View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:03 pm 
Xsecrets wrote:
wow how unusual. you are the first person I've heard say their market is all 1080i and only one 720p. which market are you in?

To give a bit more detail, I am located in the bay area, the HD channels I am watching are NBC, CBS ans ABC. There are a few more but I can't guarantee any testing on thise as the signal strength is off, there are some DT channels (such as the PBS described above).
Switching HD channels is fine until I switch to ABC (720p).

I found a interesting thread: MythTV Crashes on DVB channel change http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/ ... 11468.html.

Thats from 2003 but it kinda describes what I am thinking, the player is not resetting all of its values.

Are the frame rates for 720p and 1080i the same? (ok this is a noob question but if they are not then it would explain the weird playing after switching from 1080i to 720p).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:35 pm 
The frame rates should be the same. I've got a mix of ATSC resolutions here and sometimes see funky effects when switching from the big ones to the smaller ones (e.g. broad black borders), but mostly I've just been playing with it until I get a better antenna, so I can't swear to a particular pattern of behavior.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:39 pm 
Well I have tried all the different MythTV versions, 15.1 & 16 (KnoppMyth), even updating to the 18.2 stable branch. All the same.
The unstable branch of MythTV was not compilable.

Now I want to check how this looks like with the pchd3000 or 4L drivers but I had no luck yet using those during any of the installs I made before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:19 pm 
try finding R5A12 if you want the older drivers, as it's what that version uses out of the box.

P.S. where did you find 0.18.2? I see no mention of it on the mythtv site.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:06 am 
I installed R12, I also checked the websites referred to by the pchd website. Somehow the tars they supply for driver give a compile error on R12 itself.

I am not even sure if I need the pchd3000 drivers from their website if I use R12 a status message during boot shows that the card is being recognized.
I am always trying to scan for the channels in the setup but maybe that just not needed with this particular driver? There is no 'scan for channels' step in the instructions but how does Myth know which channels I really receive (except for blindly using all of the channels from the datadirect setup)? It does not even show any channels in the channel list after the info is downloaded from DataDirect. I must be doing something wrong.

Just plain viewing TV hangs the machine for a long time (I hear its writing but it won't display or react on escape). I tried some channels that I do receive with the DVB drivers.

Xsecrets wrote:
P.S. where did you find 0.18.2? I see no mention of it on the mythtv site.

I was referring to the 18.2 stable dev branch, I just used subversion with the URLs at cvs.mythtv.org/trac/ to see if this particular thing was fixed with the latest stable submissions. Everything compiled fine, installed and worked ok but I still noticed the same problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:21 am 
ok on the old driver which are installed "out of the box" on R5A12 no need to download or compile anything. You do not scan for channels, and you do not set it up as dvb. you choose pchdtv3000 then you just setup your zap2it video source and that should be it. It's actually a much easier setup on the old drivers. no need to go playing around in the database or scan for channels.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:09 am 
Xsecrets wrote:
no need to go playing around in the database or scan for channels.

Works fine now! The issue was my channel setup. I enjoy the scanning part as it shows which channels I can access.
Same issue with that driver though, stuttering etc, stopping live tv (back to menu) and viewing live tv again fixes it.

As an FYI recording is no problem, I can record on the 1080, then 720 and then 1080 channels with no problems, its just the viewer that seems to require to be quit and restarted to prevent the stuttering.

I checked the source and it should be possible to take down the entire viewer and bring it back at a channel change but it would increase the channel switching time severly. Maybe I just use that workaround until its fixed in a later release.

Is it still possible to download, compile and install the pchd drivers in R16 (to make use of all the knopp&myth improvements)? I would like to use the driver as pass through for a satellite setup box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:04 pm 
I found the source of my trouble. To answer my own question about the fps, the 1080i (30fps) is half the fps as the 720p (60fps). I can explain now what I am seeing too, there is advanced logic in the Myth video player to keep the video and audio playing on the right speed and in-sync.
When you start to watch live TV there is convergence in the avsync correction, AVSync holds up nicely, even if the signal or HD might be a bit too slow.

It is this logic though that causes the weird behaviour, after a channel switch (30fps to 60fps or viceversa) instead of stabilizing the playback it shoots from too fast playing to too slow playing, there is no convergence.

The other thing is that the actual refresh rate of your attached monitor plays a roll, I will check tonight if I even see this behaviour on my HD TV (60Hz). Right now I am playing this on a monitor with 99Hz. My guess is that it will still be there but I hope its not.
I have tried several solutions to get convergence in the AVSync after a channel switch, some improvement but nothing final where there is total convergence (that is there when I would quit back to the menu and view the channel again).

One thing is for sure the behavior is not PC hardware related.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:37 am 
:cry: :cry:

Nope the same behavior on my HD tv. the 720p channel just freaks out at channel change (or switching back to any 1080i after watching 720p).
I guess I need to log this as a bug to MythTV.

I can quit to the menu and view again to correct the behavior and its only 1 channel right now so I can workaround the problem.
I am moving forward though with the installation, HD is just too beautiful to delay my switch.

Go to page Previous  1, 2