View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:00 am 
Hi all,

I've been happily using Knoppmyth for a month or so now with an SD satellite signal. R5A16 was the initial install and had been very stable doing what it should -- I've been quite impressed.

Yesterday I added in a new HD5000 card that I purchased from mythic.tv. I knew that R5A16 didn't support this card out of the box, and after some reading I opted to upgrade to R5A26 rather than installing the drivers into R5A16.

Here's my hardware:

P4 2.8Ghz/800Mhz HT
Abit VT7 Mainboard (512MB DDR installed)
PNY Nvidia 6200 256MB Verto (using component out)
AirStar HD5000 QAM/ATSC Tuner
Hauppauge PVR-150 nonMCE (using only IR reciever portion)
Homebrew Serial IR Blaster
Soundblaster Live 5.1 (using spdif out)
200GB ATA hard drive

I used Symantec Ghost to create an image of the R5A16 install (in case of rollback) and plunged into R5A26 with the upgrade CD.

I didn't really find a complete tutorial specifically for the HD5000, but that's ok. With the help of other FAQs on the wiki and postings here I managed to patch together a general idea of what I needed to do once I was at R5A26.

The HD5000 is now installed as a DVB tuner and is being fed a coax from my basic cable subscription. I did a channel scan and it found 10 or so unencrypted HD channels that it's locked onto with it's QAM tuner.

These are my issues now:

1) I'm able to tune into various HD channels with the tuner, the picture is nice and crisp but the audio is loud static noise.

I'm really at a loss here, since this is my first experience with an HD signal and I have virtually no experience with the HD5000. I'm open to advice and ideas.

2) I'm not sure that MythTV is managing the two tuners correctly. By this I mean that when I've got the HD card tuned into a signal I can't switch back to the PVR-150 as a source.

As per the FAQ, I've tried pressing "Y" to switch between the two video sources but nothing happens. My assumption was (and I still hope it works this way) that by selecting a channel in the program guide Myth would handle switching to the appropriate source automatically.

Whatever the case, it's not working for me. I had to remove the HD5000 as a DVB source in order to get the SD satellite signal viewable again. I'm hoping that I've just got something installed incorrectly. Again, I could use some direction here.

I'm thinking I might run out and pick up an OTA antenna and see if I can have some success by going that route. I'd rather get this cable signal working though, as there are a few channels (ESPN, ESPN2, TNT) that aren't going to be available OTA.

If you have any ideas at all, please post them. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:54 pm 
Time to dig into the log files. You need to find the IVTV section of /var/log/dmesg and make sure that your PVR-150 is being detected correctly. Search for a post by me that mentions "sed" and "dmesg" for some shell commands to extract the relevant chunk.

My experience is that because of the way my PCI devices are ordered (possibly by the BIOS), having the HD-3000 in the system hoses the detection of the PVR-250 or PVR-150. At one point I was working around this by forcing the IVTV driver module to get loaded before the drivers used by the HD-3000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:41 pm 
tjc wrote:
Time to dig into the log files. You need to find the IVTV section of /var/log/dmesg and make sure that your PVR-150 is being detected correctly.

Here's the related log section. From what I can tell, it looks fine.

Code:
ivtv: ==================== START INIT IVTV ====================
ivtv: version 0.3.8 (tagged release) loading
ivtv: Linux version: 2.6.13.2-chw-3 SMP preempt 586 gcc-3.3
ivtv: In case of problems please include the debug info
ivtv: between the START INIT IVTV and END INIT IVTV lines when
ivtv: mailing the ivtv-devel mailinglist.
ivtv: Autodetected WinTV PVR 150 card (iTVC16 based)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:09.0[A] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
ivtv: Unreasonably low latency timer, setting to 64 (was 32)
tuner: chip found at addr 0xc2 i2c-bus ivtv i2c driver #0
ivtv: i2c attach to card #0 ok [client=(tuner unset), addr=61]
tveeprom: Hauppauge: model = 26032, rev = C199, serial# = 7729670
tveeprom: tuner = TCL 2002N 5H (idx = 99, type = 50)
tveeprom: tuner fmt = NTSC(M) (eeprom = 0x08, v4l2 = 0x00001000)
tveeprom: audio processor = CX25841 (type = 23)
tveeprom: decoder processor = CX25841 (type = 1c)
ivtv: i2c attach to card #0 ok [client=tveeprom[50], addr=50]
cx25840: loading /lib/modules/HcwMakoA.ROM
ivtv: i2c attach to card #0 ok [client=cx25840[50], addr=44]
ivtv: i2c attach to card #0 ok [client=wm8775[50], addr=1b]
ivtv: loading /lib/modules/ivtv-fw-enc.bin
ivtv: Encoder revision: 0x02040011
ivtv: Allocate DMA encoder MPEG stream: 128 x 32768 buffers (4096KB total)
ivtv: Allocate DMA encoder YUV stream: 194 x 10800 buffers (2048KB total)
ivtv: Allocate DMA encoder VBI stream: 120 x 17472 buffers (2048KB total)
ivtv: Allocate DMA encoder PCM audio stream: 455 x 4608 buffers (2048KB total)
tuner: type set to 50 (TCL 2002N) by ivtv i2c driver #0
ivtv: Initialized WinTV PVR 150, card #0
ivtv: ====================  END INIT IVTV  ====================

The PVR-150 is working, I have both physically installed right now. The problem occurs when I add the HD5000 as a DVB source in myth-setup, it seems to take over (once it becomes a source) and MythTV won't tune to anything on the PVR-150 when selecting from the program guide..

When I installed R5A26, the PVR-150 remote/receiver stopped working. I installed IVTV 0.3.8 (the version that worked for me in R5A16) in order to get the remote working again. I hope this isn't creating an issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:18 pm 
Ah. Do you have different "Video Source" defined for the HDTV card? Do you have any of the tuner preference things set? (The Input Preference ranking number under "Input Connections", the "try to avoid collisons between watching live TV and recording" flag under settings, ...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:04 pm 
Took me a while to get back to this HD5000 issue, there were some nasty (unrelated) MythTV lockup problems that I had to get out of the way.

I've wiped the Myth machine and put on a clean install of R5A26. Things seem to be working ok now.

As far as the audio problem I was having, I was able to remedy that by disabling AC3 passthrough -- the audio is now a clean Dolby surround sound.

The video issue seems to have been caused by two problems:

1) A non-existent starting channel defined in the input connections

2) Apparent bogus channels that made it through the QAM channel scan. Somehow the scan flagged a few channels as good (some were actually duplicates of good channels) when it shouldn't have -- tuning to these channels in question would usually hang mythfrontend.

I just deleted all but the good HD channels out of the database and put a known good starting channel in the cardinput table.

Watching live HD channels can get flakey, but the recorded HD programs seem to be fine. I don't think I'll trouble with that though, the whole reason I've put this MythTV box together is to avoid watching live tv.

So, all seems to be well ... for now :)