View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:04 am 
G'day,

Does anyone have an opinion on which of the DVB cards in Australia has the best frontend etc ?

I'm not too worried about price per performance.

Also which cards have source code available for the drivers ?

I haven't looked at these cards for a while, but have had some experience with the twinhan card becuase it was cheap.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:17 am 
I've been running a DVICO fusionHTDV-Lite DVB-T for almost a year now and have had excellent results with it. I did some research before picking it up, and enough people commented that it seemed to be better than a lot of the other cards for lower strength signals. Was totally plug-n-play with knoppmyth -- a no brainer.

Only downside i can say is that it is always bundled with their remote. I don't really like remote design, and had enough problems with it working reliably i finally gave up and got a different one. Others have different degrees of success.

If i could find somewhere that would sell me a naked card without the bundled remote and usb dongle i'd buy a second one tomorrow.

j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:35 am 
I picked up a DVICO lite on ebay for AU$66 with remote. I quite like the remote, although there were two versions sold with the DVICO cards. I have the older version, but I think all new cards are sold with the new version.

I already had a DVICO DVT-T1 which I paid $230 for.

Getting them working as a dual tuner setup took all of about 5 minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:10 pm 
I have the Twinhan clones and they seem to work alright for a cheap card even at lower signal strengths. These two were plug in pray with KnoppMyth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:36 pm 
Either the AverMedia 771 or the DVICO FusionHDTV Lite are good choices. KnoppMyth R5A* will work out of the box with them. At work, I have also had some success with the TwinhanDTV MagicBoxII (which requires an extra line in /etc/modules)

I also use TwinHan VisionPlus (1020) at home. They work OK, but they need a very strong signal (I have an RF amplifier with separate outputs for each card)

Sadly, some of these are old cards, and hard to find in stores. Most newer cards (e.g Aver 777) will have problems with drivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:12 pm 
I have a pair of Leadtek DV1000Ts , work great under the latest Knoppmyth ,recognised straight away , installed fine and work as expected under myth. For $75 each I couldnt go past them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:56 pm 
Thanks one and all,

I have bought a DVICO DVB-T Plus, I'm not sure if this is the same as the ones mentioned, but seemed to be supported by linux at least. I also have a twinhan from the last time I played around with Myth. I'm also interested in which remotes are supported out of the box.

My impression last time was that the twinhan was cheap but was crap in the frontend and required really good signal, sounds like the dvico is the go, I see that there is a "dvico" remote supported when I do the install

Cheers

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:34 am 
I've been using the DVICO Fusion DVB-T Plus for about a year now and it hasn't let me down yet. Seems to install without problem on R5B7 and I was able to use the scan for channels feature during setup without problem. (Sydney north shore)

I hope you have some fun with your new toy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:47 pm 
G'day,

I am having a little trouble with the Plus, it seems that the frontend may have changed, currently investigating :)

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:24 pm 
regattadj wrote:
I have a pair of Leadtek DV1000Ts , work great under the latest Knoppmyth ,recognised straight away , installed fine and work as expected under myth. For $75 each I couldnt go past them.

I couldn't get the remote going on these cards so i had to use an old capture card with it's old remote to control mythtv.