View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: HD QAM Quality
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:41 pm 
I just set up my HD5000 to work over QAM. (setup as a DTV card) I can't help but notice that the quality isn't as good as I hoped it would be. Things are darker and more pixelated that they are on when compared to my cable box.

I'm running VGA -> AA 9A60 (1080i modeline) -> an HDTV.

Do I need to set up different recording profiles for this card? Is it using my "Live" or "Default" recording profiles (i.e. 6000 kbps data rate) or is that kind of thing ignored for a DTV card. I assumed that the card would just pull the channel and write to the drive, but how do I know it isn't transcoding or changing the video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:50 pm 
It isn't transcoding. DVB doesn't do that. you know it's not because on hdtv your delay would be oh an hour or so before tv could start and that's on an insanely fast machine.

Though I must admit the QAM quality on my hd3000 is no where near what I get over firewire or the QAM hdtv tuner in my set. Not sure why I figured it was either I'm actually getting the sd channels or the tuner wasn't so great in the hd3000. I haven't had time to look into it too much.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:03 am 
Interesting...I assumed that the HD5000 would be the same output quality as the firewire out of a DCT6200. What is the differing factor? I guess the tuner on the HD5000 isn't as accurate as the tuner on the DCT6200?

Also, with the HD5000, I could only pick up the 6 regular network channels (OTA equivalent) and ESPN from my Comcast cable. (I ran through about 350 channels returned by my ATSCSCAN, and couldn't find Discovery HD, or the two INHD channels.) I assume they are encrypted, because when the cable guy set up my CableCard, there was a point when I could receive the regular network HD channels, but not Discovery or the INHD channels. He then had to make a phone call to enable the card to view those channels.

I was very disappointed when I couldn't find a way to tune to them via the HD5000. I can watch them on my cable box, but I wonder if a firewire connection between Myth and the box with allow me to record them.

I know that you said you have been able to record some premium content because it comes out of your cable box in the clear, but were you able to tune to those channels with the HD5000? I'm wondering if your cable box decrypted some of the channels before they hit the firewire output or if your content was just in the clear originally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:06 pm 
well that's one of the reasons I think something is not completely right with my hd3000 I cannot get inhd or discovery, however I can get those channels on my hdtv using the internal hdtv tuner, which should be a simple QAM tuner that can only do unencrypted QAM just like the hdtv3000. The other odd thing is that I don't see what difference the tuner quality could possibly make on the resultant video. As the video is already encrypted you should "get it or not". I have some more research to do in this whole QAM arena, but unfortunately not the time to do it.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:21 pm 
I can't record DiscoveryHD or INHD via firewire either.

I used be able to record DiscoveryHD up to a few weeks ago.

I am on Comcast in central NJ.

Xsecrets wrote:
well that's one of the reasons I think something is not completely right with my hd3000 I cannot get inhd or discovery, however I can get those channels on my hdtv using the internal hdtv tuner, which should be a simple QAM tuner that can only do unencrypted QAM just like the hdtv3000. The other odd thing is that I don't see what difference the tuner quality could possibly make on the resultant video. As the video is already encrypted you should "get it or not". I have some more research to do in this whole QAM arena, but unfortunately not the time to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:49 pm 
Well I haven't actually looked to see if either one of those works on my firewire in quite some time, however I happened to be over on my tv's built in tuner the other day, and it was receiving both of them just fine, however I can't seem to find them with the standard us-cable atscscan so I'm not sure I'm using exactly the right freq set or something. Like I said I need to do some more research. I would love to find a place where I could just say hey my internal tuner says 96-2 what's the mythtv settings, but I haven't seen anything like that.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:10 am 
I wonder if it's worth running a scan through the other frequency lists to see if I come up with anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:12 am 
I will probably do that when I get a chance. particularly the new IRC.

Xsecrets