View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 138 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:01 pm 
mhawkshaw wrote:
tjc wrote:
Cecil has also been feeling a bit under the weather. I suspect his business trip included flying with a head cold which made things worse. When I chatted with him earlier today he was definitely _not_ a happy camper. :(

Sorry to hear you're unwell Cecil :( Take some rest and get well soon!

Hell no, he should work on through, drive himself into the ground, just get us the new version!

:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:32 pm 
Guys,

again, I don't want to rush or push you...
But I'd like (and I guess loooots of others with me) to know when we can see the R5.5 release of KnoppMyth...
I'm doing an AppleTV makeover, and it looks like with R5F27 it's not working too well...
R5.5 would be much better, easier and should have better support (newer kernel and modules etc) so I'd like to start with that instead of putting endless hours in R5F27-on-AppleTV now, and having to redo the whole setup in a week or two...

Don't push yourself, just let us know when we can expect the new release...
1st of June? 15th of June? ...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:15 am 
Site Admin
bkortleven wrote:
again, I don't want to rush or push you...
Then, why ask? The week before, work took me out of town. Last week, I was as sick as I've even been in my life. I've never missed a week of work due to illness. Guess what I have to do this week? Catch up on work... The release will be out, when it is done and not a second before. I feel my head hurting again... Better take my meds (strongest meds I've even been prescribed) and get some rest. Thanks to the testers as usually for testing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:54 am 
OK, as I said earlier, I didn't mean to insult, rush or push you, but I just wanted to know _if_ there was a schedule yet...

Sorry...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:11 am 
And I hope Cecil realised that my comment two or three up was completely tongue in cheek.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:56 am 
Site Admin
Trust me, no one wants this release out sooner than I. However, there are nagging issues. These things just drive me batty, but thanks to the testers and contributers we are hammering them out. We hope to quash all the bugs so you don't have to worry about them. Please have a little more patients and stick with us. I'm sure you'll be please with the results. Thanks again for using KnoppMyth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:22 am 
Please don't take this the wrong way cecil, but it seems to me that knoppmyth is suffering from being essentially a one man band. It is a while since 0.21 came out and both of your major "competitors" mythbuntu and mythdora are ahead. I know you will come out with a better product, but in terms or "market perception" you are currently behind the 8 ball.

Again its not a criticism, Mdora and Mbuntu are certainly less polished and Mbuntu annoys me in some respects, but it has a kernel that supports my wireless card and it has 0.21, so in the meantime you lose one supporter, hopefully only temporarily!

Looking forward to the new release, and all the best for getting better.

And if theres any particular help or testing you need (particularly with multirec which is the 0.21 feature I really needed) let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:51 am 
nickrout wrote:
I know you will come out with a better product, but in terms or "market perception" you are currently behind the 8 ball.

I do get what you're saying nickrout, but I do think perhaps the group of folks who are after the most recent version of mythtv are not necessarily the largest market segment for KnoppMyth.

KnoppMyth's primary strength is that it is a system that is entirely put together and tested in a fairly monolithic design - there aren't many ways to run KnoppMyth, relatively speaking, so consequently there aren't as many variations which could screw up its operation.

One of the main reasons I love KnoppMyth is I know that somewhere there is ONE GUY who is personally testing the EXACT setup I'm using (Dragon 2.0) so when he's released a distribution I am confident I'm not the only one who has tried this particular combination of hardware and software options.

In my work, I would love to have this kind of stability - a reference platform, that I know all of the components have been tested on at once. Too often you find because of the *one* thing you have that is different you are left alone and nobody can help you.

Anyway, my R5F27 is still working great because of the last great job cecil did so I'm in no hurry for this next release. If I had a spare box, and really wanted to try out the latest 0.21 mythtv release, I'd probably go grab ubuntu and install all the parts and probably get 90% of the way there. But since this is the box that my wife watches her shows on, I'd rather wait.

Thank you cecil for your hard work. I personally am looking forward to the next release from this one man band, even if it does come out later than the others. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:29 am 
nickrout wrote:
Please don't take this the wrong way cecil, but it seems to me that knoppmyth is suffering from being essentially a one man band. It is a while since 0.21 came out and both of your major "competitors" mythbuntu and mythdora are ahead. I know you will come out with a better product, but in terms or "market perception" you are currently behind the 8 ball.

Again its not a criticism, Mdora and Mbuntu are certainly less polished and Mbuntu annoys me in some respects, but it has a kernel that supports my wireless card and it has 0.21, so in the meantime you lose one supporter, hopefully only temporarily!

And if theres any particular help or testing you need (particularly with multirec which is the 0.21 feature I really needed) let me know.

Sorry, but its hard not to take this in the wrong way. Do you go posting on the Mdora and Mbuntu boards about why they can't be more like KM? Do you go posting on those boards about why its taking them so long to be more like KM?

The release will come. It may be a few weeks and it may be a couple of months. You can get the source for r5f27 and (maybe I'm wrong) I believe you can include the parts for your wireless card and the upgrade to .21 and compile it yourself. This is an ambitious project and its just gonna take time.

