View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:13 pm 
I would like to start recording a few shows from the HD source. Based on some reports, it looks like my cable company may be sending the HD channels I pay for, unencrypted. I can currently record them via the firewire output, but this also means that the cable box is tied up. The problem is that myth does not know that the cable box is being used for firewire when it tries to use it for svideo out for the digital cable channels.
So, it looks like the HD3000 may be a good option for me, but this is where I am confused. Does the 3000 just receive the straight transport streams, and this is what myth dumps to the drives? If so, then it is just the stream as it is being broadcast. Since I really only use EDTV, 852x480 16x9, I don't need full 720p or 1080i anyway. Is there another method of converting this or is transcoding the only method?

I want to record from the HD stream because of the 16x9 format that a lot of the shows we like are broadcast in without the stretching that takes place now. The computer is not quite capable of playing back HD content, as it is only an AMD 3000. So transcoding is required anyway. Though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:14 pm 
well there are a few problems you will be looking at. 1) as you mentioned the hd3000 simply dumps the TS to disk, so transcoding is the only option to get lower resolution 2) and more importantly is that you will have to have a supported qam cable system. for instance I cannot get qam to work here because comcast strips out the psip data from the stream, so mythtv will not scan the channels properly. 3) you have to hope the qam stream is unencrypted, the ota channels they rebroadcast have to be, but not much else is on most cable system.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:37 pm 
I really am only interested in the OTA channels anyway, so I may be ok. If worse come to worse, I can stick up am HD antenna on my in attic tv antenna that is doing nothing now, and run the line down to the myth box. I am in Southern California anyways and have a clear shot to the foothills where the broadcast stations are. This may work. I guess I will order a 3000 and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:58 pm 
I'm in Fontana and can get all the channels OTA. The only issue I have is that on occassion, the ABC signal craps. UPN is new on the block w/ HD, but I've yet to test them....

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!