View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:00 am 
Hey duhasst,

Have you tried 108Mbps "super g" in ad-hoc mode? I'm about to test that out over the weekend, time permitting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:18 pm 
mihanson wrote:
Hey duhasst,

Have you tried 108Mbps "super g" in ad-hoc mode? I'm about to test that out over the weekend, time permitting.

When I tried G it was "Boosted" 108MBit mode. I tried it with just the backend and the frontend on the network and didn't work for me. I'm setting up the 802.11a stuff now. This also has boosted A+G but I'm just going to go with A only.

duhasst

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:38 pm 
duhasst wrote:
mihanson wrote:
Hey duhasst,

When I tried G it was "Boosted" 108MBit mode. I tried it with just the backend and the frontend on the network and didn't work for me. I'm setting up the 802.11a stuff now. This also has boosted A+G but I'm just going to go with A only.

duhasst

Any success on the 802.11a wireless? I'm interested in a wireless solution also. TIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:08 am 
Would :power over ethernet" work? These systems are farily cheap and provie 85 mbps throughout...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:14 am 
I probably shouldn't be posting at 3AM :-) -- I used the wrong term when I referenced "Power over Ethernet". What I meant was... Have you considered using the adaptors that enable you to run ethernet over the power lines in your house. I have heard from friends that they work well these days, and the specs show 85 mbps.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:19 am 
marc.aronson wrote:
I probably shouldn't be posting at 3AM :-) -- I used the wrong term when I referenced "Power over Ethernet". What I meant was... Have you considered using the adaptors that enable you to run ethernet over the power lines in your house. I have heard from friends that they work well these days, and the specs show 85 mbps.

Marc

I'd be interesting in hearing of anyone who has tried this. I'll also do a search for more info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:47 am 
Since I've been working on this issue for the past week, and I'll post my progress in this thread for others to know.

I have two Belkin 802.11g PCI cards (F5D7000 rev.5100) that I picked up at WalMart back in January...These cards use the MadWiFi (ath_pci) linux drivers. These are NOT 108 turbo cards, just stock 802.11g.

Installing them, I planned on setting up an 'adhoc' cell to have my BE and FE share data on. I already have a 802.11b cell for the main home internet, and run that on channel 11 to keep the cell frequencies from clashing.

R5F1 loads everything for the g boards, but sets them up as simple wireless stations. I issue these commands when su'ed as root:

Code:
wlanconfig ath0 destroy
wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode adhoc
iwconfig ath0 rate 54M
iwconfig ath0 chanel 1
iwconfig ath0 essid MYTHTV
ifconfig ath0 192.168.200.xxx netmask 255.255.255.0

WHERE should I put these commands so that they would execute at bootup?

Set a different IP address for the FE and BE, then make sure that the BE is using that IP address, via mythtv-setup.

I've got 1080i HD recordings working with this setup, and there may be a few initial video glitches, but i'm pleased with the streaming speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:16 am 
Excellent work. I'm keeping my eye on this. I just spent $100 for a fancy cable puller from pacificcable.com thinking I was going to have to run wired. I saw circuit city was selling Netgear power modules and thought, hmmm backup plan maybe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:57 am 
FYI -- I purchased a pair of "Ethernet over power line" adapters. While they were rated at 85mbps, they were only able to sustain a throughput rate of 7.5mbps. I exchanged some email with their tech support department and they indicated that in practice this is about as good as it gets with the "Ethernet over power line" adapters. They pointed me to an independent reviewer that confirmed their assertion that this was not an issue specific to their brand. I returned them before I tried them with MYTHTV, but 7.5mbps should be sufficient for downloading program guide data and remote playback of standard definition recordings. It would not be sufficient for remote playback of hidef recordings.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:21 am 
larrybpsu wrote:
R5F1 loads everything for the g boards, but sets them up as simple wireless stations. I issue these commands when su'ed as root:

Code:
wlanconfig ath0 destroy
wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode adhoc
iwconfig ath0 rate 54M
iwconfig ath0 chanel 1
iwconfig ath0 essid MYTHTV
ifconfig ath0 192.168.200.xxx netmask 255.255.255.0

WHERE should I put these commands so that they would execute at bootup?

There may be a more correct way than what you have found
to get it to work, but given that you have already found a
way to get it to work, you could just stick that code snippet
in /etc/init.d/networking at the end of the start) section.

Look for:
Code:
start)

...and put at the very end of that section. In my version
(R5F1) it would be between these two lines at the end of
the start) section:
Code:
    fi
    ;;

You may need to give full paths to each of the programs
that you run. If so use the which command to get the
full path for each program.