View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:58 pm 
I have two tuners, Hauppage 250 and 150 in my system. Come next year they will be useless for broadcast channels (one records from my directtv box, so those channels are fine). I signed up for the vouchers for the DTV to analog boxes so I can get two boxen for like $10 each, but can these be used with MythTV?

Should I Just forget the trouble of using those boxes and just get a couple of digital tv cards and toss the hauppage ones?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:05 pm 
Since this topic has already been under discussion for quite a while now I'd suggest joining the thread here: http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17488

Post subject: not the same, really
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:20 pm 
I don't think this is the same question at all. I did read that thread already.

I am just talking about over the air broadcasts, firstly. I have directtv for non OTA channels (sci fi, usa, etc) and I can record those just fine using the hauppage card and an ir blaster to control my directv box.

But for OTA, my hauppage cards will be useless in less than a year.

I have two vouchers for the digital to analog boxes, which means I can get them for like 10 to $20. These are basically complete Digital TV receivers with remotes that can plug into your analog TV.

What I am wondering is if these can be controled via an ir blaster and then routed into the hauppage cards composite inputs for recording. I can only assume they do not have any kind of digital output or firewire or anything that could be used directly without the haupage card.

yes, I understand I would only get standard resolution tv, but I dont have an HDTV anyway. I just want to keep using my mythbox with a minimum expense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:41 pm 
I have an old WinTV board, and the 'tuner' side of it will be useless in a year also. :( The sad part is that I bought it in 1999 (yep!) and finally started using it just ONE year ago.

Such is life.

As for using one of the ATSC Coupon Boxes: Bad idea.

NONE of the units will output Stereo Audio Via the RF (Coax - Ch 3/4) output. If you want stereo, you'll have to use the Composite/Left/Right cables, then that means that your cable box will need another connection.

NTSC tuners will only useful for cable or Low Power stations that remain in Analog format...for how long?

FYI: More discussion of the Converter Boxes can be found on avsforum.com, in the HDTV section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:41 pm 
I expect that you can control them via IR Blaster, and record via "channel 3" technique.

If you have enough CPU in your KM box though, maybe it's time to treat yourself to a new TV? Get a $40 K-World 110 tuner, and go HD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:58 pm 
Hi,
Must be a count down clock some around some where for Feb 17 2009...
I just picked up the Wal-Mart converter and feed my 350 card. Makes nice pictures using the composite. The rf should also be stereo but haven't confirmed yet.

So far this is what I have for notes.
http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... 758e6e8e6e

As far as I understand, cable doesn't have to switch for a few years after the big day so by that time maybe the old tv will crap out and you have a needed excuse to spend a $$$$ on a hd set.

Digital ota is still free so a one time expenditure of ~$10 +tax didn't even slow me down for that choice.
Mike
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:13 pm 
greywire wrote:
Should I Just forget the trouble of using those boxes and just get a couple of digital tv cards and toss the hauppage ones?

IMO, yes. I've been using old air2pc cards from ebay very successfully, paid more between $20-$40 each for them, and they just work. In fact, the extra power drawn by the converter box eliminates ANY initial cost savings at some point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:43 am 
mjl wrote:
As far as I understand, cable doesn't have to switch for a few
years after the big day

Cable doesn't ever _have_ to switch. But, they will as soon as
they think they can get away with forcing everybody to get a
set-top box.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:41 am 
mogator88 wrote:
In fact, the extra power drawn by the converter box eliminates ANY initial cost savings at some point.

the Zeinth one uses only 7w, thats going to take quite a while to add up.

Grant_Edwards wrote:
set-top box.

the FCC will not allow the cable companies to force everyone to need a cable box, they must still retransmit the basic networks (what you can get OTA) unencrypted, which you only need a ntsc tuner for.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:08 am 
mrjackson wrote:
Grant_Edwards wrote:
set-top box.

the FCC will not allow the cable companies to force everyone to need a cable box, they must still retransmit the basic networks (what you can get OTA) unencrypted, which you only need a ntsc tuner for.

Is the requirement that local broadcast channels be NTSC, or that they be unencrypted?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:10 am 
i believe unencrypted is the requirement, as long as it works the same as using an antenna.