View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:56 pm 
Hi,

Does anyone know what software component (mplayer, etc.) is used to create the previews on the Watch Recordings screen? I have several recordings that don't play in full screen (horizontal banding) but their previews play beautifully on the Watch Recordings screen. I would like to try using the same component to watch these shows.

By "horizontal banding" I mean it is like the screen were divided into 200 or more horizontal bands and each band is offset from the other so much so that the picture isn't recognizable. It seems like a scan line problem, but I also tried all scan line options (progressive, interlaced normal, interlaced reversed) and had no change in the picture.

Or if anyone knows how I might fix the Myth fullscreen playback I'd appreciate that info. These videos also won't play as streams from mythweb. I haven't tried downloading the nuv file yet to try playing.

Thanks.

Trying to install KnoppMyth R5F27, ECS 671T-M, Celeron 430, 1gig RAM, 320gig SATA Seagate, Samsung SATA SH-S203N DVD drive, Onboard video and audio, DVICO Fusion HDTV 5 Lite, Seasonic S12II-330watt PS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:21 pm 
I believe it is mplayer that does it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:38 pm 
It doesn't use mplayer, it uses the internal player. You can easily prove this to yourself by running "top" when the previews are on the screen. The big things you'll see using CPU time are mythfrontend and Xorg.

Your question thus becomes, why does the scaled down preview look better than the full-size playback. There are a number of possible reasons ranging from different filters, to different CPU usage (maybe painting that small inset window takes less), to you just can't see the defects at reduced scale, and beyond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:16 pm 
I'm not familiar with the "DVICO Fusion HDTV 5 Lite" tuner. I am not familiar with the tuner, but from it's name I assume it records digital transmissions that can be either hidef or stddef. I also notice that you're processor is a celeron. I doubt that a celeron has the processing capacity to playback hidef recordings. Are the recordings that play back well stddef and the problematic one's hidef? If you're not sure, simply look at the file sizes. Hidef recordings run 7GB - 8GB/hour. Standard def recordings run 1.5GB - 2GB/hour.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:28 pm 
marc.aronson wrote:
I also notice that you're processor is a celeron. I doubt that a celeron has the processing capacity to playback hidef recordings.

Not meaning to drift off topic, but it can be done. With NOTHING extra running in the background, I was easily able to do 720p on a Celeron D 336 (2.8GHz) with XvMC. 1080i was a little touchy, but I was able to do it with XvMC as well. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:45 pm 
mihanson wrote:
marc.aronson wrote:
I also notice that you're processor is a celeron. I doubt that a celeron has the processing capacity to playback hidef recordings.

Not meaning to drift off topic, but it can be done. With NOTHING extra running in the background, I was easily able to do 720p on a Celeron D 336 (2.8GHz) with XvMC. 1080i was a little touchy, but I was able to do it with XvMC as well. :)

That's a reasonable observation, but I believe that a Celeron 430 is 1.8ghz. In any event, best bet is to remote login to the box and run "top" to see what CPU utilization is like when playing back the recordings that cause the problem.

Marc