View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:42 am 
mark did you have to make the same edits that he did? I know when I was trying the xrandr stuff a while back I could not get it to recognize my recordings as 1920x1080 or 1280x720. it would never change away from my default.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:59 am 
X, I did not have the make the source code changes nonpro refered to. I am recording off comcast cable, and my 1080i recordings are 1920x1080. I believe that nonpro's recordings were coming in OTA at 1920x1088, and that is why he needed to make the source code changes.

I've seen several references in the forums to "xrandr" -- I didn't realize the setup screen under general->appearance refered to this. I had looked at the man page for xrandr but didn't see how it would help me solve this problem.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:07 pm 
if you change the screen resolution (not like the ctrl+alt++/- does virtual and all) then you are using xrandr that is the only way to do it. what you setup in the gui doesn't say xrandr, but that's the backend program it uses to change the resolution on the fly.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:40 am 
A quick update for readers of this thread on my latest experiences. I have found that totally disabling the "status" OSD (done by deleting it from osd.xml) results in stable XVMC playback at both 720p and 1080i resolutions. Prior to doing this I would see frequent front-end hangs when doing 720p playback with XVMC enabled. Another important "discovery" is the impact of
Code:
        Option "XvmcUsesTextures" "True"
in the XF86Config-4 file. While setting this option to true stabalizes the OSD when playing back 720x480 recordings, it totally messes up playback of 1080i recordings. Pans look very "jerky", etc. When I set this option to "false", the 1080i playback is very smooth. I can't say I understand why this is the case.

To summerize my current setup:

1. R5A30.2, nvidia driver 6629.

2. 1080i recordings are played back at 1080i resolution, so my HDTV does the de-interlacing.

3. 720p recordings are played back at 720p resolution -- no de-interlace required.

4. 480i recordings are played back at 720p resolution using "bobdeint" deinterlacing.

5. The status OSD is disabled. This means I cannot see how far into the playback I am, but doing this seems to have stabalized the use of XVMC.

6. In /etc/x11/XF86Config-4 I have set ption "XvmcUsesTextures" "False"

I need to run with this configuration for a while longer to determine if it is as stable as not using XVMC -- I will update this thread in a few days with my experience.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:27 am 
Here is my update. With the OSD disabled XVMC is very stable. However, I have found that the hardware "bob2x" deinterlacing does not yield as good a result as the software "kerneldeint" deinterlace filter. There are scenes where the difference was pretty extreme. So I'm going to run without XVMC -- seems my P4-2.8GHZ HT CPU is quite sufficient since I don't need to deinterlace my 1080i material.

This experiment was done with the nvidia version 6629 driver. I've seen some posts suggesting that the newer drivers work better with XVMC, so if I get around to trying this experiment under 8178, I'll post the results.

Marc

Go to page Previous  1, 2