View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:50 pm 
Is KnoppMyth R5B7 all set to work with the pdHDTV HD-3000 card without doing any driver compiles, application compiles or updates, etc?

I'm trying to set up an HD-3000 card and have not been able to get the dtvsignal command line application to work.

I ran the dmesg command and do see an entries for the cx88 chip, so I believe the card is being recognized.

One how-to page I saw said to use the generic DVB driver in the Mythtv setup. I did and it seemed to scan the antenna for channels, but the WATCH TV button in Myth didn't display any evidence of video.
Based on this non-functional results, I'm not sure of the correct settings for the HD-3000 card in mythtv-setup. None of the how-to webpages are complete or perhaps have been outdated by this new KnoppMyth release.

What are the correct settings, please? (step by step) Don't leave out any details or steps.

Knowledge appreciated,
Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Last edited by neutron68 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:02 pm 
yes all needed drivers are included "out of the box" all you should have to do is set the card up as a dvb card and do a channel scan. What may not be included are some of the various dvb apps/utilities that some sites/howtos reference. When you did the channel scan did it actually find channels? did they show up in your channel editor step 5 in mythtv setup, and did you make sure you did step4 the input connections? if you didn't then watchtv will not work.

Xsecrets

Post subject: setup steps, please
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:40 am 
I signed up for the channel data service and downloaded the list of channels for the Minneapolis area a month ago. My channel list was populated.

When I went into the mythtv-setup I told it I had a DVB card (device 0) and then went and looked at the channel list (populated) and then clicked the channel scan button. I saw a channel scan screen and could see it was going throught the channel numbers. I couldn't see if there was signal strength on any of them because there is a window in the way (bad program design).

So, while I did see a channel scan go on, I could not tell if any usable signal levels were found.

What programs or tools (outside of Mythtv) are available to test the card for correct setup?
How do I know which device the system calls the card? (/dev/dvb/adapter0 ????)

I'd still like to see a list of proper configuration steps.

Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:43 am 
well I hate to tell you, but you've seen all the howto's from what you've said there is your popular configuration steps. As far as I know no one has done a thorough howto knoppmyth specific on all the possible problems with an hd3000. For the majority of people it should "just work"

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:16 pm 
If the "watch TV" button didn't work with your HD3000, that could be simply due to an incorrect entry for your starting channel. If it's not a valid channel, I believe you don't get any video.

I would try as a better test setting up a recording. If that works, you're good.

The steps to set up the card are a lot less now with R5B7. I have no idea if this is complete and make no claims that they are, but I believe it's basically:

* make sure you have your digital channels set up with Zap2It
* install R5B7
* run mythtv-setup (or let the scripts run it for you, I forget if they do so)
* set up the card as a DVB card
* select your Zap2it digital lineup for your channels (wait for the long pause while the initial 14 days of listings is downloaded)
* connect the card to the lineup
* in Channel setup, use the downloaded channel lineup
* the end

That's for OTA recording; not sure about QAM and cable.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:47 pm 
I think I made progress. WATCH TV still doesn't work, but recording HD does!

As a test, I recorded about 5 minutes off PBS-HD on the history of the forest serivce. You can really tell it is HD, even though it is scaled down to fit on a 1024x768 LCD screen (effective resolution of the 16x9 image is probably about 1024x500)

At this point, the system is just the pc, an LCD monitor, mouse and keyboard - no IR remote or HDTV connected yet.

I typed "mythtv-backend stop" and re-ran the mythtv-setup. I deleted all the capture cards and channels. I then chose the DVB drivers for the capture card. I set 'antenna' as my ATSC input as I will be getting my HD via OTA. It found the HD-3000 card and I did the channel scan to fill the list with actual channels. All the local HD channels came up with at least 50% signal strength. I made sure to set the start channel with one of the just-scanned channels. All seemed good. I closed out mythtv-setup, restarted the mythtv-backend and restarted mythtv.

When Mythtv starts, up I get a black screen (LCD computer monitor) with the show info at the top (show title, channel number, signal strength, etc). I don't have the ability to change channels with the keyboard (arrow keys?) and the only thing I can do is hit the ESC key. No other control works. Sometimes it crashes back to the Linux X desktop. Sometimes it jumps back to the Mythtv menu.

Do these symptoms sound familiar? Do I have something unconfigured yet?

I have not set any video output controls for HDTV. I've not read any how-to directions on that, but I can see where it might be necessary. I'm not sure where to set these output settings, if it is necessary. My goal is to run 1080i out the VGA connector from the onboard nvida video chip (nvidia 6150).

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:07 pm 
You should be able to use your up/down cursor keys which will give you info about the next channel; to select one, press the enter key.

Since you are using a nvidia card, did you turn on XvMC in the front end (setup/TV Playback)?

Check your CPU usage. Bring up a term window before trying to watch live or playback a recording and check you CPU usage by typing top (use Alt-Tab to switch between myth and term window).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:21 am 
sounds like you don't have a good channel setup as your starting channel. make sure the one that recorded fine is set as your starting channel in mythtv-setup.

Xsecrets

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:39 pm 
Thanks for all the good info. I'm writing all these commands down.

The 'top' command showed me that this AMD cpu is 50% occupied when playing back HDTV. Not bad, I guess?

I rescanned my channels and made sure I set the default channel to the known-good, 2_1. The signal strength is very high so that isn't the problem.

I just changed the mpeg2 decoder setting from XvMC to standard and now there is live tv. (using nvidia driver 1.0-8178)

So, the conclusion here is that with nvidia driver 1.0-8178, XvMC doesn't function correctly.

Eric