View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Confused
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:55 pm 
So i've been reading up on HDTV and stuff. I see that people that have comcast are using the firewire out. Does this mean it just goes from the box to the firewire port and no other card is needed? (also anyone know if TimeWarner has these boxes?) Cause that would be sweet. Like in my area broadcast HD i can only receive about 3 channels, but through the cable box i get about 10 i think. So would be much cooler to do HD through the cable box. Plus, i just bought a pvr-500 for 4 tuners, so can't justify to the wife just yet getting another card.

If it does go from the box to the system directly without another card, so hopefully that would be used first or if a show was in HD that first, but than i couldn't use it to watch tv on it at the same time correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:04 pm 
yes it goes from the box straight to a firewire port. I don't know if timewarner uses these boxes or not. Which one records first will depend on the order and priority of your tuners, however anything hd that no other tuner can record would get recorded on the firewire, and yes if you are recording on it you cannot use it for livetv. it acts like any other tuner.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:09 pm 
Quote:
yes if you are recording on it you cannot use it for livetv. it acts like any other tuner.

I know i wouldn't be able to watch livetv through mythtv on it. What i meant was, i have component cables from the box to the TV, could i watch TV from the cable box through that? Or it would be what was being recorded?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:12 pm 
well you could watch it from the component cables, however if you changed the channel it would change the channel on the recording as well. The firewire input changes the channel when the recording first begins, but it does not monitor it or lock it, so someone can change the channel on the box and it will change it in the recording as well.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:51 pm 
That's what i figured. Ok i pulled out the cable box, it does have 2 1394 pots back there. So i just need a cable and a card, which i think i have both somewhere around. I'll look tomorrow. But a couple questions if that's ok:

Which port should i use for one?

[edited, question for this thread answered, starting a new one]