View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: sorry, newbie questions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:23 pm 
i've just had it pointed out to me i posted this in the wrong forum...

<snip>

hi all,

sorry about these lame questions but i am totally new to both linux and myth tv...

my main problem is that i can't seem to tune any channels on my hauppage nova-t (old version) with myth tv. the setup is pretty confusing to someone coming from showshifter where it is a one click setup!

The error message was something to do with the transport stream which brings me to my second question...

how do you get back into the configuration script?! when i quit the configuration to post this message (after messing around to actually install a graphical browser) i couldn't get back into the configuration, i assume its a shell command but what is it?

thanks for your help and sorry for the rubbish questions

dicki

</snip>

i've found out how to re-run the setup but am still having trouble with the tuning. any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:25 pm 
dicki wrote:
sorry about these lame questions but i am totally new to both linux and myth tv...

Hey! no problem.. there are a lot of newbies here.. we're doing this for the fun of it! .. It's probably a better idea to try to use a "subject" line that summarizes the problem that you are trying to solve, rather than what might be regarded as a personal issue. (no snub intended!) Coming back with a posting on the solution (once you're there) can serve as a place for other newbies to find solutions!

I'm not sure why they turned the flame on you .. It looks like an installation question to me! Until the stuff works.. it's still in an "installation phase" .. but that's just the way I see it. (I could be wrong!)

Did you try out the script that "tcj" suggested? (I'll take your comment.. "re-run the setup but am still having trouble" .. that you've tried that!)

tcj wrote:
You most likely need to rerun /usr/bin/mythtv-setup. You can do this either from a shell window (Alt-X) or by exiting the front end and using the Alt-S key.

By the way.. "Alt-X" and "Alt-S" are screen commands that work on the gui front end.. "Alt-X" opens an x-window terminal .. "Alt-S" turns on the setup menu .. and "Alt-M" restarts the mythfrontend.

dicki wrote:
i can't seem to tune any channels on my hauppage nova-t (old version) with myth tv.

Can you elaborate on this a little? Is this (not working) in "Watch TV" mode? Does anything else work or not work? .. such as, does "volume" work? .. and a little more description of your setup? .. monitor plugged into a video card? TV plugged into the hauppauge card? (I'm actually not familiar with that card.. I have the Hauppauge PVR350. Let me guess.. you're not in N. America! the hauppauge website says that it's only marketted in europe! .. and, it's a "digital" card!)

Hauppauge PVR-350, IR Blaster, Comcast Digital Cable
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/KnoppMyth/
KnoppMyth R5F27 >> R5.5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:54 pm 
BluesBrian wrote:
I'm not sure why they turned the flame on you ..

BluesBrian - You've got flames on the brain. This is the second time this weekend you've responded like this when I pointed out to someone that they were off topic in the installation forum. If I tell someone politely or humorously that they're off topic it saves them either a real chewing out or having their thread disappear mysteriously. You'll also note that even though both responses were brief (so as not to lose a lot of time if they got nuked) they actually contained the core information. :?

BTW - If you think this is a flame you really need to readjust your perceptions.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:56 am 
tjc wrote:
This is the second time this weekend you've responded like this when I pointed out to someone that they were off topic in the installation forum. If I tell someone politely or humorously that they're off topic it saves them either a real chewing out or having their thread disappear mysteriously.

I wasn't sure that I got your attention on the first round. Having grown up in the northeast (enjoying your snow?) and spent the last 25 years in parts west, I have a better understanding that sarcasm often isn't taken as humorous or polite.

tjc wrote:
You'll also note that even though both responses were brief (so as not to lose a lot of time if they got nuked) they actually contained the core information. :?

Noted and appreciated.

tjc wrote:
BTW - If you think this is a flame you really need to readjust your perceptions.

Nope, not taken that way. I appreciate your frank response.

// Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:04 am 
naaa it was good to have that pointed out, I’d spent the whole day getting hacked off with windows so I forgot my forum etiquette.

Anyway. I still can’t auto tune any channels using my Hauppauge Nova-t DVB card.

In the graphical setup utility (which I can now get back to, thanks tjc) I first add a new capture card which the system seems to correctly detect (it detects the Philips chipset the card uses). I then add a Video Source for the UK. Finally I use the Input Connections screen to associate the card to the source.

After all of this I try to auto tune the channels. A box pops up indicating signal strength (60%) signal to noise ratio (0%) and progress (0%) this stays on screen for a few minutes and then fails with a “transport stream” problem.

There is an additional configuration page which mentions the transport stream and seems to indicate that I need to manually find the transport stream? Is this right and are there any lists online for it?

Thanks for your help

Dicki