View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:34 am 
Hi,

I was looking over the EFF's "EFF's Guide to Building Your Own PVR" at http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag/cookbook/print.html and noticed their directions to install a HD-3000 tuner using KnoppMyth seem quite a bit out of date.

I sent a polite email to the article owner suggesting an update or at least posting a version of the article on the knoppmythwiki.org site so the community could update/edit the page.

Is there anyone here who could get the EFF to bring their page closer to the actual knoppmyth install procedures?

Does the EFF article matter anymore? It just seems to be adding unnecessary confusion to have their high profile instructions so different from what is commonly posted here.

I wonder how many people have gone down the EFF PVR path, got stuck, came here and saw the install procedures were very different.

Again, this is not intended to be a criticism of anyone it is just a suggestion to improve consistency to help the new users.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

Last edited by lynchaj on Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:52 am 
That was indeed a very well written walkthrough: I had my first success with driving my HD3000 via MythTV by using it. Once the switch was made to using the DVB drivers, though, it was out of date.

I think the best case scenario would be if the original author could be convinced to redo the walkthrough.

Let us know if you hear back from him/her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:31 pm 
also if you download R5A9 then the walkthrough is fairly accurate, though some problems they had were fixed before R5A9 was released, but anything newer than that is quite different.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:15 pm 
How many newbies are going to notice the difference between R5A9 and R5A16? I suspect not many as it is very subtle and requires a bit of history with knoppmyth to realize there is a difference.

I agree, this is a great article. I'd like to see it brought up to date so it could be an even better article especially since it is relatively "high profile" and maybe the only exposure knoppmyth gets in some circles.

EFF speaks loudly in many technical and legal areas. I hear them often.

I have not heard any response yet but its been less than a day.

Andrew Lynch

PS, do you think they'd mind just posting the article in a wiki so people could edit it or is that not "fair use"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:04 pm 
well it will depend on what type of license they have it under. And it would be completely up to the author. a complete copy of any work is not covered under "fair use".

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:16 am 
BTW,

I did get a reply from EFF to my email about their article being out of date. They were pretty cool about it and said they were going to revisit the article and update it to reflect the latest KnoppMyth install instructions, configurations, etc. I was polite and thanked them for publishing the article and replying to my email.

I suspect that article is leading some of the KnoppMyth HDTV newbies down a path to frustration. Hopefully it will get updated soon.

I suggested to the author to post the article on the wiki and let the community take a whack a rewriting the broken parts. Really, it is not all that far off, just a few corrections and such.

Can the wiki import HTML directly or does it require a translator?

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:20 pm 
well If I remember correctly I still have the html plugin there, but it really only recognizes VERY basic tags if it's even still installed, I removed a bunch of unused plugins the last time I was updating things when we had the spam problems.

Xsecrets