View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: NEXUS-S in Vancouver?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:41 pm 
Hi All,

Is anybody using a NEXUS-S/Mythtv combo in Vancouver, or even canada? I'd like to hear from them, and there thoughts if i should give it a try. I havne't found awhole lot of information on it for the north american market.

Regards,
pro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:45 pm 
pro,

I have a Nexus-S sitting on my desk about to be installed, but have been focused on getting the PVR-500 working until now.

Having said that, I have seen several people on the Al7bar.tk PCI-DVB forums (http://forums.al7bar.tk/forumdisplay.php?f=50) in Canada with the Myth/Nexus-S/T/C configurations in Canada.

I can't think of a reason why it would work better in an other market better than here in Canada. FTA :wink: DVB is the same everywhere, isn't it

Victor
(in Toronto)

Post subject: Canada - Nexus-S
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:34 pm 
Hi All,

Thanks to all who replyed. I tried to talk to some of the local computer shops, (large, lower mainland store) to see if they could point me in the right direction, but most of the replys i got where "People bought it, thinking they could hook it up to there expressvu, we have alot of returns on it". I knew somebody is buying them.. Hehe. I just couldn't dig up who. And most of the googling on that sort of doesn't turn up the primimnary information that i need.. Like, Is it girfriend friendly? Where do i get the listings for it? What is the support like for it?

I'm pretty happy with my current setup, but I'd like to expand it to either FTA or OTA for HD, but living where i do (Langley), I'm not sure how OTA would work.

thanks again,

pro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:44 pm 
pro,

The DVB support is built into the KnoppMyth distribution, and in poking around in the mythtv-setup menus I saw some DiSEQ settings that would be for switching dishes, or controlling horrizon-horrizon motors. So the functionality is there.

Since I don't have direct experience (IOW, i'm talking out of my...), I don't know about the GFQ (Girlfriend Friendly Quotient) is. I suspect there will be a learning curve, but Myth would probably do a good job of hiding the ugly bits.

As for listings, I think there may be some listings using XMLTV.

I would strongly recommend taking a look at the tutorials on the http://forums.al7bar.tk/ site. They are very comprehensive, and will probably answer many of your FTA and general satellite questions.

Victor