View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:50 am 
I have just installed KnoppMyth R5F1 onto my Muramasa CV-50. I am very happy with the auto-detection and live TV watching. The main problem is trying to watch closed captions, when CPU usage increases from about 60% to 95+%, and the live playback stutters badly.

The Sharp Muramasa CV-50 is a slightly old laptop with 256 MB of RAM, Transmeta Efficeon TM8600 (1GHz equivalent), ATI Mobility Radeon 9000. Unfortunately, fglrx does not support my model of ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 (M6LY). The radeon driver works, though. Auto-detection works well, I needed to manually install the firmware for my Nebula DigiTV (a terrestial digital TV decoder). I also manually edited the xorg.conf file to set the keyboard layout to a Japanese keyboard.

I set the VBI format to none, rather than PAL. Closed caption continues to work anyway. I guess the Nebula DigiTV is sending across decoded closed caption information anyway.

The main problem is the stuttering when I turn on closed captioning, probably as a result of the excessive CPU usage. The second problem is that the closed caption font size is too large. There are MythTV options to change the type of font (from serif to sans), but not the closed caption size.

I would really like to use the CV-50 as my media centre PC! Other than avoiding spending money on new hardware, the CV-50 is a really quiet laptop, I suspect its power consumption is quite low as well.

Thank you for any assistance!