View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:28 am 
The following are my notes for how I got my new 5th gen DVICO fusion HDTV card to work. It took me pretty much an entire day and then some ... so I hope this helps someone and also maybe leads to a smoother automated experience for all. Also as a side note if you have a streamzap remote control, you need to upgrade lirc to 8.0.0pre* to fix a bug where it hangs your machine. This also took me awhile to figure out and isn't covered in the below instructions.

NOTE : All instructions were performed as root

Code:
Prep:
Upgrade gawk (to fix bug which stops being able to build .deb of kernel):
- add the following to your /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

now issue:
1) apt-get update
2) apt-get install gawk

New Kernel:
1) Download linux-2.6.15.1.tar.bz2 from kernel.org to /usr/src/linux-2.6.15.1.tar.bz2
2) extract to /usr/src/linux-2.6.15.1 [/usr/src# tar xjf linux-2.6.15.1.tar.bz2]
3) cp /usr/src/linux/.config /usr/src/linux-2.6.15.1/.config
4) rm /usr/src/linux (answer yes to prompt to remove symbolic link)
5) ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.15.1 /usr/src/linux
6) cd /usr/src/linux
7) make oldconfig
8) Accept all defaults for prompts EXCEPT WHEN YOU GET TO "Video For Linux".
"Video For Linux"
VIDEO_BT848_DVB (Y)
(the rest defaults)
8) follow http://www.us.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch08s05.html.en#id2527454
[what I did]
   make-kpkg clean
   fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
   make-kpkg modules_image
   dpkg -i ../kernel-image-2.6.15.1_custom.1.0_i386.deb
9) add the following to the image section of /etc/lilo.conf [this should have been done by the dpkg -i command above .. but it didn't work?]
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15.1
        label=Linux2.6.15
        initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
        read-only
10) change default=Linux to be default=Linux2.6.15
11) rerun lilo
lilo

REBOOT!

Now you need to install v4l-dvb .. follow http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Ho ... d_from_CVS

REBOOT!

At this point you should be able to use your card .. you can follow the instructions at:
URLs contained are:
http://linuxtv.org/~mkrufky/atscscan/

To test some HDTV channels .. however, you might instead move forward because those instructions can take some time to accomplish and are in essence not needed if myth works right away (but go back and try them if myth didn't work, just to confirm there is nothing wrong with the card).

To configure the channels was a MAJOR pain in the butt (like the above wasn't already). But I had to also do the following (thanks to "Human" for his script (origins at mythic) that fixes the channels up to be displayed. If you don't do this, the channel scan loads in channels but there are no valid PIDs, they don't match the zap2it channels, and leave you with a mythtv box that doesn't know how to use the hdtv card.

To add channels to myth:
Code:
12) STOP BACKEND and go into mythtv-setup
13) clean all channels and tuners
14) Add DVB tuner
15) Add zap 2 it subcription info back in
16) connect tuner to zap2it
17) go into channel editor and do a channel scan
18) exit mythtv-setup
19) start backend
20) run /usr/local/bin/DVB_fixer.sh (I had to edit the script and remove the section that tested modules and stopped if no DVB modules were found ... the modules must be different for the DVICO card than the pchdtv and air2pc cards)
21) now go into mythweb, go the the channel editor and remove any channels that don't have freqid filled in.

From the point you can start your front end and check channels to see if they truly work. I've been trimming the channels that don't really show up ...

I've also noticed what I think is a bug with networks that broadcast multiple subchannels, this somehow screws up myth so that it can't tune into live TV (have not tested recorded shows yet) for anything except the LAST subchannel (in my area this means ABC broadcasts under 6_1, but they also have 6_2 and 6_3 and when I change channels I can only change to 6_3).

Hope this helps someone. If you make any progress on tuning subchannels please let me know.

Thanks go to Human for the DVB_fixer.sh script (included in R5A26) and BIG thanks go to Michael Krufky who wrote the DVICO fusion5 hdtv driver and also walked me through the above steps for rebuilding the kernel and v4l-dvb. He was a HUGE help on IRC.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:55 am 
Quote:
Now you need to install v4l-dvb .. follow http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Ho ... d_from_CVS

REBOOT!

