View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:48 am 
Has anyone tried a USB HDTV tuner on Myth or Linux?

Also wondering if people prefer the DVICO Fusion 5 PCI card vs. the Air2PC-HD5000-PCI? The DVICO one seems to include a remote...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:18 pm 
Thanks to Sam Q at Caloptic.com for digging up the info for me.
He contacted Michael Krufky and found this out:
The driver cannot be built alone -- it requires the linux kernel, or video4linux cvs... I have merged the drivers into the official linux kernel -- users of recent linux kernels do not have to do anything in order to get their fusionhdtv cards working... The are autodetected, and work out-of-the-box.

The linux driver is bundled with the official linux kernel, hosted on www.kernel.org.

Support for FusionHDTV3 Gold [Q/T] is included in Linux version 2.6.13 and later.

Support for FusionHDTV5 Gold is included in Linux version 2.6.14 and later.

Support for FusionHDTV5 Lite is included in unreleased development Linux version 2.6.15 ... This will be released officially in approximately a month or so.

I have only begun working on FusionHDTV5 USB... There is nothing ready yet. This will most likely be ready for linux version 2.6.17.

In order to use the FusionHDTV5 Lite driver, a user will have to either:

A) use an experimental development linux kernel >= 2.6.15-rc2
B) install the code from video4linux cvs and dvb-kernel cvs.

You can acquire these kernels at http://www.kernel.org

If you would like to install the drivers WITHOUT installing a new linux kernel, they are included between linux-dvb cvs and video4linux cvs.
There are instructions for how to install these modules located at:

http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Ho ... d_from_CVS

(Requires Linux Kernel >= 2.6.12)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:03 pm 
Cool! The next major release will probably have 2.6.15.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:33 am 
http://www.datoptic.com/FusionHDLinux.html

Quote:
Update Jan 05, 2006

I'm pleased to announce that I have a working linux driver for ATSC mode only (for now) for FusionHDTV5 USB Gold.

I've attached the patch to this email, if you are curious. The patch applies against the new v4l-dvb cvs repository, specifically, the cxusb driver (conexant ref design) under the dvb-usb framework:

http://linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ ... /?root=v4l

Once applied to cvs, users can download and install the driver by following the instructions on this page: (This will work for any linux supported DViCO device)

http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Ho ... d_from_CVS ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:55 am 
Update: the 2.6.16 kernel has been released so no need now to prepatch. It should just work with a vanilla 2.6.16 kernel and the firmware.

I can verify that the usb fusionhdtv 5 works OK for 8VSB (OTA HD). I put linux-2.6.16-rc6 (2.6.15 + 2.6.16-rc6 prepatch) on a system, enabled the proper options in kernel build (dvb usb support and conexant dvb usb support) and the firmware (cd linux/Documentation/dvb; perl get_dvb_firmware bluebird; cp dvb-usb-bluebird-01.fw /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware) and after that it was just plug and play (the little box lights up with a purpleish glow after being plugged in if everything goes well).

mythtv handles it just like any other dvb card. I didn't test the analog part because I don't believe it's supported yet. I was able to scan and watch TV with it. It didn't see my VHF HD channel on scan, but was able to tune to it just fine (I have other HD cards in the system who had already added that channel on scan).

It comes with a cheapie little metal coathanger... er um "antenna" which really shows off the gadget. I mean that because I plugged it into my laptop (running windows with the dvico software) with just that antenna hooked up and was able to get 40 of the 46 available channels. All of the digitals except for 2-1 (the VHF channel. Unsurprising given the "antenna" is about a 20" long single pole). It's analog reception seems a lot weaker than the digital in the windows software.

Cheers.