View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:16 pm 
Whenever I try to "Watch TV", the frontend quits. This is actually happening on two different frontends, with two different video cards.

1: Combined Frontend/Backend w/ nVidia Riva TNT
I have tried both the nv and nvidia driver, both with the same result. I have also tried switching playback mechanisms, i.e., from XvMC to ffmpeg, etc., but nothing's changed.

2: Diskless Frontend w/ Intel i810 (netboots off the Backend)
Using the i810 driver.

The Wiki states that "About 99 times out of 100 the problem here is that your tuner card isn't tuning" but I know it is not a tuner problem, because a third frontend (MacBook) can Watch TV without issue. Also, both the first and second frontends can play MythVideo files just fine. I don't understand how it can be a video driver issue if two different frontends are having the same problem; but since the diskless frontend boots off the backend, maybe that's why they are both having the same issue?

I can't seem to find any error messages in the logs about it. I checked .xsession-errors after the quit, and there's no additional information at all.

I'm not sure how to proceed.

Hardware:

KnoppMyth R5.5 FE/BE:
AMD Athlon 1 GHz
768 MB RAM
500 GB HDD
60 GB HDD
30 GB HDD
nVidia Riva TNT
Hauppauge PVR-150

KnoppMyth R5.5 Diskless FE:
Celeron 700 MHz
256 MB RAM
Intel i810 integrated graphics

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:41 pm 
Did you just upgrade or do a clean install? You didn't mention recent changes.

Has it ever worked with 5.5? What's in the frontend log file? FE file is at /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:24 pm 
An upgrade (sort of). I was running a combined fe/be R5F27 on an older machine (which is now the diskless fe). Then, I wanted to switch over to the newer machine that is the current fe/be. I backed up, moved over the hard drive and most of the hardware to the new machine, and restored.

Watching TV (or for that matter, recordings) has never worked on the new Athlon-based fe/be or the diskless fe (but like I said, the be does record and tune without issue).

fe/be with nvidia driver:

mythfrontend.log contains this error:

Code:
mythfrontend: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libmythtv-0.21.so.0: undefined symbol: glXGetProcAddress

If I switch to the nv driver, I get the same error. The diskless fe with i810 driver also has the same error.

I've googled and found some stuff about this particular error, but I can't really make out what to do. The links all seem to be about nVidia stuff, which doesn't explain why the diskless fe wouldn't work, too.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/+bug/201567
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=721957

Here's the device section of my xorg.conf, too, in case that's useful:

Code:
Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
# sw_cursor is needed for some ati and radeon cards
        #Option     "sw_cursor"
        #Option     "hw_cursor"
        #Option     "NoAccel"
        #Option     "ShowCache"
        #Option     "ShadowFB"
        #Option     "UseFBDev"
        #Option     "Rotate"
        Identifier  "Card0"
# The following line is auto-generated by KNOPPIX mkxf86config
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "All"
        BoardName   "All"
#       BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:27 pm 
There are a number of things which tend to get set to use OpenGL rendering, and it doesn't look like either of your machines have chipsets that support it. You need to turn it off in the DB. The ThemePainter setting is one of the big ones, also UseOpenGLVSync, and I forget what else... As root try running:
Code:
twk_graphics.pl --implement low

on both boxes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:57 pm 
I tried the twk_graphics script on both machines, but with no effect. Both mythfrontend.log files terminate with the same error message described above. Also, the script complained about a database error on the diskless fe:

Code:
root@minimyth:/home/gjm# twk_graphics.pl --implement low             
DBI connect('mythconverg:localhost','mythtv',...) failed: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) at /etc/perl/Tweaker/Script.pm line 119
Can't call method "prepare" on an undefined value at /etc/perl/Tweaker/Script.pm line 137.
root@minimyth:/home/gjm#

Also, just out of curiousity, I thought both the nVidia RIVA TNT and Intel 810 supported OpenGL...

From reading the forum threads I linked to earlier, it seems like there is a problem with the legacy nvidia driver not supporting GLX 1.4, but I don't know what that means or how to fix it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:29 am 
There are chipsets which supposedly support GL which flat out don't. The MX4 embedded graphics (Nforce2 IGP) in my test box is one example. Try to use anything beyond the most trivial function and you're lucky if the FE only exits, rather than locking up so that you have to use the reset or power button to recover.

Post subject: FIXED
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:02 pm 
I replied to a similar post in the hardware forum that was having the same problem:

I have the same problem with my old NVIDIA cards.

I took Cecil's configure command and extended it to disable the offending code.
Getting Schedules Direct working with KnoppMyth

Code:
svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/branches/release-0-21-fixes/
cd release-0-21-fixes/mythtv
./configure --prefix=/usr --arch=i586 --enable-dvb --enable-firewire --dvb-path=/usr/include --enable-xvmc --enable-xvmc-vld --enable-opengl-vsync --enable-mmx --enable-proc-opt --enable-memalign-hack --enable-xvmc-pro --enable-glx-procaddrarb
qmake mythtv.pro
make
su
make install
exit

This section in the configure command fixes the crashing problem. --enable-glx-procaddrarb

Doing a ./configure --help does not show this option as it can produce a binary that will not run (with newer nvidia drivers).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:35 pm 
Site Admin
No in front of my BE at the moment (I believe playback profile). Did you show how enable GL rendering?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:44 am 
Hmm, I am having this problem with 5.5 also. Recently built install with an ATI Radeon 7000 video card, front end playback was about 0.5fps and menu's were sluggish, so I replaced it with a Quadro2 Pro (IBM FRU 48P9014) I had, now menu response is fast, but livetv or viewing previous recordings kills the frontend and drops me back to the desktop.

Using tweaker made no difference, compiling as above has resolved it and it works fine again