View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:35 pm 
Ok, first time poster. I actually have not loaded KnoppMyth yet, but had a question to determine if I will even try. I have just purchased a Mitsu HDTV with built in dual HD tuners and firewire ports. I was wondering if anyone knew whether I'd be able to use the tuners in my TV over firewire as the input for KnoppMyth?

There is a piece of software in XP (from Vividlogic) that will let the TV recognize a PC hard drive over firewire as a storage device and let you control recording and such via the TV (Netcommand). The problem is that the TV's program guide is ancient and only displays the name of the station, and sometimes what is currently playing. You can also set recording times, but not via the program guide. So as the TV's DVR functionality is extremely limited, I wanted to utilize MythTV (via KnoppMyth) to function as the DVR and utilize the TV's built in tuners rather than installing a tuner card (why purchase one when I have 2 built in and accessible via firewire?). I would then playback on my TV via the built in VGA port (already functioning great).

Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:43 pm 
It sounds like a neat idea, but I think you're treading on a lot of new ground. I don't know of anyone who had made this work as of yet. To integrate your TV with Myth, you would need to know something about the command set the TV exposes over its firewire interface. In Myth-land, it is the Myth box that controls the tuner and tells it what channel to be on at what time. Myth would need to "talk" to your Mitsu to accomplish this.

Then there is the issue of HDMI. The manufacturers of these sets have been putting in the HDMI interface instead of "plain" firewire. It integrates firewire and audio, but it also adds "DRM" (digital rights "management" i.e. restrictions). The HDMI interface isn't supposed to send any "protected" content to a device that doesn't respect that protection. The short answer is, HDMI-equipped stuff won't send cable-type shows (HBO etc.) to an open-source recorder like Myth.

Sorry I can give an authoritative answer but no one's done this before and I think it's too new to guess how it will work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:49 pm 
Thanks for the info.

I actually don't care about protected content. Just trying to do it with the local OTA stations. So no cable-type shows. But I'm hoping that someone, somewhere has solved my problem (written a mitsu driver or module). A guy can always hope. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:18 pm 
I've gotten close. I own an HP LC3700N, it's basically a re-badged sharp aquos. It's got 'i.link' which is basically firewire and a built in ATSC tuner.. This TV has functionality for D-VHS & AV-HDD as well.

After installing the latest firewire drivers from http://www.linux1394.org/
(running R5B7)
I was able to use test-mpeg to capture HD content from my TV to the hardrive via firewire. But unfortunately that was as far as I got. It's pretty frustrating, I had to take a break from it. I need to give it another stab though.

mac was giving me some good info in this thread

The next step would be to hack some method of channel changing together. Like I mentioned, this TV is essentially a re-badged Sharp Aquos. I checked out the user manual for the Sharp and it includes a table of commands to send over the RS-232 for channel changing. I'm hoping this will help me to get something together.

Another good site you might want to try is http://www.avsforum.com -there might be someone there who has gone down that road with your TV. good luck