I've been informed that if you have kernel 2.15.1 you don't need to recompile v4l-dvb as the driver is included in the kernel itself. So you don't need to do this step (can't hurt, but doesn't necessarily help either).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:27 pm 
Great post! I have been looking for something like this.

However, I am having problems with atscscan... a very newbie problems...

when I run:
Quote:
./atscscan -A 1 -vvv atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB > ~/.azap/channels.conf

I get
Quote:
scanning atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB
using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
main:2232: FATAL: failed to open '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0': 16 Device or resource busy

Which I presume means my card is being used by some other program. How do I figure out what program is using it and kill it? When I try to watch TV from the frontend, I get the following in my mythbackend log:
Quote:
2006-01-22 13:07:05.441 DVB#0 Recorder: Card opened successfully (using PS mode).
2006-01-22 13:07:05.449 DVB#0 ERROR - No PIDS set, please correct your channel setup.

So I think I am very very close to getting HDTV working!

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:49 pm 
bubba wrote:
Great post! I have been looking for something like this.

However, I am having problems with atscscan... a very newbie problems...

It's funny how newbie in this context is hella-advanced user in any other context. :)

Quote:
when I run:
Quote:
./atscscan -A 1 -vvv atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB > ~/.azap/channels.conf

I get
Quote:
scanning atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB
using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
main:2232: FATAL: failed to open '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0': 16 Device or resource busy

I'm assuming you shut down your front end? Also, I set my front end up to only open the DVB card when in use (I think it's an advanced setting in the DVB menu in mythtv-setup. You might also try fuser /dev/dvb/adaptor0/frontend0 or fuser /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0 ... fuser will list the process that has the file/device open.

Quote:
2006-01-22 13:07:05.441 DVB#0 Recorder: Card opened successfully (using PS mode).
2006-01-22 13:07:05.449 DVB#0 ERROR - No PIDS set, please correct your channel setup.

No PIDS set is an indication that you haven't run the DVB_fixer.sh yet .. between the channel scan and the zap2it information the PIDS get set in the database.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:31 pm 
Quote:
I'm assuming you shut down your front end? Also, I set my front end up to only open the DVB card when in use (I think it's an advanced setting in the DVB menu in mythtv-setup

Yes I had shutdown my frontend. I FAILED to make the change in the advanced settings. That fixed part of my problem.

Changing the starting channel in mythtv-setup wasn't taking affect until I restarted the backend which I was not doing until now.

I now have an HD picture!! Woohoo!!

Now I need to figure out why it's not filling my entire screen. I am currently using my plasma s-video (will use it's HDMI... one step at a time)... I am guessing there are some mplayer options that I need to tweak...

BTW, I can confirm that I didn't have to install v4l-dvb seperately...

Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:26 pm 
bubba wrote:
I now have an HD picture!! Woohoo!!

Awesome!

Quote:
Now I need to figure out why it's not filling my entire screen. I am currently using my plasma s-video (will use it's HDMI... one step at a time)... I am guessing there are some mplayer options that I need to tweak...

For me, there was a button on my remote set to scroll through mplayer's aspect ratio's (4:3, 4:3 zoom, 16:9, 16:9 zoom, fill, etc). There is also a keyboard button that does this (can't remember which one, my guess is A but I forget). Either way, the HD signal broadcasts whatever the network sends it in .. a lot of times I'm seeing 4:3 in 16:9 box ... so I use 16:9 zoom ... some other times I see true 16:9. So at any rate, it's not mplayer's fault .. right now it seems networks just don't broadcast 16:9 all the time.

I'm jealous of your HDTV .. :) I am looking at a SDTV but my goal is to get a plasma at some point in the future. This entire effort is to support that HDTV when the time comes.

