View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:20 pm 
I am trying to set up a backend using the HD3000 card on a mythtv 0.18.1

I have solved all the problems I have had so far:
- now loading the right cx88_dvb module.
- the card is used as a DVB card by mythtv.

I have been successful at recording shows from the command line using the azap command to tune and cat to just redirect from dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 to a file.
It's all good... I'm happy with that.

When I try to setup mythtv I start mythtv-setup, cleann all configurations, set up the video card as I should and then do a full scan.
At this point I get a lot of transports, but no channels.
If I try to scan all transports (or each transport individially) I get a screen that keeps processing the transport and moving to the next one.
No channels are added.

I know that I am supposed to add channels this way, so that I can get their PIDs, so that I can use them to change the entries that zap2it would provide and then everything will work just fine.
But I can't get mythtv to add channels (and their pids) to the database and I'm stuck there! The backend won't tune because it's missing transport and PID information.

Can anybody shed light on this? What am I doing wrong?
If anybody leaves near Watertown, MA, can you just give me your channel info so that I can bypass the whole thing?

I hope to find some feedback.
I can also promise monetary compensatition to the person that solves my problem. Name your price! :)

-Daniele

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:51 am 
What type of input are you using? OTA or are you trying to do QAM? If you are trying QAM then your provider may be striping the ID data out of the stream I know that comcast in my area does that and thus I cannot use QAM, because mythtv will not create a channel if that data is not there.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:17 am 
Hi Xsecrets, thanks for the help.

I am using hte HD3000 with OTA channels.
I have it pointed in a good direction that gives me strong signals ( > 70%)

I have succesfully run the dvbscan (I think that's the name) which scans for channels and helps creating the channels.conf file that azap needs for tuning. Azap can tune with that information, so that should really prove that the card is working.

It's just that Myth doesn't add the channel... :(
Maybe for whatever reason (bug?) Myth is unable to find the info that it needs in the OTA.
But since I must have all the info needed in my channels.conf could I just use that data? Where in the database would I stick it? I have tried a couple of places but myth doesn't seem to use the data that I have put in there.
This data that I'm referring to is the video and audio identifiers that dvbscan will put towards the end of the channel description.

Let me know if you have any ideas... I've been at it for months... after reading everything I could find about setting up Myth with HDTV, I seem to be the only one with this problem.... :(

Thanks in advance for any futher help,
-Daniele

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:59 pm 
don't know I've never had a problem with the ota scan all I ever had to do was make sure I used the terrestrial scan.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:25 pm 
I'm now more interested in QAM tuning as I'm tired of my OTA reception hitting a glitch and ruining an entire recording. I also only recently realized that I'm getting some HD channels in the clear from Comcast.

Do any of these threads describe a way in which MythTV can be convinced to work with QAM? (I'm only marginally following what they're describing.)

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/m ... AM;#162402

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/m ... 00?#161800

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:56 pm 
the problem is comcast last I heard strips the channel info from the stream before encoding it in QAM, so mythtv will not properly scan for the channels. There is some evidence that people have figured out howto manually enter a channel into the database, but It requires much more work and up front knowledge than I was willing to deal with. This may have changed either on the front of mythtv entering channel freq data even without id, or comcast leaving the id in (I believe this is actually required by FCC not that I think comcast really cares). I haven't messed with it in quite some time.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:48 pm 
hey, i've got pretty much the same problem as qq7te. living in the UK (blaenplwyf transmitter area) and using a hauppauge nova-t (dvb-t) card.

mythtv is only managing to find transports when i do a full scan, then when i scan existing transports it just looks through the transports and doesn't find any channels. only weird thing that looks wrong is the signal strength says 0% and the signal/noise says 100%. dunno if it's meant to do that or what. but the card works fine in kaffeine. oh and i messed about with xmltv and mythfilldatabase, which then gave me a list of channels in mythtv-setup but it still wouldn't find them when scanning, and i don't think it's recognizing the ones xmltv added (either way it gives me a blank black screen when i hit watch tv).

also, it took me about 10 hours to get that far. please please someone invent a better way to install stuff on linux than spending 10 hours searching for 50 kilobyte sized dependecy files. is it too much to add this stuff to the main program rpm? i gave up installing freevo after another 10 hours, switched to windows and an install of mediaportal (which uses much the same stuff as mythtv) took about 10 seconds. why do you guys put up with it? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:49 pm 
There is a tool (I can point you to it if you want) which performs a scan of the available channels.
it's part of the DVB tools.
That tool creates an output which will give you valuable information (frequency, and channels) that you can use to manually build up the table in the database.

the tool is called dvbscan I believe.

Also... about your experience with dependency hell... yes it's frustrating and terrible. But do you think that million of people worldwide would still be using Linux if it were so much trouble?
If there's a need for a solution, somebody would be working on it... and in fact...

many years ago Debian was born and among the best things going for it, it's the apt package management system.
Debian keeps a repository of all packages that exist for it. (and other people maintain other repositories with extra packages which are not officially maintained)
The tool finds all the things that it depends on and installs it.
It's paradise.

You should find a way to get apt-get for your rpm-based distribution or (even better) switch to a distribution that uses it as a standard.
Debian, Ubuntu, Knoppix and all their variants use apt-get to install packages.
I stringly suggest you try installing Ubuntu and then see how much easier it is to install things :D

Good luck, and let me know if you need help with the dvbscan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:07 pm 
hey thanks for the reply. i already know all the channel settings, i think i tried setting one up manually but it still wouldn't show the channel in mythtv, just a black screen. i might try again when i'm feeling brave.

i've been using YOU with SUSE, and even then there's still loads it doesn't have (even after adding the guru and packman as sources, though packman's now refusing to work properly with it). and when it does it usually complains about versions. in a month of using linux i don't think i managed a single install of anything without spending about an hour or more installing dependencies and updating/downgrading ones I already had, re compiling source code, searching for rpms etc. frankly, anything more than a couple of clicks seems like more than there needs to be, i just hope someday people'll start combining the things in a single download. still, ubuntu could be better. but i've spent so long getting suse to work properly i dunno if i can be bothered with another distro.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:42 pm 
I had problems similar to the ones described in this posting. Check out this very good link and this other detailed link which describes how to discover and add QAM feeds, locations, etc to the MythTV database.

In Denver, I have the ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox and PBS all coming in HD over my cable in this fashion. I have audio stutter problems on FOX and ABC, but that's a problem for another day.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:16 pm 
qq7te wrote:
Good luck, and let me know if you need help with the dvbscan

When I try the command dvbscan us-Cable-Standard-frequencies-qam256

I get an error that the myth frontend is busy. What do I do? I thought when I logged out of mythtv interface and log into a shell that the frontend was off.

Rkshack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:52 pm 
You might want to check out my post for the DVICO card ... I have a feeling it will work for other DVB cards.

Post is here.