Cecil, thanks again for all your efforts and those of the testers and contributors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:37 am 
"Working well" is an important consideration for a Mythbox. We all are hobbyists, and like to play, but more and more, we are turning Mythboxes over to 'civilians' where they will need to run with little support from the guy who cobbled it together.

The next distro will have 'nice toys', but they aren't a consideration enough to release with 'nits' that will need to be serviced individually after release, when they could have been stamped out before the release went out.

I have a F1 (if it ain't broke, don't fix it...) and three F27's running in the hands of civilians and haven't had a repair call yet.... :lol:

I have a test box running the RC14, that's been as reliable as the production boxes (with a few 'nits' that don't affect the basic usage as a media center)

I have a 1TB drive awaiting incorporation into a new box with the release, but can wait 'til it's out- Don't want to drive Cecil to actually TAKING that Microshaft job !!.... :twisted:

Thanks for all your efforts Cecil- You made the Mythbox a success for the masses !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:24 am 
Couldn't agree with you more rollit... except that my system was a little more daring than yours :P

I'm just happy I stumbled across KM and can't do much besides thank Cecil for all the work he puts in without asking for anything in return... and all of this ON TOP of his regular day job. I wish I had that kind of motivation, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:37 pm 
Site Admin
nickrout wrote:
LOL! KnoppMyth isn't a one man band. However, the buck stops here. If I release KnoppMyth and something is broken for a user, no one feels worse about it than I. The bits are already there for anyone that wants 0.21 to just compile it.

KnoppMyth is a project I started. I see it as my responsibility lead and maintain the development (and I'm not a trained developer). Early on, folks criticized KnoppMyth for X, Y or Z. Some of those folks stated they would help with development, but that help never came about. So, I see it an my responsibility to march on with bayonet in fixed.

KnoppMyth isn't like Mythdora or Mythbuntu. KnoppMyth is entirely put together myself and the dev team (Yes, we use Debian and Knoppix, but the parts that make KnoppMyth is a result of our hard work). I patch and compile the kernel. Guess how many paid developers work on Ubuntu's kernel? 5 (I got this number from one of the Mythbuntu developers). No one pays me to work on KnoppMyth. Yet, "you come out with a better product,"... But you want to jump ship?

nickrout wrote:
Have you stepped up and asked about testing to ensure R 5.5 supports your wireless card? Which wireless card do you have? Have you posted on getting your wireless card working KnoppMyth and brought it to my attention so it will just work in future releases? If a user provides the details, I think I go out of my way to ensure what the issue is, it is resolved in the next and future releases.
nickrout wrote:
Thanks, getting better each day. I'm back to working on KnoppMyth in the evenings (and late night and the weekends).
nickrout wrote:
Mutlirec is a MythTV feature, so I cannot state I need help testing it... I think I posted enough about what you can do above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:52 pm 
Site Admin
The bottom line is, I see it as my duty to continually attempt to improve KnoppMyth (since I started it). If I don't, who will? And if it takes a little longer to get it right, then so be it. MUCH thanks to those that understand this and have stuck with me for almost 5 years now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:01 pm 
Please note that I am not making any criticism, I was just commenting that the common mentality will be "mythbuntu has 0.21, knoppmyth doesn't therefore mythbuntu is better".

We all know thats not true, but thats a perception that some will carry.

As far as testing is concerned, no I didn't actually step up, but I did see that the requests earlier in this thread for a link to the release candidate went unanswered, so I didn't bother.

Cecil, I'd be happy to test, so let me know if I can help. The card is a USB rt2x00 based card that doesn't work properly in R5F27. Its a Linksys WUSB54GC. I know that kernel 2.6.23 doesn't have the drivers, but I thought it might be easier to install the rt2x00 drivers on the new knoppmyth than the old.

However I just got another USB based card which works on another chipset (zd1211 or something, sorry its at home) which I would be happy to test too.

I realise its not a "one man band" but i guess it has a "one man bottleneck" in everything going through you. Again thats not a ctiticism, you no doubt get better quality control by testing and approving everything, and your dedication to getting the product right are why we keep returning :-)

Post subject: compiling the kernel
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:38 pm 
Cecil,
Thanks for all your hard work. I know you are not the only bottleneck. There are bottlenecks all the way up the line all the way to linus and the kernel developers themselves. Everyone is interdependent. Its very zen.

Anyway, I'd be happy to help test. Primarily, I hope to be able to compile modules against the kernel source. I'd love to be able to get your .config and list of kernel-patches you need so that I could attempt to download new debian backported or testing kernel sources and recompile. Many of us know how to upgrade add modules and compile custom kernels the debian way. For example,
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system ... KERNEL-PKG

I think as long as these are available, people can't complain too much if their modern hardware doesn't work. For instance, a but in libata requires me to use 2.6.23? or later to get my sata ncq hard drive from flaking out.

thanks again

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 138 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next