View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Stream DVB via VLC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:40 pm 
So after lots of hunting I have concluded that mythstreamtv doesn't really stream a .TS stream over the network via VLC - it actually transcodes it and then shuffles it off as a stream.

What I'm looking for is to stream a DVB TS stream complete over the network to a VLC client on a windows box. We have a similar setup to this at work. Channel changing is achieved via an m3u playlist pointing to a different IP and port for each channel.

It seems the current release of knoppmyth (R5A30.2) has VLC bundled but it isn't compiled with the required --enable-dvb flag that permits dvb streaming.

See: http://www.videolan.org/doc/videolan-howto/en/ch06.html

Any chance we can get this included in the new KnoppMyth release that's just around the corner?

If not, anybody successfully recompiled VLC on KnoppMyth before and can give a few helpful hints?

Or am I heading in the wrong direction and should just stick with mythstreamtv? I want the "Live TV" streaming particularly, and having installed the mythstreamtvLIVE (as seen here http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... thstreamtv) patch, I am not clear how this will work with a DVB card vs an PVR-350 that everybody seems to have.

I have a Fusion Plus DVB-T for the record...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:59 pm 
Well I might as well follow up on my original post since there are no other replies as yet ;)

For those who maybe heading down the same path, I have finally successfully got DVB streaming working via VLC.

I am looking at modifying the already excellent "mythstreamtvLIVE" scripts developed by khrusher in this thread to incorporate pure DVB streaming of Live TV, rather than transcoding it. I could never get khrusher's scripts working for Live TV due to the scripts being very Hauppauge and NTSC specific (I am in Australia and as a result, PAL and DVB oriented)

If I am able to replicate my success compiling VLC and its dependencies (of which there are a lot!) with --enable-dvb, I will document the procedure on the knoppmyth wiki.

However, at the moment it seems I have broken streaming of recorded tv programs (.nuv format) via mythweb :( I'm not sure exactly what the problem is yet, the logs haven't show up anything conclusive.

If cesman and co could include compile VLC with the --enable-dvb flag in the next release of KnoppMyth, this would make this process A LOT easier :) Thanks for all your hard work guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:51 am 
Nice one! looking forward to the howto ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:56 am 
scythe wrote:
If cesman and co could include compile VLC with the --enable-dvb flag in the next release of KnoppMyth, this would make this process A LOT easier :) Thanks for all your hard work guys!
It would be easier if you provided all the details... That way, you'd likely find that this just works out the box. BTW: This came in to late to make it into R5B7. In addtion, I have very specific requirements for feature requests...

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:09 am 
cesman wrote:
[It would be easier if you provided all the details... That way, you'd likely find that this just works out the box. BTW: This came in to late to make it into R5B7. In addtion, I have very specific requirements for feature requests...

I'm happy to provide the details - just have to put together the how-to doc on the wiki.

What are your specific requirements for feature requests?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:10 pm 
Perhaps a search for 'R5 feature request'....

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!