View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: HD-5000: No channels?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:20 pm 
Hi. I got R5A26 installed and it detects my HD5000 as a DVB card. When scanning channels, however, it finds none. Some stations on cable show "Locked," but Signal Strength is always 0%. And after the scan, there are no channels detected. OTA, signal strength is always 0%, though it the result list does show channels. None of them seem to work, though (that is, they won't record and the backend just says "no data from card after 1 second" over and over.

Is the HD5000 just a bad choice? Should I try to return it and get the HD3000 instead?

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks in advance! I'm linux-experienced, but not a hacker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:03 pm 
Do know for certain you can received a signal? How far are you from the broadcast tower? Is you antenna pointing in the right direction? What kind of antenna do you have?

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:43 pm 
I'm using the TERK HDTVi antenna, and I wondered about that, so I tried the cable as well. As for OTA, there are hills around, but antennaweb says I should be able to get at least some of them.

I wonder if I should get the HD-3000 card since it also does NTSC, and I'd be more certain of being able to find SOMETHING to at least validate that software and hardware are functioning...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:48 pm 
I think I may be experiencing a similar problem.
I'm using R5A22 (yes, I know 26 is out, but I'd like to get my HD5000 at least functioning before I redo with a r5a26 install).

Here's what I've managed to do so far:

1. Install the HD5000 card (along with the previously installed PVR150)
2. Startup Mythtv - apparently no conflict with my PVR-150
3. Ran mythtv-setup
4. configured the HD5000 capture card (which was listed under /dev/video32 Is that normal?) as:
- Card Type: pcHDTV capture card
- Video Device: /dev/video32
- Default Input: Tuner 0
5. Added video source "Antenna" (I'm using the HD5000 for OTA broadcast) with channel frequency table: us-bcast (I also created a zap2it account for over-the-air broadcast for my zip code... 'Retrieve Lineups' found all the channels correctly - excellent! ).
6. Assigned input connection HDTV:/dev/video32 (Tuner 0) as video source: "Antenna" with a starting channel of 5 (which I know to be a valid station in Chicago).

I then attempted Channel Editor. I selected Video Source "Antenna" and hit "Scan for channels". On the next screen I chose video source "Antenna" which correctly defaulted the Capture Card field to "HDTV /dev/video32". I performed a Full Scan of the Terrestrial ATSC Transport. mythtv-setup then starts scanning, but every single channel times out with the message "no signal". Singla Strength remains 0% throughout the entire scan.

So, naturally one would expect I'm not getting an OTA HD signal. However, I borrowed a friends OTA set-top box and connected it to my antenna and got all the stations in crystal clear HD, so I know my signal is strong enough.

Anybody have any idea why mythtv-setup thinks there's no signal? I'm I forgetting to do something obvious?

One more piece of information: Just to see what would happen I started up the frontend and selected WatchTV. As usual, it went directly to my PVR-150 (which is hooked into my cable line, NOT my antenna) and I could watch live tv perfectly. I hit "Y" to swap to the other tuner. It did so (actually showing a number 2 in the upper left-hand corner of the screen) but displayed "no signal lock" and after a few seconds caused the mythbox to hang (I had to reboot - even killing the front end process wasn't enough). Anyway, it seemed to confirm for me that myth is at least recognizing there is indeed a second tuner installed.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Sorry for the lengthy posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:21 pm 
Well that was dumb.

Why is it that I find my mistakes only AFTER I submit my post? :)

Apparently, the Air2PC HD5000 is _NOT_ a pcHDTV capture card.

I changed the Card Type to: Digital Video Broadcast card (DVB) which automatically changed the DVB Card Number to 0 and the Card Name to LG Electronics LGDT3303 VSB/QAM Frontend.

Huh, I guess that's right?

Anyway, I then ran the channel scan again. Several channels were added with 50% or better signal strength.

Of course, when I try to watch them in myth (after switching to Input 2 by hitting the Y key) I get a black screen and "no lock" message that requires me to reboot (it somehow locks up the frontend and screws up the backend such that myth cannot connect to the backend - no sure why yet.)

But that's for a different post, I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:27 pm 
yes well in KnoppMyth even the pchdtv3000 is not a pchdtv3000 in the sense that it uses the dvb drivers as well.

The biggest thing to make sure of is that your best channel is set as your starting channel. This is a big problem with ota hdtv, and you should be able to find plenty of posts about it.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:08 pm 
Yes, that is right.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject: QAM/PSIP info
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:19 pm 
If you are using the HD-5000 card with cable your cable provider (Comcast perhaps?) may not be sending the PSIP information with the QAM feed so the default channel scan won't pick it up. You'll have to use the tools described this very good post and this post with even more detail.

Andy