View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:30 pm 
Previously had Comcast and I'm not sure I had a significant lineup change in the 3 or so years I was using them with MythTV. The few channels that changed were ones I wasn't interested in.

I'm now on Verizon FiOS and in mid-September they're going to change their lineup drastically in our area. Channels are moving all over the place and lots of new ones are being added: it's a major-league restructuring.

If anyone's gone through such a major overhaul in their area, what's the best way to handle it? I guess I will have to deal with it on two fronts:

1) for my PVR-150 connected to a set-top box, at some point the Schedules Direct lineups will change. Will the nightly mythfilldatabase handle adding/removing channels or will I have to do that manually? (If I remember correctly, I'll have to manually log into my SD account and check/uncheck channels there first.)

2) for my HD HomeRun connected to Fios via QAM, I guess I'll have to rescan after the SD lineup changes and channels are added/removed?

Thanks for any helpful hints.

Post subject: directv in NY too
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:16 pm 
Directv juggled some channels. On the web schedules direct has got the new updates correct. The program guide has not yet made the changes.

just thought I'd share...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:13 pm 
I just had a channel lineup change (Comcast finally added Big Ten Network - woo hoo!) and forgot how to handle it. :-) It had been quite some time since I had to do this.

The nightly mythfilldatabase routine will not update channels for various reasons. Once Schedules Direct has caught up with the change, you will need to run mythfilldatabase manually to gather the updates:

Code:
$ mythfilldatabase --do-channel-updates

At first, I tried

Code:
$ mythfilldatabase --only-update-channels

but that did not seem to work. The --do-channel-updates went rather quickly and was the only thing that I needed to do in order to get my channels up-to-date.

As far as your QAM tuners, yeah, you'll need to wait until the channel updates are pushed to you, and then do a re-scan as if you were setting up the tuner for the first time.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:38 pm 
Go Big Ten! My alma mater is a pretend Big Ten school (i.e. Northwestern). :) From your A2 location it looks like you root for a real Big Ten school.

Thanks for the mythfilldatabase hint. I was thinking I was going to have to drop channels and the QAM tuner, then rebuild everything. I'll cross my fingers for next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:49 pm 
It seems like schedulesdirect changes my dish network
listings at least once a month. It is usually to add a premium
channel that I don't get and then it tries to record something
from a channel that says "you don't have this channel, press
cancel" for an hour and causes me to miss a recording
elsewhere, but I digress...

In the past I have found that it adds new channels to the
mythtv listing automatically, but will not remove old ones
(that you have already removed from schedulesdirect).

First update your schedules direct listing, then exit your
frontend and stop your backend ('/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend stop').
Then run 'mythfilldatabase --refresh-all' as user mythtv from
an xterm, then run mythtv-setup from an xterm as root and
go into the channel editor and delete all the channels you
don't want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:38 pm 
Not only do I root...I'm an alum, and am back as a staff member. :-)

Actually, some of our best friends in my profession wear purple and white. Most shocking to just about everyone is that some of our other great friends sport crimson and gray! :-) Actually, we have great friends all over the Big Ten - we get together once a year (we rotate universities) and have a great time.

Do let us know if you have any trouble with your lineup changes. It sounds like cliffsjunk has had a harder time than most...hopefully you won't have to resort to anything that laborious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:21 pm 
The big changeover went through early Monday morning, so most of my Monday recordings were screwed... wrong channels.

See my separate posting concerning the excellent service I got from Schedules Direct... I informed them of the lineup switch yesterday, and today all the channel additions/changes were in my Schedules Direct lineup.

I made sure that the channels I wanted were selected, saved lineup, then used your "mythfilldatabase --do-channel-updates" command. Just checked my upcoming recordings and everything is working!

Now I just have to rescan my QAM tuner and I'm good to go... until at least February 2009. :)

Thanks again.

EDIT: I'm now noticing everything isn't quite working... I want to record something from my over-the-air tuner, but after telling it to record anytime on that channel, it is trying to record some days over-the-air and some days via the cable box (which I can't record HD from... yet).

Oh well, at least it's close, I can work with this for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:59 pm 
cliffsjunk.
I was having the same issue with new channels in my Dishnetwork.

I asked and got this fix.
http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... 185#115185

hth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:25 pm 
cenvee: I'm taking a bit of a shot in the dark, but I would guess that MythTV is looking at the channel lineups in your cable channels, comparing it to the channels in your OTA lineup, and seeing the same XMLTV ID numbers - meaning that, as far as it is concerned, they really are the same channel. I would log into Schedules Direct, uncheck the HD channels that you cannot use right now, and then refresh your lineups on your KnoppMyth box so that it does not attempt to use those channels on that tuner.

Once you get one of Hauppauge's new HD recorders, you can switch those channels back on again. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:49 am 
akulcsar wrote:
I would log into Schedules Direct, uncheck the HD channels that you cannot use right now, and then refresh your lineups on your KnoppMyth box so that it does not attempt to use those channels on that tuner.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. It's odd that it didn't do that before, but maybe SD or TMS or FiOS standardized channel names and they hadn't done that before.