View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:38 am 
I got one of these cards and am having a devil of a time getting the setup options right (it's not working correctly). I'll share what I've encountered...maybe someone can guide me.

Setup options in MythTV are confusing. Since there's no specific option for this card, I chose the "pcHDTV card with V4L drivers" type. (I tried the DVB card type but it doesn't have proper setup parameters to allow choosing the onboard S-Video as an input, although it does identify the card's LG chipset.) I tried first to receive any clear channels on my local Time Warner feed with 0 success. I then decided to go back and just tune any OTA HDTV broadcasts with an indoor antenna. I modified my Zap2It listing, of course, and chose only the stations in my city.

When starting MythTV and going into Watch TV mode, I get a blank screen which finally bounces back to the menu. The mythbackend.log shows the oft-quoted "HD5 Error." I can run dtvscan and it shows the channels; dtvsignal allows me to tune to them and gives me the program audio, but the signal bargraph shows "000" signal. That's the confusng part--running a channel scan in setup gives me a 'lock" on all the locals; signal strength is about 95% on each channel but the signal/noise meter shows 0.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Post subject: Never mind...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:07 am 
At this point, 27 views and no comments, so I'll make my own. :D

The card now works! The appropriate, but counterintuitive, choice of decoder card was the "DVB" (not pcHDTV) model. I'd looked at the DVB selection at first and discounted it, because it wanted input parameters like 'cartesian coordinates' and information about LNBs. Someone on another forum told me to choose it anyway. When setting up the choice I left those boxes that I didn't understand blank.

Well, I was flummoxed at first because (using an antenna) during the channel scan it sailed past the analog locals with 'No Lock.' When it got into the twenties it started locking on, and after the scan I discovered my HD local channels were there. There must be some abnormality with the driver as it always shows 0% signal strength, but it works. I also had to choose /dev/dsp0 in setup for sound in order to get audio, as /dev/dsp was the default choice.

Now the next quest...wiping my channel guide info at Zap2It and substituting my cable carrier's information to see what's in the clear...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:51 pm 
That is great to hear because I was giving up on my fusion 5 gold card. Was the card working for QAM or OTA? You said you tried both but I am not sure which actually worked for you.

When I get home I will try this.

-set card to DVB
-set audio to /dev/dsp0
-hook up antenna
-change zap2it to show local hd listings
-scan for channels
-even if it says 0 signal (which is what I am getting now) let it finish
-WATCH TV IN HD!!!

Just wanted to check, and if this works you get a cold one on me! (or if your not into the whole alcohol thing, like myself, I'll buy you a burger)

Post subject: Mmmm...burgers!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:45 pm 
rothgar wrote:
That is great to hear because I was giving up on my fusion 5 gold card. Was the card working for QAM or OTA? You said you tried both but I am not sure which actually worked for you.

When I get home I will try this.

-set card to DVB
-set audio to /dev/dsp0
-hook up antenna
-change zap2it to show local hd listings
-scan for channels
-even if it says 0 signal (which is what I am getting now) let it finish
-WATCH TV IN HD!!!

Just wanted to check, and if this works you get a cold one on me! (or if your not into the whole alcohol thing, like myself, I'll buy you a burger)

This was on OTA. I plan to test cable but haven't had time. I'll probably do it tomorrow evening (after Smallville). :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:33 pm 
when I change the settings to use DVB for the card I get "failed to open card" error. I first changed it and it looked fine so I scanned for channels. It didn't pick up any signal and then i realized the cable wasn't plugged in. I ran mythfilldatabase and then restarted. When the computer came back up I just kept getting the "cannot open card" error. I am trying to reset again. We will see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:47 pm 
I still am having no luck opening the card using DVB settings. I will go ahead and try and reinstall (because my remote didn't install the first time anyway).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:24 am 
try modprobe dvb_bt8xx

then the dvb option should work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:08 pm 
Quote:
try modprobe dvb_bt8xx

then the dvb option should work

I am sorry but I suck at linux.

but a quick google search helped a little.

do I just go to a console and type "modprobe dvb_bt8xx"?
I am guessing I would need to be super user.

thanks[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:53 pm 
modprobe dvb_bt8xx is doing the same thing it was doing before. I tried restarting with the same results.

any other things to try are welcome :)

Post subject: Oh, well...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:47 pm 
I can get the card to work on regular cable (although the analog signal on my system sux), and on rabbit ears with HD. I haven't been able to get the card to tune QAM cable. It may not be the card's fault, as I don't know how tightly TW has locked down their channels.

The one thing about this tuner (or the drivers) that really stinks is that it doesn't like to start up on a channel with no signal. No problems with any other in-device tuner (like in a TV), I'd imagine...you'd just change channels. This MythTV box just shows snow (or a blank screen), the hard drive clatters and clunks, and channel change commands don't work. It's as though the systems "chokes" when it doesn't have a valid signal and it can't do anything else.

I suppose I'll just hook up rabbit ears and go with that for now.