I am curious if you have 'tearing' in your picture at all. I'm not sure yet if it is playback or the original signal, I intend on testing it by playing on other machines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:30 pm 
Be careful trying to use DVB_fixer.sh that comes with R5A30.2. The DviCo Fusion HDTV 5 Lite uses the kernel module dvb_bt8xx but the DVB_fixer.sh script checks to see if dvb-bt8xx is loaded, so it won't run at all until you fix that.

I don't know if the next problem I encountered is because I have a 1 master + 2 slave backend setup and the DVB is on a slave backend, but here it is. DVB_fixer.sh appeared to be adding in all of the channel information in the guide, at least, but then bombed out when it tried to make a backup of the channels. That left the channel database in a state such that I had to re-run mythfilldatabase on the master.

More notes on what actually fixes this as I make it through the steps, but I thought I'd warn any other potentials.

-Scott

Post subject: More info, please...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:29 am 
samilliken wrote:
Be careful trying to use DVB_fixer.sh that comes with R5A30.2. The DviCo Fusion HDTV 5 Lite uses the kernel module dvb_bt8xx but the DVB_fixer.sh script checks to see if dvb-bt8xx is loaded, so it won't run at all until you fix that.

Does that mean you have to alter the DVB_fixer.sh to not check, or that you have to stop dvb_bt8xx from running? How would you do that? Sorry if this is a dumb question... :)

Post subject: Re: More info, please...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:30 am 
Harbinger wrote:
samilliken wrote:

Does that mean you have to alter the DVB_fixer.sh to not check, or that you have to stop dvb_bt8xx from running? How would you do that? Sorry if this is a dumb question... :)

May be answering my own question...one name uses "-", the other uses "_". D'oh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:11 pm 
Here's my setup, so if you've got anything close to this, don't try mixing HDTV and SDTV. All systems are running KnoppMyth R5A30.2. I got the livingroom box back to a state of WifeCompatibility 1.0, so I'll have to wait until next weekend to try the HDTV bit again.

mbe (PVR 500MCE)
|
|
|_________> livingroom (slave backend, PVR 250)
|
|
|_________> mediaroom (slave backend, DviCo Fusion HDTV5 Lite)

So I set up mbe/video0, then livingroom/video0, then mbe/video1 and verified that I had all the master/slave workings going on correctly. I also set up mediaroom as a slave backend with no card defined and verified that I could watch tv/recordings on it from the master backend as well.

I then upgraded the kernel per instructions here and ran the channel scan. That's where I discovered that the DVB_fixer.sh script has the "-" instead of "_" in the bt_8xx module.

I also discovered that mysqldump has some weird permissions issues, because every time that the script attempted to dump the existing channels/dtv_multiplexer tables it would error out. I was able to fix this by changing the dump directory from /tmp (instead of the default /root/tmp in the script).

For some reason it tells me that I don't have any DTV channels defined, yet I can look in the database tables and see that I have DTV channels. What may be off is that it already figured out the XMLTV ID's, which if I'm reading the scripts correctly, is the purpose of running the scripts. However, in attempting to bypass the sanity check it's quite likely that I borked the script, because the mbe then decided that I didn't have any valid encoders at all on any systems.

I had to wipe out the card database and add in the Hauppauge cards again. For now the mediaroom box is just a backend/frontend with no capture cards defined. I think this weekend I'll try to set it up as a standalone back/frontend with the HDTV tuner card, because I'm really wanting to save some of the Olympics in HDTV, especially if there are any good wipeouts on the skeleton run!

-Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:21 pm 
Sorry to hear you are having problems!

Just to be clear to anyone reading this thread, you seem to be having problems mixing HDTV and SDTV (I know you stated this, but it didn't jump out). If you are doing HDTV only the script (seems to) work just fine.

I hadn't considered that the script would bork up SDTV channels. I have a REALLY cheap SDTV capture card I was thinking of putting in, but I'm really leaning towards just putting in another DVICO card if need be. It 'just works' and I don't need more stress if I can avoid it for a mere $99. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:01 pm 
samilliken wrote:
WifeCompatibility 1.0
-Scott

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Frontends: Buffalo Link Theater, Mac Mini Intel duo core & Xbox