage of the above RS corner reflectr would be its height. I would look into other brands for outdoor.

Be a good neighbor, shield your lights, save electricity, and be more secure. Darksky.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:57 am 
I just ended up going to Best Buy and picking up a cheap indoor antenna. Seems to work pretty well. I think I need to get a faster machine though. I don't have a HD tv and myth is trying to play my HD recordings in SD but it's having trouble. Now I just need to figure out how to transcode my HD recordings to something else.