View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:04 pm 
Hello

I'm having some trouble getting my Air2PC card finding any channels. I have the following card. I tested it for one month on XP and it works fine with my antenna....

Techsan Electronics Co Ltd B2C2 FlexCopII DVB chip / Technisat SkyStar2 DVB card (rev 02)

The front-end is a Broadcom BCM3510KPF chip.

My myth box has been running R4V5 since the end of 2004 I upgraded to R5B7 this past week....Today I installed installed firmware dvb-fe-bcm3510-01.fw. It really speeds up channel scan but still did not find any channels. Also at the end of the scan I did notice some low signals around 25% or so but no signal lock at all. On Xp I can get 90's on most of the channels....

Here is the relivant part of syslog that I need some insight with if possible.
I did a lot of googling and testing today and it seems to indicate my guess is some sort of a problem with the kernel....

Mar 22 20:34:20 mythtv kernel: b2c2-flexcop: B2C2 FlexcopII/II(b)/III digital TV receiver chip loaded successfully
Mar 22 20:34:20 mythtv kernel: flexcop-pci: will use the HW PID filter.
Mar 22 20:34:20 mythtv kernel: flexcop-pci: card revision 2
Mar 22 20:34:20 mythtv kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:0d.0[A] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
Mar 22 20:34:20 mythtv kernel: DVB: registering new adapter (FlexCop Digital TV device).
Mar 22 20:34:20 mythtv kernel: b2c2-flexcop: MAC address = 00:d0:d7:30:1c:cf
Mar 22 20:34:20 mythtv kernel: b2c2-flexcop: i2c master_xfer failed
Mar 22 20:34:20 mythtv last message repeated 2 times
Mar 22 20:34:20 mythtv kernel: i2c_readbytes: i2c read error (addr 0a, err == -121)
Mar 22 20:34:20 mythtv kernel: b2c2-flexcop: i2c master_xfer failed
Mar 22 20:34:20 mythtv kernel: lgdt330x: i2c_read_demod_bytes: addr 0x59 select 0x02 error (ret == -121)
Mar 22 20:34:20 mythtv kernel: bcm3510: Revision: 0x1, Layer: 0xb.
Mar 22 20:34:20 mythtv kernel: b2c2-flexcop: found the bcm3510 at i2c address: 0x0f
Mar 22 20:34:20 mythtv kernel: DVB: registering frontend 0 (Broadcom BCM3510 VSB/QAM frontend)...
Mar 22 20:34:20 mythtv kernel: b2c2-flexcop: initialization of 'Air2PC/AirStar 2 ATSC 1st generation' at the 'PCI' bus controlled by a 'FlexCopIIb' complete
Mar 22 20:34:20 mythtv kernel: hw_random hardware driver 1.0.0 loaded

Any thoughts would be appreciated, please let me know if you need any more info.....

Thanks

Last edited by RacerX on Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:52 pm 
Well I did a little more research and here is my workaround.

First, read the posts on

http://www.hd5000.com/

They give a lot of info as to what's working and what is not on Air2PC

I decided to first take a stab at what works just to prove prof of concept.

So I looked at this post

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8019

I decided to use R5v30.2 from Stratch using Auto Install

Once the auto install completed I followed this post

http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page ... romWindows

* Verify that you're forwarding X11 on your mythbox by editing the file /etc/ssh/sshd_config as root:

xedit /etc/ssh/sshd_config (or use your editor of choice)

* Then look for this line, and if it's currently set to "no" change it to "yes":

X11Forwarding yes

* Restart ssh by doing the following as root:

/etc/init.d/ssh restart

It is nice to have two systems to troubleshoot the install
via putty and Winscp

Copy the firmware file dvb-fe-bcm3510-01.fw to
/lib/firmware/

You can also install Mozilla

Code
apt-get update
apt-get install Monzilla
answer Y and select default

Log into your zap2it account select only the broadcast channels if your only using the Air2PC card

Reboot the system

Code
/etc/init.d/mytv-backend stop
Mythtv-Setup

Under General change the Setting from NTSC to ATSC
Under Capture Card set up a DVB card, use defaults
Setup a Video Source for Antenna
Under Input Connections choose the source Antenna that just created

Tip ** You must chose a default channel and this a a big deal because it likes to default to Channel 3 which does not exist when you have an Antenna. It also returns to 3 when the backends crashes I think. If you leave it on 3 it will not work. Morever you have to pick a channel that you are gettting the strongest signal from. I used the card in Windows XP so I knew to try ABC or PBS first.

Tip ** The syntax of the channels would be 7-1 is channel 71 always take out the punctuation....This will save you many many black screens in when you try to start live tv.

Now run scanning for channels

Tip **You may have to do this two or three times to get all of the channels depending on what the signal is like.

Run mythfilldatabase

Reboot the system

Tip ** Air2PC 2.0 initilization is pretty slow. My 1ghz system always starts up faster than the Air2pc card. This causes the mythtv-backend not to start up correctly. I see in the mythbackend log it did not find any channels at all . However, if I wait 1 or 2 minutes and then connect with Putty

Root
then Password
$ femon

It shows that the channels are in fact locking !!!!!

Then all I have to do is

Open a shell and run
su
/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start

use fluxbox chose restart to start myth

Live TV will now work

A couple more things. I really like the fact that R5v30.2 can see my whole 200GB drive In the past I was limited to 137gb on my machine. As a long time PVR-250 analog cable user the Air2pc OTA combo is a lot less refined. On the bright side the quality is excellent on SD channels.

I'm still wondering why I could not get the channel scan in R5B7 to find any channels. There is a post in CVS that states something about not having a way to determine which revision of Air2PC is being used.

I want to thank vtdstein95 for the post, and WattoToydarian, and entourage for the Firmware link

Compaq Deskpro En 1GHz
512mb PC133 Ram
BFG Nivdia FX5200 64mb
Air2PC r2.0
R5v30.2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:03 pm 
Hello Again

After some more testing I was finally able to get my Air2PC R2.0 Card working correctly with R5B7. I did a full install....

If you follow the directions in my previous post it should work fine. Basically you have to be patient with the channel scan because it may or may not find any channels. If you're patient and wait a minute or two between the scans it will eventually find your channels.

The only tweaking that I did was to edit all of my channels to remove any punctuation.

Tip ** The syntax of the channels would be 7-1 is channel 71 always take out the punctuation....This will save you many many black screens in when you try to start live tv.

Also dont forget to go back and set your default channel so that it defaults to something other than channel 3 that is nice and strong.

First, thoughts on R5B7 - The channel changes seem very slow compared with 30.2. Probably at least twice as slow. When you acess a channel the OS now shows a translucent banner that shows the strength of your channel. Very Nice and helpful....

It now possible to check what is on each channel without tuning in the channel. Pretty nice feature ....Also if a channel can not be tuned in it defaults to your default channel. This eliminates the black screen that forced you to reboot all of the time....nice